HD600 Question : Why the Cardas cable?
Feb 7, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #16 of 53
Kenchi, Do you really know what gauge the wires in the grado 'phones are?

Cable size says nothing about the construction of it

Feb 8, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #17 of 53
Bangaraman, I'm just sick of the CD3000 craze that's going on. If he wants to upgrade the 600s, it makes more sense to go 600s plus cable since he didn't say he hated the sound of them.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 8, 2003 at 5:09 AM Post #18 of 53
Firstly, thanks to everybody for your help. Since it will be a little while before I buy new phones (due to funding restrictions... none of us are immune), I'll probably try to demo some different things before I make any purchases. But to respond to individual posts:

HD-500: I know what an audiophile is, and I can hear all the subtle nuances in my music. Thats why I like this site so much. And the monstercable comment was a reference to the current trend in the entire home entertainment universe to buy friggin $80 Monstercables to hook up the stereo sound on a 2-head vcr. I realize that cables CAN cost a great deal more than that. I'm just trying to do a little homework before I end up spending way to much money paying for a name.

Kenchi: Squeeze the cord of your sr80's between your thumb and index finger. If they're like the sr60's, the plastic tubing has a bit of give before you pinch the actual wire inside. Grado just puts a big tube around their wire to protect it. That doesn't mean its a low gauge or high quality wire.

HendrixFreak: I tend to agree with you. My best friend is EE and we've had this discussion many times. And, at the end of the day, all tech specs aside, what sounds the best to you is the best for you.

Again, thanks for the help, everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 10:49 AM Post #19 of 53
I really dont see the aftermarket cables as a minor tweek for the HD600/580 and you dont need to be an audiophile to hear the difference. The stock HD580 has an obvious muffle-ness in the lower mid-range and is veiled with a polite studio sound. With the Cardas, there was a remarkable improvement in ALL areas, especially in the unveiling and a more lively presentation. It also extended the range and provide for a much larger soundstage.

Ive yet to hear anyone write that they were unable to tell any difference between the cardas and stock cable.

Feb 8, 2003 at 10:58 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
Ive yet to hear anyone write that they were unable to tell any difference between the cardas and stock cable.

Even a certain someone who was very skeptical to the whole cable thing couldn't help but notice a difference
wink.gif

I think i'm one of the only people in the UK to have the Cardas cable... but, I think I could've found some converts
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 4:19 PM Post #21 of 53
Bleach,
You don't need the Cardas for you HD-600 to sound great, you can enchance your HD600 with the Clou Red cable. The difference b/w the stock and replacement cable is noticeable. If you can find the clou red for around 70 bucks, grab it. Headroom is selling this for 120 dollars. The problems with this cable is the stiffness and the size of the cable.

wallijonn,
Well said, I agree with you. I really think purity of the copper wire and the nominal size of the copper wire makes all the difference.

Jahjahblink,
The CD3000 seems like a great headphone. Hirsch, and many who've heard them or audition them seem to agree.

Feb 8, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Even a certain someone who was very skeptical to the whole cable thing couldn't help but notice a difference
wink.gif

I think i'm one of the only people in the UK to have the Cardas cable... but, I think I could've found some converts
wink.gif

Ahhh, I live in the UK too mate, I'm considering weather to get the Cardas cable; I've only just got my HD600's. I don't know weather to get an amp, or the cable.

Decisions decisions...

Feb 8, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #23 of 53
Ideally shuurajou you need both
frown.gif

How i'm selling things like there is no tomorrow... watch out... The Cardas could well be outta the door too
wink.gif

Damn the portable bug!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #24 of 53
I image (don't currently have a HD600 but have heard it amped and un-amped) that an amp will make considerably more improvements to the sound over the cable.

As far as I know the 3 biggest factors for sound are: source, amp (you need enough to power 300ohm) and headphone.

So my advice go with an amp

Well my uneducated thoughts anyway.

Wordsworth

Feb 8, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 53
Wordsworth...

I'm tempted to ditch them... the D66 & A900s are the only 'phones gracing my head at the moment...

Watch this space
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by wordsworth
Not sure I need the HD600 or the Cardas if I get the HD580 as like you I am mainly into portable listening, but let me know if you sell them so I can feel tempted
biggrin.gif

I've just posted in my FS thread
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Copper wire ain't exactly copper wire. Most stock copper wire is so extremely thin that much of the signal gets lost, due to their high resistance.

Right, thin cable has higher resistance than thick cable. What difference does that make to the electrical signal? Well, I haven't done any maths at all, but in the real world, dealing with real thick and thin cable, I'd hazzard a guess that it makes no detectable difference at all. If there was a measurable difference, it would only be in level, or loudness, anyway, especially with high impedance cans like HD600s.

I've just measured the resistance of the HD600 cable. Less than 1 Ohm. What would be the effect of reducing this to 0 Ohms. Absolutely nothing (almost), considering the 300 Ohm impedance, which will itself change considerably with frequency.

All this is despite being fairly sure I heard quite a difference with the Cardas cable at last week's London meet. After flailing around for words, the best description I could come up with was that there seemed to be more of everything, which, er, would be exactly the effect of remove resistance from the circuit. Um, that is exactly what I was attempting to convey, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back