HD600 overkill for computer?
Sep 12, 2002 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SonicFlux

New Head-Fier
***UPDATE***
I just bought the HD600s from The Great Indoors in Houston for $250. The HD590s were being sold for the same price. I demo'd them both and found the 600 more to my liking, although the 590 was a bit lighter and more comfortable.

I'm pleased with the way they sound connected directly to my TBSC sound card with no amp. I also hooked them up to my main Onkyo system and was blown away!

I also discovered that hooking up my homemade cmoy amp to the Onkyo CD player, while making the v600s sound better, it completey trashed the sound eminating from the HD600s... time to make a better amp
smily_headphones1.gif

SonicFlux

Money is not an issue, but I don't want to go overboard...

I'm looking at the HD580 or HD600 primarily for computer headphones connected to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz playing games and DVDs and about 10% of the time connected an Onkyo integrated amp/CD player.

My main reason for picking the HDs is comfort since I'll be wearing more than a few hours at a time.

1. Is there any comfort difference between the HD580 and HD600?

Also, I just built my first headphone amp (cmoy). It was a success, and I had fun doing it thanks to this community! I plan to build the META42 and the KG Class A dynamic amp, so...

2. Would it be worth spending the extra money for HD600 knowing that eventually I'll be running the KG amp with the TBSC card? Or will the source be so crappy anyway, there won't be a difference between the 580/600?

Sep 12, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 6
Re: HD580/600 with computer...
I think it's worth it. I've tried running my HD600 without the Cardas cable straight from the headphone jack of my Hercules Game Theater XP's breakout box and it sounds very good even with MP3s. The HD600 is not the most revealing headphone around (I'm thinking Grado HP-1000), and this can be very useful with MP3s and other computer audio.

Anyway, running that setup I had very good sound, though perhaps not on the level to be considered "reference" sound quality. With an amp like a META42 or this KG amp (I'm assuming it's on par with or better than the META42) you'll have very good sound indeed.

Maybe in a few months or maybe a year you'll decide you want to get a separate source for your CDs, but even without one I think you'll enjoy the sound if you get HD600s.

Re: HD580 vs. HD600...
The HD580 and HD600 are built the same way in terms of ergonomics. They just look a little different -- many prefer the looks of the HD580 to the HD600.

I can't comment on the sound differences because I haven't done any A/B comparisons between the two. However, I have read that the engineering difference is that the HD600's drivers are more closely matched.

Sep 12, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks DanG,

Looks like I'll get the 600s. I have a bday coming up, and my gf said she would buy me headphones. 4 years ago we bought each other mountain bikes, and she must still use that as a reference because she asked me what headphones I wanted, and I said, "well, er... um... they're very expensive."
She asked exactly how much, and I replied, "about $250."
Then she said, "that's cheaper than the bikes, so it won't be a problem." lol, lucky me
tongue.gif

hmm... of course, the downside is that I have to match or beat that present for her bday
eek.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by SonicFlux
Thanks DanG,

Looks like I'll get the 600s. I have a bday coming up, and my gf said she would buy me headphones. 4 years ago we bought each other mountain bikes, and she must still use that as a reference because she asked me what headphones I wanted, and I said, "well, er... um... they're very expensive."
She asked exactly how much, and I replied, "about $250."
Then she said, "that's cheaper than the bikes, so it won't be a problem." lol, lucky me
tongue.gif

Dude,

I want to date your girlfriend. In fact, I'm looking to marry someone who will support me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, I use my TBSC for music playback, and it's a nice card as a source, especially in light of the updated kmixer.dll in SP1. I can actually enjoy 44.1 tracks again.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back