HD600 or HD650
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #31 of 55

Quote:
I personally have the HD650s and have not yet had the opportunity to try the HD600s, but I love the 650s and you can always get a better amp if you want. Really, your decision can come down to price (the 650s are normally at least $100 more than the 600s, but I've seen places where they're pretty similar in price) and whether or not you think you'd like a headphone that's a little darker (650) or a little brighter (600). At least that's my take on it. (And the 600s aren't actually a bright headphone from what I've read, just brighter than the 650s).

Which amp can drive these headphones well? Plan to look it from the Amplification For Sales Forum..Hope to get one which is not too expensive as my budget will be tight after I get either of the headphones

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #32 of 55
Personally, I've been using an Audinst HUD-mx1 ($180) and it's worked well so far. It has both the 3.5 mm and 6.3 mm jacks, so you'd be set with either purchase (the 600 uses a 3.5 mm and the 650 uses a 6.3 mm). It is a DAC with a built-in amp, and it can drive the 650s well, or at least for the price. It's a fairly small unit and can be driven by USB alone, so it'd make a good laptop amp, if that's necessary. I know there are many price points (obviously), so it really just depends on how much you want to spend (and how long you want to wait before you want to buy something new).

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #33 of 55

Quote:
From what I've read:

HD650: More impact in the low end. Slightly warmer midrange and less soundtage.
HD600: Wider soundstage, slightly more treble emphasis with less bass. 

That sums it all. Sound stage wise, they are both about the same if not the same, it's just the warmth on the 650 that makes it seem a little closed in. HD600 can get bright...but it's easier to tone that down than trying to make the HD650 brighter.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:
Yea, I think I would go for HD650 instead..But my main concern is that I am afraid that my D4 is not able to drive it well

The HD600 and HD650 are the same when it comes to amping requirements, and you're right that the D4 may not be enough to bring out their full potential. Don't worry about that though. The benefits of amping are very real but also very exagerrated, you will still enjoy your headphones and they will still sound good. Just have it in your mind that your next purchase will be a used desktop amp, and know that when you do finally get one your phones will sound loads better. It'll be a treat.

One of the main things that does take a noticable hit when a phone is under-amped is its bass response, this is actually an argument for an HD650 rather than an HD600. The HD600 is already a pretty bass shy phone and may end up aneamic. The HD650 is by no means a bass monster, but is definitely bassy, so even though it will take a hit you will still have a respectable amount of bass going on.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #35 of 55
In terms of which amp - any desk top should do the job. These Sennheisers aren't overly sensitive or picky.

First first HD650 amp was the little dot MK V and that was nice - very crisp and articulate if a little on the clinical side. I've since upgraded to a Corda Cantate - much warmer and more musical and comes with Meier Crossfeed and an inbuilt DAC section (admitted a bit average).

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #36 of 55

Quote:
Quote:

The HD600 and HD650 are the same when it comes to amping requirements

Actually not; they are both 300 ohm but the HD600 has 112 db of sensitivity, while the HD650 is rated at 103 db. There is a reason that the HD600 comes terminated with a 1/8" plug and a thin cable, while the 650 has a 1/4" plug and a thicker cable. The 650 has a different driver than the 580/600, and definitely benefits from more power.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #37 of 55
^ I stand corrected
tongue_smile.gif

But they are certainly in the same ballpark.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #38 of 55

Quote:

Actually not; they are both 600 ohm but the HD600 has 112 db of sensitivity, while the HD650 is rated at 103 db. There is a reason that the HD600 comes terminated with a 1/8" plug and a thin cable, while the 650 has a 1/4" plug and a thicker cable. The 650 has a different driver than the 580/600, and definitely benefits from more power.

I'm sure he meant 300 ohm. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #39 of 55
For desktop amp, I only come across these Crossroad Edge Desktop Amp and Maverick D1 while for portable amp, I know of RSA and Graham Slee to drive HD600/650..I think the forumers here should have better option for amp..Hope to see more suggestion..
Best if those amps suggested are less than $350 or 400

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #40 of 55
Oct 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #42 of 55

Quote:
From what I've read:

HD650: More impact in the low end. Slightly warmer midrange and less soundtage.
HD600: Wider soundstage, slightly more treble emphasis with less bass. 

I have owned both, and this is my finding as well.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #44 of 55
I'll throw in my relatively worthless two cents here...

I've got the HD 600, used with a uDAC.  I've never heard the HD 650 - although I might try to give a listen now that I'm living in a city that has a real audio dealer.

The uDAC is said to be a little warm sounding, and the HD 600s paired with it seem very neutral if just ever so slightly warm.  Together they're the least fatiguing audio setup I've ever listened to.

They could stand a little more power occasionally, but I have little to complain about other than when listening to Angel on Mezzanine by Massive Attack.  There's plenty of bass, and that song is pretty much the only time I've had it begging for more power - at least I think that's what it wants - I don't have any significantly more powerful amps to test with (just a Marantz integrated and Carver pre with pretty good headphone outs).

The same song through my stereo (Infinity Renaissance 90 w/ dual voice coil extruded graphite cone woofers powered by an Adcom GFA-555 dedicated solely to just them (biamped)) - is nearly impeccable in comparison.  Actually, at the time I said that the HD 600s sounded like raccoon poo in comparison.  Well, hey, it's not really fair to compare any headphones to one of the more (most?) controlled speakers ever made when it comes to loud yet extremely tight bass...

So anyway, the HD 600s have great, tight bass in ample (sufficient) quantities.  If you want more, go for the HD 650s then I guess - but like someone said earlier, they are harder to drive.  That's why I went with the HD 600s - and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #45 of 55
Hi,

tested the HD650 wonderful mids but the sound is to warm with to much base (at least on the long run you need a EQ or a bright preamp), the HD600 is the one with the ugly paint job, but sounds better (in the sense of hifi).

On my head, the Senns was not comfortable, to much pressure ... check this out.

Ended up with the Beyerdynamic 880, it got the soundlevel of the HD600 and is perfect to wear (BTW: the Beyer 770 and 990 was not better than the HD650)
I choosed the pro type and modded it a bit, the edition is nearly perfect out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back