HD600, Hans der Baer, repairs
Jun 26, 2002 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zzz

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so now I know my HD600 have a problem: right transducer developed some problem inside and if driven well (not necessarily loud, just well. deep bass with sugden, etc.), things start hitting each other producing very annoying noise.

I got the phones from ebay store of the aforementioned Hans der Baer (http://www.stores.ebay.com/thegatewa...pt1/index.html) last September. The purchase card (or whatever you call it, the one that the dealer is supposed to fill out with the information on where and when the phones were bought and stuff) was and still is blank, and even if I had some sort of a receipt, it is now lost forever... The only thing I still have that is related to the actual transaction is the paypal record saying that on 09/18/01 I paid 235 USD to some Majert GmbH.

So just to confirm: am I totally screwed? Does anyone have experience sending headphones you bought from this ebay store (I know quite a few people from here got their HD600 there anyway) for repair to Sennheiser? Did you have to pay for the repair? If so, how much did the whole thing cost you?

Jun 26, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 10
Ugly! The first you should try is to contact the seller. Seems like the driver is defect and the problem now is if there was some inherent fault in the product or if the driver was broken by misuse, consciuos or not. Because you have had them for so long time the later seems more probable.
I broke a pair of speakers in an AC accident. I was not obviously careless but it was caused by external conditions and not covered by the guarantee.

Apr 10, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 10
i have the same problem... got hd600's from that guy, and now 1.5 years later one of the speakers sounds like crap. i'm trying to contact him... but anybody know if it is possible to pay sennheiser to do repairs not under warranty?

Apr 10, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 10
Sennheiser will repair items not under warranty but there is a charge of US$35 to evaluate them. If you go ahead with repairs, and spare parts I understand can be pricey, then they will "include" that cost in the repairs. I assume that means they will discount the repairs by that amount.

Look here:

Sennheiser USA repairs

Your address is not shown and I am therefore just assuming you are based in the US. Other pricing and policies will differ obviously from country to country.

Peter

Apr 10, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 10
Part of the problem is the cost of drivers (transducers)... if I remember correctly, you can practically get a brand new pair of HD600s for the cost of a single driver, at least the price they charge for ordering them online.

You might be better off trying to find a used, perhaps broken pair of HD600s that you can scavenge a driver from, or perhaps even a pair of HD580s. Changing the driver out yourself wouldn't be trivial, but probably not a huge deal either.

Apr 10, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Part of the problem is the cost of drivers (transducers)... if I remember correctly, you can practically get a brand new pair of HD600s for the cost of a single driver, at least the price they charge for ordering them online.

Just a follow-up to what you have mentioned here is a link to the Sennheiser pricelist. I do not know if this is up-to-date (the link talks about Retail 2002) but here it is anyhow:

Sennheiser parts pricing

It would appear, at least from this site that to replace one driver the cost is $90.

Peter

Edit: If you have thoroughly diagnosed your problem and know that it is definitely the one transducer replacing it will be extremely easy. Not more than 5 minutes work.

Have a look at this link (dealing with repairing the coils when intermittent sound is experienced):

Instructions for removing driver

Apr 10, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Peterg2
Just a follow-up to what you have mentioned here is a link to the Sennheiser pricelist. I do not know if this is up-to-date (the link talks about Retail 2002) but here it is anyhow:

Sennheiser parts pricing

It would appear, at least from this site that to replace one driver the cost is $90.

Peter

My mistake, it looks like the price has dropped since the last time I checked (late last year?). I'm positive it was well over $100 at that time, perhaps as high as $175. I guess the introduction of the HD650 brought prices down.
Quote:

Originally posted by Peterg2
Edit: If you have thoroughly diagnosed your problem and know that it is definitely the one transducer replacing it will be extremely easy. Not more than 5 minutes work.

My mistake there as well... I apologize for the mistaken information.

Apr 10, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 10
Hey there!

I bought my HD600's from the same store! Sennheiser Canada (In Quebec) fixed them free of charge. No problem at all. Simply e-mail the eBay store, and have him e-mail a "receipt". You'll have no problem.

Trevor

Apr 10, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 10
I realise now that I was replying to Pr0crastin9tor and you to zzz (the originator). However, on looking back at zzz's post I see he purchased it 2.5 years ago and the warranty is 2 years. I do know that for the intermittent connectivity issue Sennheiser were replacing lower earcup pieces due to a design issue but this is different apparently. If Sennheiser will still do this free out of warranty then this is excellent.

Peter

Apr 11, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 10
i also bought a pair of hd600s for my friend recently... my warranty is 1 month expired (doh!) but his is still valid, so with his permission i'm just going to go ahead and use his warranty... i have all his receipts and stuff since i technically paid for it, and my name is on all the forms... so this story might have a happy ending after all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back