HD600 for rock/electronica with bright amp
Sep 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
Would the HD600s be a good choice for electronica and rock music while being used with a "bright" amp? If not, what other headphones would work well for these genres and a bright amp? Thanks.
k701smile.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 42
I've used the HD580 for listening to electronica and rock, but it wasn't amped all that well. And I've enjoyed less expensive headphones that were not as well amped, more than the HD580 with electronica and rock.

What source and bright amp will you be using?

Do you want to hear prominent bass from this rig?

And which do you prefer listening to, electronica or rock?

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 42
I don't think the HD600's are particularly good for either of those genres, especially electronica. A bit of clarification of electronica would be nice because the HD600's would be fine for, say, chillout, but not so fine for faster subgenres, say DnB, trance.
Some better options for electronic at least would be the D2000 or DT880 depending on your taste for bass.

edit: also I'm not sure how they would work with your rig since you say it's birght

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What source and bright amp will you be using?

Do you want to hear prominent bass from this rig?

And which do you prefer listening to, electronica or rock?

Source: Vivid Tech V1

Bass: Yes a good amount, but doesn't need to be excessive

Electronica or Rock: Pretty equal, though recently a bit more electronica (trance)

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget for buying these headphones?

Will you be buying new, or are you open to buying used or refurbished?

Are you OK with modding headphones, or do you prefer using them as stock?

FWIR, your source/amp will be better driving low impedance headphones.

~$200 (though cheaper would be nicer), not modded, used is ok.

I have read that this amp can drive high impedance headphones surprisingly well.

Also I find it really difficult to research headphones on this forum, or for that matter anywhere. For every good thing you hear about a particular headphone or amp, there is as many people with the exact opposite view. I would say well just chose the path that most people agree on, but even that is hard as I seem to hear about the same from both. Not to mention I have looked and there is simply nowhere I can actually go demo these products around me.
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 42
I am a bit skeptical of it's ability to drive an HD600..

5V's? err.... >_>

Anyway, I'd recommend the DT880 for electronica.. but... you want a nice warm amp with the DT880..
a bright amp with the DT880 sounds like a bad plan.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit skeptical of it's ability to drive an HD600..

5V's? err.... >_>

Anyway, I'd recommend the DT880 for electronica.. but... you want a nice warm amp with the DT880..
a bright amp with the DT880 sounds like a bad plan.

Well, I dont have that.

What about the Grado MS-1 with a bright amp?

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 42
.... Please don't ever use the HD650's/600/580's for trance.. you will want to shoot yourself for the slow response and bass.

Stick with Grados, and from my experience with the ATH W5000's, anything in the ATH line up since they seem to be very technical and very fast. My true favorite headphones for trance are the MDR SA5000's but that's unfortunately out of you're price range.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 42
Here is the thread that I read on your V1. The HD600 or a bright sounding Beyerdynamic would not be the way to go with the V1 and for rock and electronica.

FWIR, I suggest considering the DT150. Search "DT150".

I can confirm that opinions often can be or seem to fly 180 degrees in opposition to each other. But in time and with a lot of reading and experience, it is possible to transition from confusion to an informed opinion. People often post here because they can't go listen to many different headphones. Fortunately, discussion and debate is encouraged on Head-Fi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~$200 (though cheaper would be nicer), not modded, used is ok.

I have read that this amp can drive high impedance headphones surprisingly well.

Also I find it really difficult to research headphones on this forum, or for that matter anywhere. For every good thing you hear about a particular headphone or amp, there is as many people with the exact opposite view. I would say well just chose the path that most people agree on, but even that is hard as I seem to hear about the same from both. Not to mention I have looked and there is simply nowhere I can actually go demo these products around me.
frown.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... Please don't ever use the HD650's/600/580's for trance.. you will want to shoot yourself for the slow response and bass.

Stick with Grados, and from my experience with the ATH W5000's, anything in the ATH line up since they seem to be very technical and very fast. My true favorite headphones for trance are the MDR SA5000's but that's unfortunately out of you're price range.

Agree on the SA5000, maybe the W5000 (and also AD2000 from AT). Also, now that I see the op listens to trance definitely no on any senns (well, except the 6x out of budget HD800's
tongue.gif
)

SA5k is a bit out of budget, DT880 is within it. Those would be my two recommendations, assuming you're not a basshead.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Would the HD600s be a good choice for electronica and rock music while being used with a "bright" amp? If not, what other headphones would work well for these genres and a bright amp? Thanks.
k701smile.gif

Sony XB500 would work well with a bright amp, best I've heard for lower end detail and deep layered head stage. Ultrasones may also be favorable on the bright amp, very treble forward, lots of energy like the Sony SAs but with better bass extension.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 42
I wouldn't want an Ultrasone with a bright source/amp. FWIR, the Sony XB500 seems like it'd be a good choice though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony XB500 would work well with a bright amp, best I've heard for lower end detail and deep layered head stage. Ultrasones may also be favorable on the bright amp, very treble forward, lots of energy like the Sony SAs but with better bass extension.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #14 of 42
Ok enough research for now, I have spend WAY to many hours researching headphones.

Also, notice the contradiction just in the past two posts: Ultrasones being good and bad with bright amps.

Debating is good but all it just shows how subjective this all is.. time to go buy a some headphones and learn for myself.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 42
Right, and I just posted to this effect in post #10.

This bright source / amp + Ultrasone thing is a matter of preference and synergy. No one is going to know for sure what they like, dislike, or prefer until they try it. It's not at all likely that anyone posting so far has a V1 to try with their headphones (synergy). And even if they did and posted their findings, you then could try the same headphones with your V1 and like it or not (preference).

You take your chances. Based on my experience with an Ultrasone and FWIR about the V1, I estimate the combo to be an accident likely to happen. Some may enjoy it, but I estimate most would not.

Quote:

Also, notice the contradiction just in the past two posts: Ultrasones being good and bad with bright amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back