HD600/DT990 Paired?
Feb 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ssavage

500+ Head-Fier
How does the HD600 & DT990/600 compare?
I have the HD600 and I'm interested in the DT990 since the HD600 is a little dark/basslight.
The only thing that scares me about the DT990 is the treble. I don't like overbearing treble.
Also, if I were to get the DT990, what amp goes well with both?
I was thinking about the E7/E9 combo.

So what I'm basically asking is is the DT990/HD600 pair a good pair? Also, amps to go with both?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 11
I had both, and I don't think the treble is overbearing with the DT 990s, as opposed to the HD600s.  I think I'd describe the DT 990s' treble as being a bit rougher (but still not unpleasant), as opposed to the HD600s' smoother, creamier treble.  I think they'd provide an excellent complement.  The DT 990s have nice bass.  And I have the E9, and found it was able to power the Beyers quite well.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 11
I have both and imho the DT990s bass is lighter as the hd600s, I prefer the Senns in general (not only for bass) except for some specific albums. The DTs are more comfortable tho. Just my opinion of course

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd recommend a decent tube amp for the Beyers (600ohm), it will calm there highs and give them some oomph. I listen to a lot electronica on my DT880s and they're very close to perfect.

Marximus - What amp did you compare the E9 too to conclude it powers them well?

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
really? I can barely feel the presence of the HD600s bass

I'm beginning to think I have some really weird versions of the HD600 and the Senns, but yes, I do think so. Must be my weird hearing
I'm taking them to a meet at the end of this month, curious what others will think of it

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I'm beginning to think I have some really weird versions of the HD600 and the Senns, but yes, I do think so. Must be my weird hearing
I'm taking them to a meet at the end of this month, curious what others will think of it

Do you have the lastest version with the white driver grills? From reading the forums I get the feeling the older HD600's have more bass than the newer ones. I got the new version and when I compare them to my RS1i, the Grados seem bass heavy. I would say my HD600's have about the same bass quantity as my old MS1i's.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 11
I have an old version of the 600s, maybe that explains it?
Will you be coming to the dutch meet this month Aizura?

EDIT: I changed amps this evening, and this seemes to change the DTs completely. I appears my amp doesn't like the 600ohms that much...

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 11
Graphicism, I was comparing it to a stereo receiver and straight out of a uDAC.  I suppose it could sound better out of better amps, but I couldn't detect much of a difference between the three I tried, and they sounded good to me out of the E9, so that's the standard I had.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Graphicism, I was comparing it to a stereo receiver and straight out of a uDAC.  I suppose it could sound better out of better amps, but I couldn't detect much of a difference between the three I tried, and they sounded good to me out of the E9, so that's the standard I had.

I don't think the uDAC or E9 for that matter is built for high impedance headphones, the uDAC I know is best paired with IEMs so if you're not hearing a difference between the two the E9 is likely the same. When I heard the uDAC in the past I compared it with a Zero amp/DAC and the similar priced Zero sounded a lot better. I no longer have the uDAC around but still have the Zero and even it falls short and sounds congested in comparison to my Tube amp. I see a lot of threads suggesting the E9, E7-E9 combo and it has to come down to just not hearing other, similar priced full size desktop amps. I had a peak at your profile and you have a lot of headphones listed, are you listening to all these on the uDAC/E9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back