HD600 closed low-impendance/mobile "upgrade"?
May 16, 2015 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Yaroslav

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Post title may be a little misleading, but I'll try to explain. 

Love my HD600 for home use (with a simple DAC to play off a MacBook Pro, I have a Audioquest Dragonfly, nothing snappy but gets the job done), but as I'll have to travel more this year, I need something that can be thrown in the bag (and not break in the process), ideally something closed so that I won't annoy people in co-working space, and ideally something that can work even without a simple amp.

I've tried Momentum before, but it was sounding quite weird — colored, I guess, is the right term? Also, the 1st gen Momentums were horrible on my big ears. I also have a IE80 with custom ear plugs which provide amazing isolation, but I really wonder if there is something better.

So, something closed and great, with signature maybe close to HD600, at least something neutral, not "portable" in sense of wearing them on my neck, but at least something that fits in a bag or a backback. The only thing on my mind right now is Sony MDR-7520, but it they do feel like completely different headphones compared to HD600, so I've decided to ask.

May 16, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd say give the Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI a listen. I have never heard a bad word about them and will also audition them soon, and then maybe buy them if they're as good as everyone says.

what's your budget?

May 16, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 11

what's your budget?

Right, let's say under $500-ish. I also listen mostly to electronic-only stuff, think IDM/Ambient/Trance and the likes. Basically, I need something for WARP stuff to sound good. If Aphex Twin or Plaid sound fine, I am happy.

Funny thing, Aphex Twin himself recommends the 7510 (not sure if troll or not, here's the link: http://archive.is/cTNxL), that's why I've started looking at Sony.

May 16, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 11
try looking into these:

HP50 from NAD
H6 from B&O

also listening a lot to Aphex Twin. Great producer.
If you have the chance check out Beardyman, if you don't already know him. his live stuff is amazing!

May 16, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 11
The T70 is very comfortable, solid built and neutralish, although it's on the bright side.

May 16, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 11
What about the Shure SRH-1540? It's a bit more bassy then the HD600, but it shares some sonic traits. You could also look into the Oppo PM-3. That one is more neutral, closed and it's made to be portable.

The T70p had a very unnatural sound to my ears. The huge treble peak was way too obvious. It's not that I dislike treble; I even switched from the T1 to a Stax which has more treble presence, but both the T1 and SRS-4040 sound much better balanced to me than the T70p.

May 16, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 11
  BTW, what about the K550/K551? Not a popular choice here? :)

I used to own the K550 and those are great headphones for their price! Very easy to drive, fairly neutral, large soundstage and lovely bass. My only complaints would be: some lack of bass impact and somewhat uneven treble, but those are minor issues.

Right now I'm waiting for my new K553 to arrive. I've heard they have a bit more bass impact while staying balanced/relatively uncoloured. My pair comes from Massdrop ($119), but now they are available elsewhere for $199.

May 17, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 11
I own K550. Very comfortable cans. Mine sound lean on the verge of being overly bright, they lack body, and come across as dynamically limited and a little congested in the mids. The highs and upper mids are somewhat ragged, but not sibilant. The bass extension is decent, but lacks weight and foundation. I don't recommend K550 to anyone. Personally, I can only stand them with an OTL.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #11 of 11
Right, so I've tried a lot of things and.. ended up getting Momentum 2.0 :wink: They are really good, finally fit by big ears and are definitely a sonic improvement over the first ones. Compared with the NADs, Momentum just sounded more.. lively, I guess.

One might say they even have a somewhat nice soundstage for a lifestyle closed can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back