HD600 and Miles Davis
Feb 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without doubt one of the finest albums ever made in any genre.
Simon

Exactly what I was planning to post.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 36
Which version of Kind of Blue was it. I know the first gen CD's were recorded in the wrong speed.I never knew it until I bought the MultiCH SACD Version of Kind Of Blue. Sure enough I could hear a difference in the speed, and with it being an SACD, it sounds even better through my K701's and the Multich 5.1 sound sublime on my speaker rig.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #19 of 36
I don't like analog recordings. The hiss takes away from the "live" experience
frown.gif

I've got amazing interpretations of the Rach Piano Concertos by Byron Janis, but they have so much hiss, it's not as enjoyable to listen to them. Of course, it's still one of my favorite CDs
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like analog recordings. The hiss takes away from the "live" experience
frown.gif

Gosh, you guys are so picky. Kind of Blue is a fantastic recording with a little tiny bit of hiss. Otherwise, it's beautiful and clean and dynamic. I'll take it over the "clean", digital over-compressed modern junk any day.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #21 of 36
Loving this thread.

A common trait so far is people love this album, and people love this album with the Sennheiser sound signature. I agree on both counts! First enjoyed this album on PX-100's, and now on HD-580's.

My copy is a standard redbook release that was recommended several times over in the music forum. And personally, I like the hiss. I think it adds a bit of character in the recording. Even with the age and hiss considered, I think this recording sounds so much better than the clipping and compression I hear in a lot of modern recordings.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #22 of 36
Teh version I have is Master Sound - Super Bit Mapping

I put in some silver wires in my zapfilter zahoulo w/ amprex tubes -
She sings beautifully on this recording amzing cymbals and bass clarity. But too revealing I hear random dots and specks maybe the recorded version I have is not the greatest.

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another great album Im enjoying is
Charles Mingus Live at Antivibes
have suggestions for similar albums?

Haven't heard that Mingus album, but since we're on a Kind of Blue thread, a couple of albums by alumni of that session that are excellent:

Bill Evans Trio: Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Redefined what a "rhythm" section can do. Evans, Scott LeFaro on bass (he died only a few days after this album was recorded), Paul Motian on drums.

John Coltrane: Blue Train, Giant Steps, A Love Supreme. These are some of his earlier works. I'm not yet familiar with his later stuff.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #25 of 36
And also by Miles is "58 Sessions", a split program of 4 studio cuts and 3 live cuts. It contains "Stella By Starlight", which is just one of the most beautiful performances captured by the classic sextet. If you're diggin' "Kind of Blue" it's practically a must have. A remastered reissue from several years ago is still floating around, I think.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best album ever, but it sounds better on Quads than 600s. I've got it on vinyl, CD and SACD. It was a one take deal, probably Ampex 300 straight to the cutter. I had one of those. Have you guys read his autobiography? He puked everyday at noon, regardless of the previous night's behavior.

There's about 8 books on various parts of Miles' life at Borders. I'm slowly reading them all (the three by Ian Carr, Szwed and his road manager, Chris Murphy, are especially interesting). Yeah, there's a lot of interesting tales.

I don't remember hearing the KoB/hd600's combo. BUT: Jack Johnson, "Right Off" through DT-880's and a good DAC/amp, that combo will rip your head off your neck. You've been warned.

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 36
Not jazz

but.....

I just finished spinning the MoFi cut of Counting Crows - August and Everything After

I could have cried.

I've concluded that ALL of the jazz that I own was specifically recorded for my HD600's.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #29 of 36
exactly how i want to describe my hd600. everything i listen to just sounds so right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back