HD600 and DAC/AMP WTB
Feb 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sjones

Head-Fier
Having recently purchased the HD600 as an upgrade from the HD595, I want to get the most out of the HD600 on a soft budget limit of $400. According to my tastes in music (mostly classical, pop, jazz and instrumental) I find the HD600 clearly superior in all facets over the HD595, so I am happy with this upgrade. I have purchased the Cardas cable upgrade and it is on its way in the mail. At the moment, I am in the planning stage and considering my options for a DAC or possible amp. A combo DAC/AMP is okay too.

My setup is: Macbook Air - > Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD - > NAD C320BEE - > HD600

I found that the headphone amp on the X-Fi HD was not as good as I like, so I listen through the C320 BEE. Listening through the NAD instead of the X-Fi HD helped round out and create a warmer sound. It also tames the shrillness of trebles on certain tracks. So far I am content with the C20 BEE headphone amp.

I have a Little Dot MKIII, however, it is currently not in my possession at the moment since I moved to a different city and didn't bring it with me. I plan to get it back in a couple months, but have been considering getting it mailed to me.

I would like to upgrade the X-Fi to a either a DAC or DAC/AMP combo. My question is, would I benefit from getting a better DAC to work with my current setup, or just wait until I have the Little Dot MKIII? 

I have researched and found positive recommendations for DACs like the JDS Labs ODAC, Schiit Bitfrost, and Yulong D100. I am still stuck on which one would provide the best boost in sound quality for my setup. I am not limiting myself to those ones I listed.

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 7
HRT Music Streamer ($150) + Asgard ($250) = done. Great combo that will make the HD600s sing.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Get a ODAC/O2 and avoid the Asgard at all costs as it can damage headphones. Not sure you will get a substantial improvement though. The Music Steamer II is a good DAC

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion about the HRT Music Streamer. I will look it up.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Absolutely not true. The problem has been fixed. This kind of perpetuated crap annoys me. Bad information is worse than no information. My Asgard has not damaged any of my headphones.

and avoid the Asgard at all costs as it can damage headphones.

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Absolutely not true. The problem has been fixed. This kind of perpetuated crap annoys me. Bad information is worse than no information. My Asgard has not damaged any of my headphones.

Very well, but I would still not buy from such an awful company. BTW the Music Streamer isn't even sold anymore, so that's some pretty bad information. 
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I am actually leaning towards a standalone DAC rather than a headphone amp like the Asgard. I was wondering if the ODAC or Music Streamer II is as good as the Bitfrost or comes close to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back