HD600 and ATH W100 need advice
Sep 26, 2002 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gryphon1972

Head-Fier
I have read the reviews for both, the comparison for both and now its time for me to decide....

I will be using my Sony DJ50 and a CHA47. I listen to mainly vocals and chamber music.

The ATH W100 is brand new and priced at US$225
I have a brief listen with my favourite music and it seems its a very engaging phone. And further more its being driven straight from my DJ50 headphone out.
I seem to have fallen in love for the phones but it is just a 10 minute affair.....not sure if in long term it would be the same.

The HD600 is used and the price I can have it is about US$140 with standard cables.
This seems to be a more laid back phone but again its a short listen. I prefer the slightly more engaging W100 and its driven then by a rolls portable amp. Probably not the best amp.
I know I can live with the HD600 because it sounded so much better than my current HD497 which sounded bright during longer listens. Though I find that the soundstage is still not as wide as I would like but also because the price being much lower is a contributing factor.

I was wondering if both were driven by the CHA47 amp, would there be much changes? Which phone is more suitable for the amp?

I know that a lot has been written about the phones and comparison already done so many times.....but now its decision time. Any opinion and help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. (I can only afford 1 phone now
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Sep 26, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 8
gryphon:u singaporean?
yo! I too live in spore
Personally i prefer the woodern ATHw100, simply because you do not need cable replacement and amp which will only add to the cost. Furthermore, the strings sound really sweet and I think the soundstage is very good too. I have tried it and I think I don't really like the hd600... quite Ok to me.

Howeever you must burn the w100 in for abt at least 200 hrs plus then you start to notice the superior performance(acc. to some head-fiers who own em)

Where do you audition em? hung bros?
ic. you might want to look at beyer dt770pro, I bought one last week and extremely happy with it.

Sep 26, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes, I audition at Hung Brothers
biggrin.gif

How does the the DT770 sound compared to the W100 and whats the cost like.

Frankly, I find the W100 very appealing.....but if only can be had at a cheaper price.

Thanks alot man
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 8
Oh.. did you meantion vocal and chamber? this is not beyer dt770's speciality. It owns in electronic, trance, dance, pop, rock and those where bass is needed. for you type of music, it may not really shine.

If you need good vocal and chamber phone, w100 is quite suitable., although more people will prefer hd600 . The plus is that the w100 saves u from the cost of amp.. which is abt S$200 plus, my creek is abt 340 dollar. problem with the hd600 is that it needs an amp and definately a good one(costing usually more than double of the hd600 itself).I find the w100 to be beautiful and at same time sounds good too! At one time I had the idea of getting em too... but I afraid that my rough handling will make their life miserable(lots of scratches here and there) heheh..

Do you have msn or icq? then we can chat. My msn email is Guyferd99@hotmail.com u might wanna add me in.

Sep 27, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Based on the music you listen to, I'd go with the W100s. I had them for three of four days and it was a love hate relationship.
I would have kept my Grados for rock and the W100s for vocals and jazz. The W100s blossom with those types of music.
I have never listened to senns, but most say if you like the Grado sound(SR325), you will not like the HD600(I love my Grados). That being said, I liked the W100s enough to consider them. They excelled at every type of music I threw at them except rock.
If I could have got them at US$225, Hmmmmm........I say go for the W100s...they are sensitive to the type of music you listen to though. Do a search on the W100s, there is more there...
This was based on using a desk version of the CHA47.
Hope this helps,
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back