HD600 - a few questions
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

There are a lot of threads here on the HD600, but I am on the verge of pulling out my credit card for these:

Sennheiser HD 600 - $449.00 : PC Case Gear, Delivering quality computer parts Australia wide

At $460 here in Oz, that is a good deal. My concern is that the seller would seem to be more an electronics clearing house than anything 'audio' specific. Of all the headphones that they would have as 'surplus stock', the HD600 seems like an odd headphone : Logitech gaming headsets, sure, but audiophile headphones ? My immediate fear is that they are fakes or a retailers stash of 'returned, possibly faulty' old stock - the kind of gear that gets left in a back room until no-one can remember why they were returned.

Thoughts ?

I will see what sort of feedback this etailer has had on local forums, but I am perilously close to buying these cans, even if they may be too 'polite' for my music. Uncle Erik has talked me into giving the Senns a second chance.
wink.gif

Tks,

estreeter

PS I realise that I will need a better amp - any SS recommendations up to about 500 USD welcome.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 18
The main problem I have with the FS forum here is that someone seems to pounce on every good deal that comes along. I guess I just need to monitor it a bit better.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, look through the FS forum. You can pick them up (or the similar HD580, often modded with HD600 grilles and cable) for even half that. At least less than $300.

Thanks. I always seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to currency exchange and things like insurance, but it certainly looks tempting. Hard to believe that some retailers here are still asking over $600 for them.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 18
check audiogon and ebay as well. they seem to come up often enough. and if you can grab a cardas with it, that is a good cable match.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 18
Absolutely keep your eyes peeled for a well cared for used pair of HD600's (or 580's). They come up all the time and just about everything on them can be replaced by parts direct from Sennheiser for reasonable prices. So if you find a pair for a great price but it has worn pads, get em and put some replacements on them and it'll almost be like a new pair.

Good luck.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 18
Making the headphone-for-sale page your homepage helps
tongue.gif
It was mine for a couple of months and resulted in me scoring a pair of used HD600s for a pretty decent price shipped to Aus
biggrin.gif

Another tip: I'm not sure where you're located in Aus but peak time for head-fi seems to be about 6am perth time, which I'm assuming is roughly 6pm in the US - just after work hours. Check the FS forums particularly in the morning, the earlier the better. you'll probably get in before quite a few others do. Good luck man

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making the headphone-for-sale page your homepage helps
tongue.gif
It was mine for a couple of months and resulted in me scoring a pair of used HD600s for a pretty decent price shipped to Aus
biggrin.gif

Another tip: I'm not sure where you're located in Aus but peak time for head-fi seems to be about 6am perth time, which I'm assuming is roughly 6pm in the US - just after work hours. Check the FS forums particularly in the morning, the earlier the better. you'll probably get in before quite a few others do. Good luck man

Thanks everyone.

chews, 6am in Perth coincides nicely with 8-9am here on the East Coast (depending on the time of year - cant recall if you have DS), and thats when my boss expects me to have my eyes on the code he is paying me to write
smily_headphones1.gif

I can check it at lunchtime, but I guess there is a part of me that wants to avoid too much temptation. The fact that I was so quick to reach for my wallet this afternoon, after telling myself I already have too many phones, is cause for concern. Headphone addiction is a serious problem, people !
atsmile.gif

(fwiw, the total price of buying a used pair would need to be under $350 USD delivered to make it a better deal than the link I posted, IMO)

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 18
For a new pair in Australia that is a decent price. I haven't bought anything from that place but a friend of mine has had a decent experience with them. If you do want brand new headphones they'd be a good deal but I agree with others, you'd be much better getting a second hand pair from the For Sale section of these forums. Much cheaper and they'll already be burned in. Often they'll come with a better cable which is an added bonus.

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I realise that I will need a better amp - any SS recommendations up to about 500 USD welcome.

Well it doesn't get as much love around here as it used to, but I'm telling you the Hybrid SS/tube EF1 amp from Head-Direct, certainly less the US $500, is fantastic with the HD600, the HP it was voiced for.

With an RCA cleartop 12AU7 the sound is lovely. MD1032 (John) and I did a lot of EF1 listening and tube rolling at the recent NJ meet, and we continue to be impressed with this baby. We both own it -- it forms the basis of my "upstairs" rig that uses the HD600.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/po...ml#post5899999

[Disclosure: it has nothing to do with audio, and has no bearing on my opinions, but I do have a business relationship with a person whose family is associated with Head-Direct. I have absolutely no relation with Head-Direct itself]

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks - bit confused by the EF1/EF2 split - we can get the latter very cheaply here in Oz (compared to anything else with tubes), but apparently the EF1 is the better amp ? Apologies if I'm sending this thread on a tangent, but I dont know anything about tube amps.

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks - bit confused by the EF1/EF2 split - we can get the latter very cheaply here in Oz (compared to anything else with tubes), but apparently the EF1 is the better amp ? Apologies if I'm sending this thread on a tangent, but I dont know anything about tube amps.

It's your thread to answer your questions, take it where you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 18
Indeed my understanding is that the EF1 is the better amp. I didn't listen to the EF2 at the NJ meet, but MD1032 did, and I do believe he far preferred the EF1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back