HD598's - Are they good for Heavy Metal/Rock/Deathcore/Dubstep?
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #47 of 84
Good question, I'll give it a good listen tonight. Obviously for starters the soundstage is larger. The AD2000 don't have terrible soundstage, in fact it's quite good, just not as wide as the 598. I'll post back later on once I've done a comparison.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #48 of 84

Quote:
Settle down dude! We may or may not be his teachers, well you clearly aren''t and you're just hear to give your advice and look meanly at anybody who raises so much as an eyebrow at what your Holy Mouth has to Gospel say. 

You aren't gonna teach him or spoon feed him, fine, but that doesn't mean the rest of us are banned from doing so as well. The rest of us can teach him or spoon feed him as much as we so desire, so you can get off his, and our, backs. But please, feel free to snap at the new blood and make yourself look like a rampaging grizzly schmuck to everyone else.

Let's just chill, this is a community and though there will be dissenting opinions, we leave it to the TC to figure out which opinions are the most valuable to him, without all the nasty attitude.

<3<3<3!!! :) Mochan your awsome.

Matthew i must admit, Kevin Malone is the man!!! I personally love the office more than any other show on earth :) But you really should of put a pic of Michael Scott as he doesnt give a sh1t what anybody else says, and his opinion is always correct according to him.

He also makes a fool out of anybody else that says different, or spaz's out :)

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #49 of 84
You really have to learn how to use the quote function
wink.gif
After you've quoted be sure to click outside the quote box to type.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #53 of 84
Hilex:  No problem for breaking it down.  I didn't really understand sources until I got my first DAC, which--practically speaking--is just a fancy word for an external sound card.  There are an awful lot of golden ears around here who either use overly technical or overly flowery words for the way stuff sounds...for the music we listen to you really don't need to worry overmuch about sources and whatnot unless there is something in the sound that displeases you (like my KSE example).

I'm sure Matt is right about the PRO900s sounding better with an amp, but straight out of my buddy's Macbook Pro they sounded much better than my PRO650s (also out of his macbook).  He's already gone home, though, so I can't really comment on how they sound amped--yet.  Mine should be here by Monday. 

I've spent an embarrassing amount of time reading up on stupid crap that I've read on here, and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on it now.  If you're curious about anything and how it affects or is related to electronic music or metal, let me know.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #54 of 84

Quote:
Matthew just out of curiosity what genres of music do you listen to?

A bit of everything, but mainly post-rock/ambient/folk/acoustic/rock/indie.

Also Benzo, these "overly technical" terms are just the best way for us that understand them to describe our experiences/thoughts with others that more vague words just cannot describe well enough. You'll pick up on them eventually and be using them just like the rest of us. It helps that I was doing an audio-engineering degree as I got into this hobby, but if you see anything you don't understand, just google it quickly. That's what I did when I first started here and you'd be surprised how quickly you pick it up.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #55 of 84
I agree with you there.  In almost every hobby (and most careers), there are flowery words and technical terms to describe almost everything.  Fortunately, my Google-Fu is strong, and thanks to that and some very knowledgeable people on this forum, I've learned a helluva lot since I've been here.  I spent 8 years in the military training very un-technical people very technical concepts, which taught me how to break down difficult concepts into their constituent parts and communicate those parts effectively to people who are most likely completely inexperienced with whatever it is I'm trying to help them out with. 

I try to apply this skillset to most things I participate in, from cars to ballistic weaponry to software development to headphones.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 84

Quote:
Hilex:  No problem for breaking it down.  I didn't really understand sources until I got my first DAC, which--practically speaking--is just a fancy word for an external sound card.  There are an awful lot of golden ears around here who either use overly technical or overly flowery words for the way stuff sounds...for the music we listen to you really don't need to worry overmuch about sources and whatnot unless there is something in the sound that displeases you (like my KSE example).

I'm sure Matt is right about the PRO900s sounding better with an amp, but straight out of my buddy's Macbook Pro they sounded much better than my PRO650s (also out of his macbook).  He's already gone home, though, so I can't really comment on how they sound amped--yet.  Mine should be here by Monday. 
I've spent an embarrassing amount of time reading up on stupid crap that I've read on here, and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on it now.  If you're curious about anything and how it affects or is related to electronic music or metal, let me know.

KSE is a great example, i listen to alot of Deathcore with breakdowns/double kicks - Trivium, As blood runs black, Sea of treachery, Devil wears prada, Parkway drive, Whitechapel etc also rock, Metallica, Breaking Benjamin, Tool/APC - Dirty dubstep Skrillex, Downlink, Excision etc

Would love to know how intense they will be for this type of music unamped - Out of my PC, onboard sound but i have a very nice PC (probably doesnt make a difference) and if i was looking to buy an Amp for this kind of music what would you guys recommend for my Sone 900s?

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #57 of 84
Edit:  Sorry, this is much longer than I had originally intended it to be.

Quote:
KSE is a great example, i listen to alot of Deathcore with breakdowns/double kicks - Trivium, As blood runs black, Sea of treachery, Devil wears prada, Parkway drive, Whitechapel etc also rock, Metallica, Breaking Benjamin, Tool/APC - Dirty dubstep Skrillex, Downlink, Excision etc

Would love to know how intense they will be for this type of music unamped - Out of my PC, onboard sound but i have a very nice PC (probably doesnt make a difference) and if i was looking to buy an Amp for this kind of music what would you guys recommend for my Sone 900s?

Right on.  I love some Trivium...they've actually gotta go on my Amazon wish list!  Personally, I lean more towards very melodic metal, like KSE, Shadows Fall, and In Flames. I lost all my music recently, so I'm rediscovering a lot of bands. It's tough as hell to find good rock music from any genre...it seems like everyone has gone emo.  It pisses me off, and I find myself sticking to the older stuff that I'm familiar with.  I just discovered Devil Wears Prada and We Came as Romans today, though...those guys are pretty **** good!  I'm gonna look up some of the bands you listed tomorrow, I think.

Skrillex is one of my favorite dubstep artists. I really didn't get him at all until I saw his "Rock n Roll (Will Take You to the Mountain)" video a couple of weeks ago.  He's so mother f'ing energetic and nerdy as hell, and his music communicates that.  Now I actually prefer his stuff over some of the filthier, darker DJs--I like the energy and the fact that he doesn't abuse the wub. If you like wubbier stuff, too, check out Umbrella Man...their debut album is a free, torrent-only release that's pretty good.  You might like Flinch, too...they're more energetic like Skrillex, but a little bit darker, and even have a touch of metal to'em (video Word on Fire below).

You'll be happy to know that Ultrasones handle those two genres incredibly well.  For darker dubstep, the XB700s are a little bit better than the 650s because the bass is more in-your-face, but the ZO makes up for that.  The 700s can't even come close to doing everything else the 'sones do.

Seriously, if you have a good PC you'll probably be happy with onboard sound (though I may get blasted for saying that).  I'm happy enough with the sound straight from my laptop; though there are some subtle differences between it and the E7, I don't think they're enough to warrant spending the $100 on the E7.

For the amp, all I have experience with myself are the Hifiman EF2 (which I liked enough to order), the E7 (but only as a DAC/Amp combo), and the ZO.  For the money, I recommend the ZO that I mentioned earlier.  With bass boost cranked and the volume up, you will **** yourself at Bar9's drops...and it is very good as an amplifier on its own without using the EQ.  You can pick one up used pretty inexpensively.  I've also read repeatedly that the Fiio E9 is a very good product that fits into your price range, as is Gary's PA2v2 if you want something more portable.  You can find a ton of reviews on here for both the E9 and the PA2v2, and there are a couple of good reviews of the ZO.

I'm sure some of the other guys will have a TON more options for you where amps are concerned, but remember that generally speaking, the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and power per channel are really the two most important aspects when considering an amp, especially in this price range.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #58 of 84
The cheap Fiio amps will be enough to power the PRO 900s. I used to listen to the stuff you mention (Deathcore/Hardcore/Metalcore) for years, but got over it all a few years ago (except Misery Signals, still love those guys), and I did test it all on my PRO 900s when I had them. A band I played with once actually supported Whitechapel lol.

The PRO 900s do decently with them when amped. The bass can sometimes be a little much for metal IMO, but it still does a good job (I'm more of a mids person, guitars, piano). As for dubstep, well, the PRO 900s have plenty of bass and highs, so you'll be set for any electronic music.

Just get a PRO 900 and one of the cheap Fiio amps, you'll love it I'm sure. Look at getting the cheap uDac 2 as well when you can afford it. They are a tiny little dac that will improve your sound tremendously from your on-board. You can get them for less than $100. Trust me, there's a huge difference in sound to an external DAC. If you can't hear a difference your ears are shoddy lol.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #59 of 84

Quote:
Right on.  I love some Trivium...they've actually gotta go on my Amazon wish list!  Personally, I lean more towards very melodic metal, like KSE, Shadows Fall, and In Flames. I lost all my music recently, so I'm rediscovering a lot of bands. It's tough as hell to find good rock music from any genre...it seems like everyone has gone emo.  It pisses me off, and I find myself sticking to the older stuff that I'm familiar with.  I just discovered Devil Wears Prada and We Came as Romans today, though...those guys are pretty **** good!  I'm gonna look up some of the bands you listed tomorrow, I think.

Skrillex is one of my favorite dubstep artists. I really didn't get him at all until I saw his "Rock n Roll (Will Take You to the Mountain)" video a couple of weeks ago.  He's so mother f'ing energetic and nerdy as hell, and his music communicates that.  Now I actually prefer his stuff over some of the filthier, darker DJs--I like the energy and the fact that he doesn't abuse the wub. If you like wubbier stuff, too, check out Umbrella Man...their debut album is a free, torrent-only release that's pretty good.  You might like Flinch, too...they're more energetic like Skrillex, but a little bit darker, and even have a touch of metal to'em (video Word on Fire below).

You'll be happy to know that Ultrasones handle those two genres incredibly well.  For darker dubstep, the XB700s are a little bit better than the 650s because the bass is more in-your-face, but the ZO makes up for that.  The 700s can't even come close to doing everything else the 'sones do.

Seriously, if you have a good PC you'll probably be happy with onboard sound (though I may get blasted for saying that).  I'm happy enough with the sound straight from my laptop; though there are some subtle differences between it and the E7, I don't think they're enough to warrant spending the $100 on the E7.

For the amp, all I have experience with myself are the Hifiman EF2 (which I liked enough to order), the E7 (but only as a DAC/Amp combo), and the ZO.  For the money, I recommend the ZO that I mentioned earlier.  With bass boost cranked and the volume up, you will **** yourself at Bar9's drops...and it is very good as an amplifier on its own without using the EQ.  You can pick one up used pretty inexpensively.  I've also read repeatedly that the Fiio E9 is a very good product that fits into your price range, as is Gary's PA2v2 if you want something more portable.  You can find a ton of reviews on here for both the E9 and the PA2v2, and there are a couple of good reviews of the ZO.

I'm sure some of the other guys will have a TON more options for you where amps are concerned, but remember that generally speaking, the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and power per channel are really the two most important aspects when considering an amp, especially in this price range.

MAN OH MAN! How the hell could i forget, Melodic is 1 of my favorite genres!!! Ive been bumming Sound of the playgrounds fading for the past month lol, I love it - But older In Flames is still the bomb! Come Clarity, Colony, Clayman, Reroute to Remain, even Sense of purpose is bloody good! When it comes to vocals, swedish/scandinavians = BEST ever, Fall of the Leafe, Scar Symmetry, Solution 45,  - u heard KSEs new band Times of Grace? Hymm of a broken man is godlike! Dark Tranquility, OPETH!!! Man oh man my mind always goes blank when im music posting :) Insomnium - I even like some female vocalists such as Nightwish.

Im all about the wubbness, wobwobwob - Its what im all about when it comes to dubstep, i LOVE aggression in my music as you can tell - But also vocals are a huge factor in music also, Fiio E9 is a bit out of my pricerange :frowning2: Problem being where i live, I live in New Zealand, so shipping off amazon is INSANE! - Fiio E11 is $63USD which is like $75NZD Fiio E9 is $125USD which is roughly $150NZD so its double the price of the E11 - Portability is NO factor at all for me as i do all my music listening at home - I dont care how big and bulky the amp is, its all about quality of genres i listen to for the cheapest price under $100

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #60 of 84

Quote:
I have no idea why so many metal fans also enjoy electronic, but basically there's no headphone that caters to both. You're going to have to sacrifice.

ehh, how's that? In my experience if a pair of cans excels in Metal, it won't have any problem with the electronics. Since it already reach a degree on the harmony of bass and mids, the electronics just a bit more on the sub bass. 
To OP I don't think any of the cans you mentioned would get the job done. The K701 and HD598 I know for certain they are lite on bass so probably not gonna suite neither the metal or trance. 
unless you wanna your bass guitar has no weight or no punch in ur dupstep. HD598 may be better but K701 won't cut the deal. for $250 HD25 from sennheiser might be ur thing, it punches like iron hammer. The shure 840 on the other hand is a more neutral one and shure 940 bearing a brighter sound might help the trance. Oh, you can check out the beyer 880s or 990s, although I don't think there is any open cans in ur price range could have the bass that you wanna. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back