HD598's - Are they good for Heavy Metal/Rock/Deathcore/Dubstep?
Jul 10, 2011 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

xHiLex

Head-Fier
Looking at purchasing either AKG K701, K242s or HD598 - Deciding what would be the best for the type of music i listen to.

Or if anybody could give me other suggestions in my price range of $150-$250 am looking at buying used off this forum also, environment doesnt matter at all as ill be listening to music on my PC at home 100% of the time with the new cans i buy.

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 84
Hmm, for those genres I think Ultrasone's line might offer better options for you as they have a deeper stronger bass as well as a more aggressive sound signature, from what I've read.  The HFi-580 are directly in your price.

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 84
Check out my profile for the range of music I like. Of the limited number of headphones I have experience with, the Pioneer HDJ-1000 is the only one which does everything really well.

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 84
Look into the cheaper Ultrasones, such as PRO 550 and HFI 580. I liked them for metal and electronic.

The HD598 doesn't have that much bass impact but you can still enjoy it if you're not too picky. They are certainly not as bright sounding as the K701s in upper mids and treble, but the bass impact is similar.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 84
The hd598s in my opinion are not good for metal.  I love them for rock just not metal.  The tiny amount of dubstep I listen to though, sounds AWESOME.  I dont listen to it very often so as I type this I am listening to some skrillex and it is confirmed...pretty epic.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 84

Quote:
I have no idea why so many metal fans also enjoy electronic, but basically there's no headphone that caters to both. You're going to have to sacrifice.

I love metal. 90% of my music is metal. BUT I can't stand 90% of electronic music. Dubstep especially tends to give me headaches.

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 84
HD25s work wonders for me for rock and electronic. Even hip hop (though electronic would have more bass honestly). There's not really much bass impact, but **** you can hear it. Seeing how much different it will be when my E11 comes.

For electronica type genres, I listen to euro/happy hardcore, trance, and techno. And if you don't know what euro/happy hardcore is, they're basically like hardcore techno, being at pretty much 170+ BPM, for all the songs I listen to. With a lot of bass.

Personally don't know about 598s, but was going to get the 595s awhile back for gaming + music but then was like eh.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 84
Ive never tryed the HD25's but i now have the HD598's and they deffinatly not a rock/bass headphone im selling them and going to purchase Ultrasone Pro 900s

Why did you get the hd598 , despites all the comments, telling that they do not fit your musical tastes? I guess you are one more personn lured by the raving reviews. I think they are hyped.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #14 of 84
I think it depends more on the specific recording than the genre itself. Most metal and rock sounds great with my HD598. Some stuff just doesn't sound as good as it should, though. For example, Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" sounds a bit thin. Almost all of Opeth's other albums sound fine. I think the HD598 just doesn't have enough bass to flesh out that particular album as well as I'd like. However, it still sounds quite good...don't get me wrong.

As for dubstep and other techno, the HD598 isn't known for bass. You'll hear it, but it might not have the punch and depth you're looking for. The HD598 excels at having a smooth, balanced sound with a great midrange and large soundstage. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #15 of 84
The bass on the 598 was definetely lacking until I hoked it up to a good amp.  My littledot mk3 brings the bass up to a good level to where it is not overpowering but it is still there and alive.  I however am not a huge bass head so you might still be looking for more out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back