1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HD598 vs. Q701 vs. DT880 -- classical and jazz

1. JHW
    This forum is a great resource. Thanks in advance for all advice.

I am looking to upgrade my headphones. I currently have a Grado SR60 set, and find that I like the "spaciousness" of the open-back sound. However, I find them fairly uncomfortable.

Within my budget range on the local second-hand market, I am looking at the Sennheiser HD598, AKG Q701, or possibly the Beyerdynamic DT880.

Given that (a) I listen primarily to classical and jazz, (b) I would like to avoid using a separate headphone amp, and (c) I need the headphones to be very comfortable, is there anything to specifically recommend one of these sets of headphones vs. another? Are there other models that I should be looking at as well?

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
  3. JHW
    ^ Thanks very much for that info. How would you rate them on comfort for long-term listening?

4. serman005
    Of those you list, the HD598 is really the only one that meets all your criteria. Very comfy. As mentioned by @PurpleAngel, the other two really need an amp.

5. PointyFox
    Sennheiser HD598 sounds muffled. The Q701 is uncomfortable due to the bumps on the headband.
    Get either a K7XX or a HD58X. If you get enough volume with them, which you probably will, you won't need an amp.