hd598 vs hd650
May 22, 2012 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oopeteroo

500+ Head-Fier
is it a big different in hd650 compare to hd598 ?
its a big upgrade ?

i wont a hd598 and can get hd650 quite cheap.
how is the sound of it ?
i like to listening to jpop, kopop, cpop, ballad, vocal

and is the hd650 easy to drive ? i have the fiio e10 right now

May 22, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

They are opposites. The HD650 has dim treble, good mids, warmer mid-bass, and more sub-bass. The HD598 has a brighter more forward treble, similar mids, still bright, and much less mid-bass and less sub-bass ability.

The HD650 is not super easy to drive, it needs a competent amplifier. The E10 can handle it, but not to full dynamic range (at least according to some).

As to which is better, neither. They are merely preferences. For your needs, it depends on what you prefer. Bass and dim treble presentation, or a forward treble/mids presentation.

I would suggest some alternatives: Hifiman HE-300 (revision 2), Hifiman HE-400, AudioTechnica AD900, AudioTechnica A900X, AKG Q701, AKG K550, Beyer DT880, Beyer DT770, Denon D2000.

Very best,

May 22, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 13
iam a totaly noob when it comes to sound and it terms :p

want the Hifiman HE-400 but people say it isnt that comfortable, so i guess hd650 is more comfortable.

if i listening mainly to pop, ballad, female voice. is hd650 better than hf598

or if you could explain
''They are opposites. The HD650 has dim treble, good mids, warmer mid-bass, and more sub-bass. The HD598 has a brighter more forward treble, similar mids, still bright, and much less mid-bass and less sub-bass ability.''

dont even know what treble, mids, warmer, brighter means :p mids i the vocal part right ?:p

sorry iam a noob :p

May 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Fiio E10 will not drive the HD650, so I think you are short-changing yourself if you don't commit to a proper powerful amplifier. In other words, it will sound crap without being powered properly. The amp adds to the costs so you need to take that into consideration.

HD598 on the other hand does not require any serious amping at all, and the E10 should be good enough to treat it right.

May 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

want the Hifiman HE-400 but people say it isnt that comfortable, so i guess hd650 is more comfortable.

or if you could explain
''They are opposites. The HD650 has dim treble, good mids, warmer mid-bass, and more sub-bass. The HD598 has a brighter more forward treble, similar mids, still bright, and much less mid-bass and less sub-bass ability.''

dont even know what treble, mids, warmer, brighter means :p mids i the vocal part right ?:p

Reading this will help your understanding:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

May 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

or if you could explain

It's been a couple of years since I've heard the HD595, but I've owned the HD650 for 6 years. I think it's a better long-term investment than the HD595. It's a great headphone, it has a very refined balance compared to other headphones I've heard. What do I mean by refined? Well, it has a unique way of immersing me into the music. It's not that hard to drive, but it's worth getting a good amplifier and source for.

I don't think the HD650 has a "dim treble" though. It's a quite bright headphone compared to something like the Panasonic HTF600.

It's the most comfortable I've tried. If comfort is a big issue for you, the HE-400 isn't the optimal choice. I have the HE-6, and I'm fine with its level of comfort, but the HD650 fits much better and is practically weightless in comparison (HE-400 is lighter than HE-6 though). After owning the HD650  for a few years I thought it was getting boring, and I since got a couple of other headphones. But it's a headphone I'll never sell. 

May 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

It's been a couple of years since I've heard the HD595, but I've owned the HD650 for 6 years. I think it's a better long-term investment than the HD595. It's a great headphone, it has a very refined balance compared to other headphones I've heard. What do I mean by refined? Well, it has a unique way of immersing me into the music. It's not that hard to drive, but it's worth getting a good amplifier and source for.

I don't think the HD650 has a "dim treble" though. It's a quite bright headphone compared to something like the Panasonic HTF600.

It's the most comfortable I've tried. If comfort is a big issue for you, the HE-400 isn't the optimal choice. I have the HE-6, and I'm fine with its level of comfort, but the HD650 fits much better and is practically weightless in comparison (HE-400 is lighter than HE-6 though). After owning the HD650  for a few years I thought it was getting boring, and I since got a couple of other headphones. But it's a headphone I'll never sell. 

The HD 598 is quite different than the older HD 595.

May 23, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 13
as i had owned an hd650 and heard the hd598 alot of times, with the setup you have right now, id personally go with the hd598. be weary of the plastic headband though as it is alomst always the problem with the hd598.

the hd650 sounds crap if you dont pair it well with an amp, somtimes it even starts to perform well with a desktop amp that costs more than the headphone itself. a cheap alternative like O2 or E9 would suffice but it still doesnt perform well IMO.

ymmv

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 13
^ the HD598 sounds great and the 650's are a pretty big investment considering the amp it needs. I've owned the HD598 and the mids are fantastic. I'd say a really good neutral headphone

598's will handle your genre's really well in my opinion, I always switch to them when my AKG701 are too lifeless for a certain song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back