HD598 or HD600
Mar 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MentholBreath

New Head-Fier
Hello, let me start off by saying i am pretty new to the "audiophile" world but i love music, so i have decided to get some new headphones. The last week or so i've spent my nights researching what headphones should fit me best. What i've come up with is the HD600 or the HD598. Firstly, let me give you some information about what i will be using the headphones for:

1. Genres: I listen to a wide variety of genres, and i get that not all of them can sound good on a single headphone, but mostly i listen to jazz/classical/rock/drum'n'bass. So with this in mind i've been looking for headphones that have decent bass but dont overwhelm the other elements. Im no basshead, but i dont want my music to sound boring because of no bass either. Open design is important for me and soundstage/instrument separation should be good.
  2. Output: I will not be using an Amp at this time sadly as my economy right now doesnt allow it. I will plug the headphones straight into my computer. The soundcard is decent, nothing fancy. Perhaps at the end of the year i will be investing in an Amp/dac combo (Price range 100-250$).

The HD600 is considerably pricier than the HD598, but of what i have gathered the HD598 seriously lack bass. The HD600 is of what i've read not the best for bass, but it has "quality" bass, not so much "quantity bass" and i think they should be enough for me. Also the problem with driving the headphones comes in. The HD598 should be really easy to drive, while the HD600 is harder. Both should be fine without amp i think even if it is not ideally. The problem is if the HD600 wont sound better than the HD598 because they require more to drive them?

Anyway, i am in need of some advice regarding this. Which headphones do you think will work best for my needs and circumstances?

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 3
HD598, give HD600 a go after getting a good amp for it and see which you like better. HD600 can sound pretty bad compared to 598 and other less expensive headphones without an amplifier that is suitable for it.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 3
I have both and I'd pick the HD-600. HD-598 has better soundstage (more air) but that's about it. HD-600 is better in all other regards imo. But not sure it will sound good unamped though. But maybe you should see it this way - if you get a HD-600 it's an investment for the future - it will be better when you invest in a new dac and amp later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back