HD598,Momentum, Other.
Sep 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #16 of 72
  Can't you bring your own DAC/AMP for the H6 test?  I did it, but I am in the US.

would if I could,I still have no gear...Ive been demo-ing 2-3 times per week for the last 5 weeks and everytime I think I have made up my mind,I find something new/better...so instead of making an impulse buy that I might later regret,Im trying to do all my homework before plunking down cash!

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 72
Sure, just post and I will try to help you.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 72
  Not exactly comfortable after an hour or 2, and I can wear both M-100 and Momentum pass 6+ hours.  Sound wise the P5 bass is really strong with good trebles, but the mids are really recessed compare to the M-100 and even more so for the Momentum.  Knowing what I know now, I probably would not have gotten my P5, even though I love the sound of most B&W products, especially my MM-1.  Package and useability wise the M-100 wins hands down with much wider sound stage and defused bass compare to the Momentum.

How do you feel about your t350s? Have you tried the hd598s? If so how do they compare to the vmodas

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #20 of 72
  How do you feel about your t350s? Have you tried the hd598s? If so how do they compare to the vmodas

Forget the Ferrari T350, it is an overpriced piece of crap, and I have not heard the 598 but a lot of people seems to like it.  I think only the Momentum can really compare to the M-100 as they are both in the same class.  I am using the Momentum more recently as I am going a bit of A/B testing for my OpAmp chips in the VC SDT, but in truth I think I like the M-100 more as it performs better in other situations like VoIP or gaming.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 72
Forget the Ferrari T350, it is an overpriced piece of crap, and I have not heard the 598 but a lot of people seems to like it.  I think only the Momentum can really compare to the M-100 as they are both in the same class.  I am using the Momentum more recently as I am going a bit of A/B testing for my OpAmp chips in the VC SDT, but in truth I think I like the M-100 more as it performs better in other situations like VoIP or gaming.

Sorry for all the questions but how do the m-100s sound as far as metal and rock go?

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 72

Sorry for all the questions but how do the m-100s sound as far as metal and rock go?

Very, very good.  I have the Linkin Park collection from iTunes and Green Day from HDtracks, and the M-100 works really well with both of my AK120+SDT or VERZA+iPod setup.  If you are lucky, you can demo it in some Macy's store, or get one from Microsoft store if you want to check it out physically.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #23 of 72
  Very, very good.  I have the Linkin Park collection from iTunes and Green Day from HDtracks, and the M-100 works really well with both of my AK120+SDT or VERZA+iPod setup.  If you are lucky, you can demo it in some Macy's store, or get one from Microsoft store if you want to check it out physically.

well you diffidently have me convinced to put the m-100s on the "considering list". Are there any other headphones I should check out?

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #26 of 72
  well you diffidently have me convinced to put the m-100s on the "considering list". Are there any other headphones I should check out?

At the $300-$350 range the top dogs in my opinion are: M-100, Momentum, AKG K550, and of course the Mad Dog.  Some recommend the KEF M500 and Philips Fidelio X1 too.  Also check out the Sony MDR-1R and Beyerdynamics DT1350 at $200 level (both original MSRP at $300.)

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 72
  How are the mometums with metal?

Not too sure as I listen mostly to pop and EDMs, but the Momentum is pretty good across the board, so I am sure Metal will work fine with it.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #29 of 72
  At the $300-$350 range the top dogs in my opinion are: M-100, Momentum, AKG K550, and of course the Mad Dog.  Some recommend the KEF M500 and Philips Fidelio X1 too.  Also check out the Sony MDR-1R and Beyerdynamics DT1350 at $200 level (both original MSRP at $300.)

I think its worth mentioning that the Momentums and the Mad Dogs are both harder to drive than the M-100 and KEF500
The Sony PHA-1 amp drives both the 100s & 500s but when I tried the Momentum and Mad Dogs w/ the Sony amp/DAC they both sounded like crap.Im sure both are great HPs,tho I have yet to hear either driven properly,but if the OP doesnt want to drop extra cash on a powerful amp/DAC they might want to consider the 100 or 500s.

The bass kick of the M-100s was too strong on this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_xnc-zikpc

I literally couldnt turn it up too loud to enjoy the rest of the song because the bass was slamming too hard,and for metal and rock the vocals and guitars really left me wanting alot more.

The 500s were alot more balanced,less thump,more mids,clean bottom and nice highs,but if you enjoy mega thump and the "wow" factor on certain tracks than you might prefer the 100s.

I do prefer the look and feel of the M-100s over the 500s,in fact the unique look of the 500s doesnt appeal to me at all,but im after the sound and not the way it looks on my skull,tho im sure that matters to some folks.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #30 of 72
The Momentum is only 18 ohms vs. 32 of the M-100.  But if you think their bass is too hard, then you need to look for something more neutral.  I guess other Sennheiser or something with higher impedance will be better for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back