HD595's to sr225?
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Posts
1,569
Likes
14
I was thinking about ordering a pair of Grado sr225's. Up until now I've only heard music through my HD595's (which I really like). But, Ive heard so much talk about Grados here on this forum that I'm really curious as to what all the talk is about. They especially interest me because theyre supposed to be so great for rock and metal. What can I expect from the 225's after Ive been used to my 595's? I'm not going to ditch the 595's because I really like them, but I am very curious.
icon10.gif
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 12

NotJeffBuckley

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Posts
1,314
Likes
19
They'll sound great, but brighter than you're used to (cymbals and guitar will sound different, possibly better). However, they also won't sound as full, and you might think something is missing at first. It's not, you just have to get used to open supra-aural headphones' presentation. It's not the same as circumaurals' at all.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 12

OceanEnthusiast

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Posts
365
Likes
0
coming from senn hd580s and listening to 225's, the first thing i noticed about the 225's was less bass in terms of quantity, bass wasn't as deep, not nearly as full sounding, almost no soundstage in comparison to the senns, grado's were crisper sounding overall, more transparent, drums were quicker, and the highs made me wince if turned up nearly as loud as what is comfortable on the senns.

i ended up buying a pair btw, (well 325i's).
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 12

glac1er

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Posts
990
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I was thinking about ordering a pair of Grado sr225's. Up until now I've only heard music through my HD595's (which I really like). But, Ive heard so much talk about Grados here on this forum that I'm really curious as to what all the talk is about. They especially interest me because theyre supposed to be so great for rock and metal. What can I expect from the 225's after Ive been used to my 595's? I'm not going to ditch the 595's because I really like them, but I am very curious.
icon10.gif



I was in the same situation as you also.

What I noticed when I switched from HD595 to SR225:
-Loss of soundstage
-Vocals not quite as good
-The grados were soooo small
eek.gif
and looked very cute
tongue.gif

-More bass impact
-Rock sounds better and more energetic but not quite as refined
-A bit harsh but it was easy to get used too

Those are all I remember
tongue.gif
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 12

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Posts
1,569
Likes
14
Hmm. Tough decision. I guess it's the same story Ive heard since joining this forum, some people like them and some people dont. I guess I'll just have to try them out and see for myself and be my own judge.

Glac1er, if you could go back in time, would you not have gotten them? Or did they have a charm that you liked? Did you keep them?
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 12

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Posts
8,496
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
coming from senn hd580s and listening to 225's, the first thing i noticed about the 225's was less bass in terms of quantity, bass wasn't as deep, not nearly as full sounding, almost no soundstage in comparison to the senns, grado's were crisper sounding overall, more transparent, drums were quicker, and the highs made me wince if turned up nearly as loud as what is comfortable on the senns.

i ended up buying a pair btw, (well 325i's).



I completely agree with you. I have both the HD650 and the SR325i and the SR325i is just more dynamic and fun. The bass is tighter and better controlled. Highs are let loose and hence the overall brightness. The HD650 (and my previous HD555) had a much more prominent lower midrange, which contributes to the full-sounding nature of the Senns. The SR325i's lower midrange is much more controlled and hence sounds a little thinner.

At first, I hated my SR325i:
-headaches
-rediculous ear fatigue after only 10 minutes of listening
-uncomfortable pressure on head
-physical ear fatigue
-far too bright

but as time went on, I got used to them (eg much less fatigue, no more headaches, etc). In fact, I LOVE the brightness! After some burning in, the brightness was slightly reduced and I got used to the fit and comfort of the SR325i. I think that you won't be used to Grados at first, having come from Senns. Give them some time and patience. You won't regret it!

The SR225 will be much better for rock than the HD595. You will get my point when you have a listen. Remember, patience is the key to appreciating Grados.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 12

OceanEnthusiast

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Posts
365
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Hmm. That doesnt sound too positive. If you could go back in time, would you not have gotten them? Or did they have a charm that you liked? Did you keep them?


my point was that they're different and each headphone has strengths and weaknesses. what i love about my sennheisers (the huge, articulate soundstage, full rich sound, deep full bass) are things the grados really lack. the grados do their own thing though with clarity, impressive quick string instruments, sparkly treble, transparency, quick percussion; these are things the sennheisers really don't do as well.

the joke is, we all want a gradennheiser.

i wouldn't just buy them without listening to them first. try to find a dealer, there has to be one somewhere.

im glad i bought them, although a year later im trying to decide if im done with the grado's and am ready for something else or not. but a lot of people stand by grado.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 12

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Posts
1,569
Likes
14
I guess I could audition them somewhere here in town, but Id feel better about listening to them here on my own setup.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I may just give them a shot.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 12

glac1er

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Posts
990
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Hmm. Tough decision. I guess it's the same story Ive heard since joining this forum, some people like them and some people dont. I guess I'll just have to try them out and see for myself and be my own judge.

Glac1er, if you could go back in time, would you not have gotten them? Or did they have a charm that you liked? Did you keep them?



Tough question...

I actually sold both the HD595 and the SR225.
tongue.gif
but I liked the
HD595 better than SR225.

The SR225 was pretty good but I sold them in favor of DT990 pros.
The SR225's charm is its energy in fast or rock songs.
 
Feb 28, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 12

OceanEnthusiast

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Posts
365
Likes
0
Quote:

The SR225 will be much better for rock than the HD595.


this is said very frequently, but it's not my personal taste. i like the grados for acoustic music, including jazz and classic sometimes, acoustic guitar, piano. for a lot of rock i actually like the sennheisers. the grados have too much treble energy for a lot of rock for me, which keeps me below a decent volume and i want fuller bass. there are others who feel the same.

i'm not saying this poster's preference is wrong, because it is a very common opinion. i just think this grado=rock is repeated as an absolute rule on head-fi, and it's misleading because it isn't a rule at all.

another reason to go listen before you buy.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top