HD595? Something else?
Mar 30, 2004 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

devwild

1000+ Head-Fier
Yeah, I know, not supposed to trust reviews and all, but I like getting a little input. especially since my opportunities to comparison shop for more than a few headphones is fairly limitted.

My first pair of "real" headphones was a pair of HD525's I bought out of high school after listenning to my friend's 545's. Being my first set, I was happy with the purchase, especially for the price. 3 months later I sat on them and popped off one can. I felt devastated until I fixed it with a hot nail (predrilling in plastic is easy
wink.gif
) and a small screw through the hole of the metal strap. It's still firmly attatched to this day.

Couple years pass, and the same thing happened to me that happened to many a person with the old 5xx series, the bloody cable connectors crapped out. I can still use them (used them as work headphones) but I have to wrap the cable around my neck to keep the sound from dropping out when I move.

So I "emergency" purchased a pair of 570s. That's my current computer listenning pair (using them now). But I have never been fully satisfied with them. They were supposed to be the newer rev of the 545s according to Senn, but the 525s (and 545s from what I heard of them) sounded brighter and more detailed (if a bit more distorted in the case of the 525).

Advance in the years again, and now I'm feeling up to spending a bit more on a pair of headphones I will be happier with for casual use. A year ago I purchased a pair of Grado SR80s and while they sound great, they aren't suited for casual listenning like Sennheisers designs are. I love the comfort, and not being an audio geek to the extent of most of you here, that's a real factor for me. (Thanks for the tip about the Senn pads on the Grados BTW, waiting on them now)

Ok, to the meat of it. From what I've read this far, I am currently targetting either the 590 or the 595 as a new purchase. 595 more likely just because the two sound (this is without having a chance to hear for myself yet) fairly comparable but I like the 595 design better (another minor gripe about the 570).

Hopefully what I've said above gives you a bit of idea to my tastes. I like a bright, open soundstage (not overly bright though or my ears freak out, but anything of quality has never done that to me) over the dark, crowded feeling I've noticed in many newer models. I particularly like accuracy across the spectrum, but especially at the extremes, where distortion or insufficiant power becomes annoying. I don't, however, have perfect source material, and though I generally just live with hearing what I hear, this is part of the reason I'm not aiming real high.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'd like to hear how the 595's cut it unamped on a device with decent power (non-portable). It shocked me to see anyone here mention an Audigy sound card. I'd throw mine out the window with a vengence if I wasn't using the firewire port. I replaced it with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and that did wonders for my listenning. (I know, again, far from the best, but far better sounding and much more power than Creative's crap)

I'm open to non-Senn options too, but I want something Open, comfortable, and obtainable for under $200. (595s are 190)

Any advice on "starter" (read - affordable) headphone amps is appreciated too.

Thanks,
dev*

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 18
Sorry to ramble so much, especially in a newb question thread... I'm sure that turns folks off...

Anyway, based on what I've been seeing in other threads, it still sounds like the 595 is a good target for me. I'm still open to suggestions though, and now more seriously looking at amps, so still open there too. Wouldn't be purchasing one for a bit after getting the headphones though, need the money for a new PDA.
cool.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 18
I too am looking at the 595's. Im in a similar situation, but aim to get a higher end sound card, as well as make my own amp (To keep costs down, and because I enjoy soldering, and working on projects in general).

Im wondering where you found the 595's for only 190?
confused.gif

Without hijacking your thread, i have read that the 595's are easier to drive. My question is whether the amped 595 sounds better than the amped 590 or 580.

Some are mentioning a benefit of the 595 as being a good amp-less headphone, however, if I plan to use an amp regardless, might I be better off with a different model?

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 18
I'd actually like to hear answers to those questions too, so don't feel like you're hijacking. One the reasons the 595's seem like a decent choice is I know I will probably use them amped and unamped eventually, though probably not with portables (good thing, that's what my HD280PRO's are for, shut out the bus noise
smily_headphones1.gif
)

As for price, buy.com has the 595 for 191+S/H. One thing I've realized lately is not to underestimate good old buy.com. sometimes they have some nice prices (and sometimes they are horrid). Etronics has good prices on Senns too, though they don't appear to have the 595 yet - that's where I got my 280PROs.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 18
Also looking into the 595. Just cheked buy.com, as per your comment, and they have 1 to 2 weeks waiting period... gives me more time to review
wink.gif

I also saw other posts where the A900 is suggested as a comparable option in terms of function (although they are closed so you may not be interested). So I'm looking into those as well. If you already saw that post, my apologies.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 18
You said you were looking for something for comfortable lengthy listening sessions. I might recommend the senn580's instead, since they're more layed back than the 595's, from what reviewers here and at headroom claim. They're cheaper, as well.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 18
Yeah. 1 to 2 weeks shipping means "good luck!"

I also just checked some 595 reviews in this forum and some posters insist the 595 needs an amp to be driven properly and recomended beatiful comfortable Grado's instead if unamped. Given that you also asked about amps in you post I assume you are aware of this information.

Fo me, it seems it's back to the drawing board as I cannot afford an amp right now.
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 18
Eh, it was when I first looked, not at the moment. I guess they probably sell out quick at that price. At least with buy.com you have a chance of getting it within a month unlike the cheesy yahoo stores (which are also all out of stock on it, do a search on Froogle.com).

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 18
The a900's sound like a great upgrade for my 280's sometime down the road and I agree the sound right down my ally sound/price wise. But 90% of the time I actually don't want the isolation. Sometimes it's good to be able to hear what's going on around you.. roommate knocking on the door, car exploding outside...
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Eternauta
Yeah. 1 to 2 weeks shipping means "good luck!"

I also just checked some 595 reviews in this forum and some posters insist the 595 needs an amp to be driven properly and recomended beatiful comfortable Grado's instead if unamped. Given that you also asked about amps in you post I assume you are aware of this information.

Fo me, it seems it's back to the drawing board as I cannot afford an amp right now.
frown.gif

Well I interpreted the opinions more as quite workable without an amp, but shines with an amp, which seems to be closer to my own experiences with the younger sibling the 555.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 18
Yes, you are right NightRaven. I reread the comment from gsferrari and it's more inline with your observation. Just in case others are wondering, that thread is here:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=67300

The possible lack of power to drive the 595 with my Karma still worries me somewhat. Of course my worries are completely based on reviews mostly from this board since I've never ever tried any of these headphones. I'm a total newb but I guess I should go outside, leave my desktop behind, and try some of these myself on my Karma. Then again, living vicariously through others is much cheaper
biggrin.gif

This forum is great education for me.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 18
Do a search.. HD595

As I said earlier, some prices good, some bad.

This will be much easier after more places (like etronics) actually start stocking the 595

Users who are viewing this thread

Back