HD595 or HD650
Apr 30, 2004 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bogo2

Head-Fier
Hello

I have the Sennheiser 650/HA-2. But I want now a headphone who i can put directly on the Headphone Out in a Yamaha Reciver ( Cilent Cinema ) With the HD650 the sound is to dark and warm. Is it possible, that the HD595 could be better for looking Movies wiht a Headphone Prozessing?

Withe the Corda HA-2 The Sennheiser sounds great.

I heard that there a people who prefere the sound from the HD595 over the HD650. But the most people like more the HD650.

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Is it possible, that the HD595 could be better for looking Movies wiht a Headphone Prozessing

I would go for Ultrasone HFI-700 DVD edition, it will be easier to drive than the 650s and would sound good from your reciever.

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 4
My friend, you've run into the idiosyncracy of the high-end Sennheiser headphones. Yamaha receivers almost always have a very high output impedance from their headphone jacks. (One Yamaha receiver's headphone output is specced at an output impedance of 560 ohms, with a sensitivity rating of 0.34 mV - the lower the mV sensitivity rating, the less you'd need to turn the volume control up or down for any given change in output loudness.) But Sennheiser's high-end headphones always favor low output impedances over high output impedances. And mismatching Sennheiser's high-end headphones with a high-impedance jack will almost always result in a dark, veiled sound.

The Sennheiser HD 595's, while brighter than the HD 650's, would still suffer from the dark, veiled sound from that Yamaha receiver headphone jack - only to a slightly lesser extent. You're better off with headphones from another brand that are better matches than any Sennheiser headphone for high-impedance outputs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abula
I would go for Ultrasone HFI-700 DVD edition, it will be easier to drive than the 650s and would sound good from your reciever.

Not so fast. The Ultrasone HFI-700 DVD Edition is already darker and bassier in its presentation than the Sennheiser HD 650. Thus, the Ultrasone would sound even worse than the Sennheisers directly from that Yamaha receiver headphone jack!

Apr 30, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Eagle Driver is right: your Yamaha receiver shows the typical symptoms of a high output impedance. Now that's a very bad thing, not only for Sennheiser phones, but for headphones generally, and it principally excludes the use of low-impedance headphones even more. Whatever headphones you plug in, they will always emphasize the 100-Hz area, because that's where the bass resonance usually is, accompanied by an impedance rise. The only headphones that come to mind which could be worth a try are the Beyer DT 931 (benefits from 120 ohm serial resistance) and the AKG K 501 -- provided that the Yamaha is powerful enough to drive it.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back