HD595 - improving comfort?
Mar 18, 2006 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

q_hada

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a pair of HD595s from a fellow head-fier, and I'm really enjoying the sound - it seems to go pretty well with all the music I listen to. Anyway, the problem is that I find them uncomfortable because the headband presses into the top of my head, and the padding on the headband doesn't really help. I've tried fully extending the headband and placing them more forward on my head, basically reducing the contact between the headband and my head... but then they feel unstable. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you been able to fix it?

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 8
mmh I have seen a method to redce the pressure of the headband, I have to search for it tho. it was with a book larger than your head (not too much) and you place it right over the cans so you won't exerce anypressure on the cushions.
however my 595 are unstable, I don't know how to put them.
I don't have a pressure problem, when I put my ears in the bottom of the cans (shorter headband) they still don't pressure my head.
how you guys wear them? I have small ears and changing the way I wear them may change the way I hear, doesn't it?
I usually put my ears closer to the front top of the cushions.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Hmm I've seen that method of stretching the headband, but I imagine that would reduce the horizontal clamping force, not the pressure on the top of my head. I might be wrong though.

The thing is, it's not like it's pressing that hard on my head. Maybe I'll get used to it, eventually. I don't ever really have stuff pushing on the top of my head...

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
They should loosen up with use. My HD555 loosened up after some use.

Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought them used and figured that they'd already be 'broken in' (in terms of fit), but they're less than a month old... About how long did it your HD555s take to loosen up?

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 8
oh?! you mean the pressure due the the weight of the headphones. they press the top of your head mmmh, then maybe the pressure on your ears is too loose...
because to pressure should be divided between your top head and your ears to reduce the weight, then I don't know how to help.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 8
So you're saying that with the earpieces fully extended, the headband still pushes too hard on your head? You must have an exceptionally large head!

Serious DIY can fix it. The band that attaches the earpieces to the headband is a simple piece of steel. Replacing both pieces with longer ones and also rewiring the internal cable to accomodate the extra length might solve your problem.

Or are you saying that the cans just feel too heavy?

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 8
I think I know what he means, it's hard to describe. The padding on the headband is isn't dispersing the weight as well as you'd expect padding to. It's putting uncomfortable pressure across a smaller area, and the weight of the headphones doesn't help.

Maybe that's a terrible explaination and it's not helping at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back