HD595 amp
Dec 27, 2006 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

warMen

100+ Head-Fier
What's the best amp to make these sound more punchy and bring out/brighten up the sound and make them seem faster? My budget is ~150, because I'm planning on getting a line out cable for my iPod as well. Would the Go-Vibe 5 be suited for this? I've heard a lot of good things about it 'round here.

Also, I don't wanna order anything from China or that crap.

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm not too sure about the a bright sounding amp for $150, but the GoVibe recieves quite a lot of praise. As for the lineout, I suggest getting a silver one from ALO (www.aloaudio.com), perhaps the Bling Bling Silver Dock when they're in stock again. I've read numerous times that they have a very 'bright' sound.

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 13
So, you don't wanna buy "anything from China or that crap" but you'd buy the Go-Vibe v5.
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, I have a "M" Hornet and it does everything you are asking for. Punchier/bigger bass, more lively/faster sound and more present, more upfront highs. As well as more details and bigger soundstage.

Only the thing is it's out of your budget. Too bad.
I have also a Little Dot Micro+... but it's no match for The Hornet. It will hust add some detail and a bit of soundstage, but won't give you punchier bass nor better highs.

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have also a Little Dot Micro+... but it's no match for The Hornet. It will hust add some detail and a bit of soundstage, but won't give you punchier bass nor better highs.

And what else did you expect.
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, you don't wanna buy "anything from China or that crap" but you'd buy the Go-Vibe v5.
biggrin.gif

I thought it was Canadian
plainface.gif
. I just don't have a Paypal account (I probably won't have one for a while, either), so that's the reason I have to stay within America to buy one

Rick Hunter, I know you mentioned the Hornet before. You are right, it's out of my price range
eek.gif

Does anyone know if the Headroom Total Bithead would be a good choice, the amp/dac combo? Or what about the Total Airhead? I haven't been able to read much about those amps on here, but will they give me that type of sound? If not, I think I'll go with the Go-Vibe

And yes, I was planning on getting a cable from ALO. But, if I connected the amp to my computer, would I have to use the headphone jack line out to plug it into my amp? Or is there some cleaner, un-amped line (like the ipod) from my computer where I could plug it in with?

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Behave
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 13
I just e-mailed Norm asking about an amp. Should I go with the Go-vibe V5S or the normal V5? Does the op-amp rolling make a big difference if I want it to?

Also, this is just a general question about amps- If I plug it in through the headphone jack on my iPod, will it make any difference at all, or do I need a true unamped line out cable for it? I'm wondering the same thing for my sound card. I plan on making both of these cables.

One more thing- low gain or high gain version (for 50ohm hd595s). I'm leaning low-gain. I don't forsee any upgrades in the future.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, this is just a general question about amps- If I plug it in through the headphone jack on my iPod, will it make any difference at all, or do I need a true unamped line out cable for it? I'm wondering the same thing for my sound card. I plan on making both of these cables.

^i have the same exact question.

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #10 of 13
Seriously, if you connect the ipod to the amp trough the headphone jack, you are wasting your amp... garbage in, garbage out.

Get a lineout dock for the ipod and use that for connecting the amp: the lineout is cleaner, crisper, more detailed and with better top/bottom extension in respect to the headphone jack... good signal in, good sound out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, if you connect the ipod to the amp trough the headphone jack, you are wasting your amp... garbage in, garbage out.

i disagree. it is not wasting the amp. i have a go vibe and use it with my ipod out of the headphone jack with the 595's. the go vibe amp is a clear improvement.

i also have a head five amp that i use with the same ipod, but i do use a line out from the ipod with this set up. i prefer this set up, however, this is more of an amp preference in my opinion....and the difference between the two is subtle.

just my 2 cents.

Dec 31, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm in the process of buying a Go-Vibe V5 from Norm, and I'm also in the process of getting a DAC. I'll tell everyone how it is. Hopefully I can do these headphones some justice.

I just made my own mini-mini from some cat5e cable. I'm going to see how it sounds once I get the amp and DAC. Works fine in my stereo, but that's not detailed enough to hear any changes. Next step, I'm going to make an iPod line out cable. Or I'll just noob it up and buy one if it's too hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back