HD595 50ohms Amp Suggestions?
Mar 10, 2006 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sl300

Head-Fier
Hey everybody! I am fairly new to the hifi world and well i took a plunge a few months back and i ended up with a hd595 which i love. Problem is i've been running it straight out of a on-board soundcard ever since i got it and now i'm looking for an upgrade.

I was thinking about purchasing a emu0404 followed by an amp (budget 300CAD MAX). I've been reading that the HD595 50ohm wouldnt benefit much from an amp? if thats false please suggest away!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 19
I just received an m-audio 5.1 revolution. It is a step above and beyond my Audigy 2 platinum. I read on here that the m-audio headphone jack is powered so you don't need an amp. This is definitely true. If I maxed out the volume, my ears would be bleeding. Anyway, the m-audio revolution 5.1 is a simple solution. I'm planning on saving up for the micro stack before upgrading my headphones. My songs (256 AAC) sound much closer to CD quality now so I should be happy for the time being.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sl300
I've been reading that the HD595 50ohm wouldnt benefit much from an amp? if thats false please suggest away!
biggrin.gif

To the best of my knowledge, the 595's would benefit greatly from a dedicated headphone amp. If you decide to go the amp direction and feel like dropping a few, then you might skip the sound card and go straight to an amp/dac combo. That would include the Micro Stack, the Corda Aria, the Porta Corda, ... and after that things start getting expensive.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
600smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

I've been reading that the HD595 50ohm wouldnt benefit much from an amp? if thats false please suggest away!
biggrin.gif

It does benefit from an amp, but you will notice a more substantial improvement by upgrading your source first. I would try that and see how you like it before investing in an amp.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
To the best of my knowledge, the 595's would benefit greatly from a dedicated headphone amp. If you decide to go the amp direction and feel like dropping a few, then you might skip the sound card and go straight to an amp/dac combo. That would include the Micro Stack, the Corda Aria, the Porta Corda, ... and after that things start getting expensive.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
600smile.gif

skip the soundcard and goto a amp and dac? does that i mean i should picked up a USB DAC then to AMP?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
It does benefit from an amp, but you will notice a more substantial improvement by upgrading your source first. I would try that and see how you like it before investing in an amp.

I was planning on picking up the emu0404 then an amp (not sure about this department, was eyeing a few but im unsure) , (i dont want to buy a cheapo soundcard then have to upgrade again)

Or would I be better off getting a chaintec then a pa2v2 or home-vibe?

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

skip the soundcard and goto a amp and dac? does that i mean i should picked up a USB DAC then to AMP?

In the case of the Micro Stack, yes, cause that would be the Micro DAC and the Micro Amp from Headroom. In case of the Cordas, it's different, cause they have the DAC build in, that means you only need one device.
The advantage in both cases would be, that you don't need to buy a new soundcard at all
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 19
I think a Micro Stack would be overkill for the 595s. If you don't think you'll be getting 600s/650s any time soon, get the Total Bithead. It's a brilliant amp and external sound card - and is more than capable of powering 595s. The absolute silence (i.e. no hiss) when nothing is playing, even when you're at full volume, boggles the mind. Your headphones are plugged into your PC; and it's *silent*. No hiss, no squelchy noises when minimising windows, nothing.

I thought about an emu0404 but TBH is so much more useful and better value - it's an amp AND a soundcard.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 19
I have to beg to differ on the previous post. Having had both the Bithead and the Microstack w/ 595s it is not overkill, but bliss. Truly apples and oranges
and I have never heard by Senns happier than when plugged into the Stack
with good source material.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
I think a Micro Stack would be overkill for the 595s. If you don't think you'll be getting 600s/650s any time soon, get the Total Bithead. It's a brilliant amp and external sound card - and is more than capable of powering 595s.

I haven't heard the Micro Stack but I'm currently driving my 595s from my computer with a nice DAC and an Aria and they just keep getting better and better. I don't think the Micro Stack would be overkill at all. The difference between the Aria and my Total Airhead in this config is immediately noticeable to everyone that's listened to it.

They respond well to amplification IMO though in my experience they are perhaps a little picky about it. I didn't find as much difference with the XCan V2 or RA1 when I demo'd them from the TAH (approx 30 mins/each at dealer prem).

FWIW I have the 120 Ohm version so it could be different for the 50 Ohm version.

Ant

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore
In the case of the Micro Stack, yes, cause that would be the Micro DAC and the Micro Amp from Headroom. In case of the Cordas, it's different, cause they have the DAC build in, that means you only need one device.
The advantage in both cases would be, that you don't need to buy a new soundcard at all
wink.gif

so both will plug straight into the usb? and thats all?
tongue.gif

I just read your thread here
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...595+Corda+Aria
very tempting i must say..

also have you used the microstack?

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by senny-ftw
I think a Micro Stack would be overkill for the 595s. If you don't think you'll be getting 600s/650s any time soon, get the Total Bithead. It's a brilliant amp and external sound card - and is more than capable of powering 595s. The absolute silence (i.e. no hiss) when nothing is playing, even when you're at full volume, boggles the mind. Your headphones are plugged into your PC; and it's *silent*. No hiss, no squelchy noises when minimising windows, nothing.

hmmm...that's interesting. someone in the forum told me that the bithead or the airhead, whichever versions, is kinda trash. just because there is no hiss coming out, does that make it a "brilliant" audio device? but for $150-200, i'm sure there are something much better on the market. maybe a combo of silverstone and a go-vibe or pa2v2?

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

tongue.gif

Structurally, the Micro Stack differs from the Meier Audio (Corda) offerings in that the stack consists of two pieces, and amp and a DAC, whereas the Cordas are once-piece amp/DAC's. In either case, one way to work the thing is plug your cans into the amp/DAC, plug your DAC into your PC via usb, and then enjoy the music. Both also allow you to use the amp w/o the DAC feature if you want.

I'll add another vote that I think the 595's more than deserve the Micro Stack. I think they also deserve a Corda Aria, but you just missed its introductory price offer.
frown.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

EDIT: Do note that you wouldn't want to try using the Micro DAC without some kind of amp... that would be painful.

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

tongue.gif

Yes, when you plug the Cordas or the Micro DAC into a USB port, your internal soundcard is disabled automaticly (when using windows xp, not sure about linuxand macos), and they become your "new" soundcard.

Unfortunately i haven't heard the Micro Stack. It has of course one great advantage over the Cordas: you get two pieces which you can use independently, for example only the amp when you're on the go.

But the Stack costs 598$, whereas the Aria is "only" 450$, and the Porta is 275$.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore
Yes, when you plug the Cordas or the Micro DAC into a USB port, your internal soundcard is disabled automaticly (when using windows xp, not sure about linuxand macos), and they become your "new" soundcard.

Unfortunately i haven't heard the Micro Stack. It has of course one great advantage over the Cordas: you get two pieces which you can use independently, for example only the amp when you're on the go.

But the Stack costs 598$, whereas the Aria is "only" 450$, and the Porta is 275$.

It would automatically disable my onboard soundcard? anyway to turn off that feature because i would want to switch between my headphones and speakers without bending over and plugging/replugging in the usb
mad.gif

i think i will take the soundcard out of the picture and get one of the above mention dac/amp sets/combos

now just to pick
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunaticpuma
I read on here that the m-audio headphone jack is powered so you don't need an amp.

All headphone-outs are 'powered' or amped to be more accurate, but thats the point of a seperate amp, its a better amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back