hd590 equinox cable upgrade!!!
Oct 9, 2002 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
I suggest this, no I demand that anyone who owns the 590 must upgrade from the stock cable. Even though I own the hd600 and have upgraded that cable, I must say the equinox makes a bigger difference with the 590 (imo) Makes them a totally new headphone (that just sounds awesome!!!)

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 53
you might be the first person on the boards to try out this cable...definitely post some detailed comments!

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 53
not being much of an "audiophile" I will have a hard time exactly describing the change in the overall sound of the phones with the new cable but after I listen for a few more days I will post what I can about the specifics.....

Oct 12, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 53
I absolutely agree with fyrfyterhadges on this. I have had the Stephan Audio Arts (Equinox) cable on my 590's since the begining and even though I own a pair of 600's I almost always prefer the 590. I went back to the stock cable on the 600's but I tried the Cardas, the Red Clou and an Equinox on them during the same period (over a week) but I still preferred the 590 with the Stephan Arts cable to the 600's in any configuration.

It's hard to say now since I have always preferred my 590's to my 600's (the preference is slight but still important) in any form but in the back of my mind I have always wondered how much the 590 w/Equinox infuenced my opinion since, as I said earlier, I've had the Stephan Arts Audio Equinox cable on them from the begining.

Taphil,

I'm glad to hear from you agian. The offer to lend you my Equinox cable still stands. PM me.

Best
Brian

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 53
Since the 590 uses a single cord, presumably Sennheiser uses some equivalent of the stock cable to connect the right earpiece. I wonder if this influences the sound?

Oct 12, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 53
I've heard a few whispers that the 590's w/Equinox are considered by some to be superior to the 600's. I've been waiting patiently for somebody to give a review of the upgraded 590's.

My patience is running out...
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 53
Geist,

I said that I prefer my 590's with the Equinox cable to my 600's with any cable so many times and in so many threads I can't even remember.

I've taken so much heat at Head-Fi about my opinions on this that one moderator suggested I might be unsuitable for membership at Head-Fi.

Never-the-less, I am still here and I am still saying the same thing. Apparently, if it is being whispered around as you suggest, then they tide is turning and in the end hopefully the truth will win out about the 590's. I have noticed more and more favorable comments about the 590 and more questions concerning "percieved" superiority of the 600's so maybe I am finally making some headway.

I should mention that I was warned by a good friend from the very beginning that if I posted my comments about how I favored the 590 over the 600 I would be thrown to the lions at Head-Fi and if you check the record of threads on this issue you will see that my friend was pretty much correct in this regard.

I've taken everyone you can think of to task on this issue including Tyll at Headroom just because I know it's true; the 590's are way overdue for widespread recognition as a world class headphone. The equal to, or in some cases, the better of the two when compared to the 600.

Get the cable. Tuberoller is a dealer for them and you can get them in any length or with different outer covers.

I hope that helps.

Keep in touch.

Best
Brian

Oct 13, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 53
MODERATORS,

This thread should really be one the Headphone thread.

Oct 13, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 53
bkelly,

Sound-wise, how do the cables improve the 590's? I've seen you and a couple others say the upgrade is amazing, but nobody (that I've seen) has said exactly "how" the 590's are improved.

I've always felt the 590's got a bum rap because many 600 owners felt a little threatened that the 590's were trying to replace or challenge their beloved headphones. I've seen many paranoid 600 owners on different forums dismiss the 590's as "crap", even when they've never listened to them before.

But I must say, in my short time lurking here I haven't seen too much 590-bashing; most people realize that the 590's appeal to a different crowd. The sound of the 590's is different, though not inferior to, the 600's.

Anyways if you could give me an idea of how the sound changes with the cables I would greatly appreciate it. And though I'm not really an "audiophile" (yet) I will do my best to support the 590 cause.

Thanks.

Oct 13, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 53
Geist,

I really can't answer how the cable changed the 590's since I changed the cable almost as soon as I got the headphones and I changed amps at the about the same time. So. it would be very difficult for me to know what to attribute what to but the results speak for themselves. I should say that I always liked the 590's even in stock trim so you should take that into consideration, too. I never felt that it took the cable swap to make them acceptable. Now that I own and use them alongside my 600's my opinion that they easily equal the 600's is unshakeable.

"Fyrfyterhadges" opinions should be worth hearing. He's had both the 590 and 600's for awhile. I think he's also ugraded the cables on both so hi opinions should be very intereting.

I'm surprised to hear that you've seen the 590's trashed onother sites since my experience has been just the opposite. Most comments about them at Headwize are favorable and if someone chooses the 590's over the 600's it doesn't seem to bring the dogs out like it does here. In fact, I've just about accused Head-Fi of being more of a HD600 fan club than a true users group.

Stick around. You'll see what I mean.

Anyhow, keep in touch.

Best
Brian

Oct 13, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #13 of 53
ok guys I see that some are waiting for an opinion on the cable upgrade. first off Iam going to say that I won't get into the debate over whether or not I think that the upgrade makes the 590 better than the 600, its just not worth it. My opinion is that the 590 and the 600 are both great phones, just for different people, my advice to anyone who is thinking of purchasing either should audition them first, with a disc that they are very familiar with. Iam far from an "audiophile" and I try not to use the lingo just because I really do not understand what it all means, without having someone who is an audiophile to explain just what I'm hearing and what is the proper terminlogy to express this. so here goes- short and sweet: my review is based on the hd590 with stephan audioart cable listening to radiohead "ok computer" with my headroom little with outlaw interconnects and a sony dvp s550d cd/dvd player. my first impression was the great bass presention, much tighter than with the stock cable. also the separation of the instruments seemed more noticeable, seemed more like being in the recording studio with the band. Also I noticed a crispness in the higher treble sections where synthesizers are used. It seemed like some of the muddiness that I (my opinion only) noticed was no longer present, overall a much crisper sound in general. And lastly the headphones seem to be overall more accurate than with the stock cable, more punchy if that makes sense. I would not make recommendations on what other people should do with their money but as someone who has had the 590s for a long time I would say that I am very happy with the money spent on this cable. sorry that this review might not be up to par with some of the more experienced people on this forum but I gave it a shot, if there is something that you guys want explained in more detail feel free to post the question and I will try to answer it if I can. Hope this helps you guys......

Oct 14, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 53
Fyrfytrhodges,

Nice record selection to audition your headphones.

Anyhow, as I've said earlier I put the Stephan Audio Arts on my cable real early on so I can't really say much for certain about the differences over the stock cable since I was not at the time really interested in the specific improvements I just remember liking the difference overall. To the best of my knowledge and recollection the biggest differences were in the bass, it was tight and deep and extremly clear to hear. The second was an overall improvement in the midrange where it got bigger and vioices seemed like the center of the recoding and the bass and treble were just oustside color as they should be. I don't remember that much of a change to the top-end but I would like your opinion on the often repeated comment that the 590's are bright to the point of fatigue. Mine are not and I don't think they ever were but I am now not sure as to whether this is an area that the Stephan Audio Arts cable improves or what. As I say, I just can't remember. What is your opinion both before and after the cable swap?

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 53
FYI, the Equinox cable for the HD 590 (and other "bionetic" Sennheisers with a single-sided removable cable) sells for $109 directly from Stephan Art (it's made in the good ol' USA!), while an equivalent cable for the 580/600 (with dual-entry cable) costs $189.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back