HD580s Scratchiness/Graininess/Distortion
Jul 20, 2008 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Tiger27

Head-Fier
Set-up: 5th Gen iPod>Meier 2Move>HD580s
high kbit Apple Lossless files.

Problem: definite sound of "scratchiness/graininess/distortion" on certain recordings. I notice this most around snare, cymbal, electric guitar, so it seems to be specific frequencies. However, sometimes these instruments sound the way I imagine they should sound (no distortion). While I understand that sometimes distortion is added intentionally or left in the mix intentionally, these instances don't fit that description. I do not have this problem with other headphones, e.g., ER4S.

My question: what is most likely causing this problem? Is it possible for a can to have problems with only very specific frequencies? Is this a known problem for 580s or are they maybe "broken." If I like the 580s in general, what are some appropriate replacements/upgrades (let's not go too far off on that thread though)?

Thanks,

Tiger
icon10.gif
580smile.gif
580smile.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 13
do you have another source to test the headphones? try plugging them into your computer and see if you experience the same scratchiness

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 13
It must be your recordings.
When I moved up the hi-fi ladder, I heard distortion on crappy CD's that I never heard before.
The HD580 are quite revealing.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have another source to test the headphones? try plugging them into your computer and see if you experience the same scratchiness

No, there is not the same scratchiness when I use the computer.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhh the recent popping up of 580 threads makes me want to buy them, i found them on some other buy and sell websites selling for 220 with a cardas cable. Is it worth it?

hey tomi that sounds like a good deal to pounce on. if you dont mind could you please direct me to that site (you have my word that i wont buy the headphones if it's the only pair and you want it) as i have been looking for a good deal on some HD580 for WEEKS and recently was scammed by athome-products DOT com although they simply canceled the order and refunded me.

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 13
my guess is also that it is the recordings. Since getting the 580s, there is a lot of music i just don't listen to because these phones really let you know when u have a crap recording. Also, are you using a LOD between your ipod and amp?

Jul 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my guess is also that it is the recordings. Since getting the 580s, there is a lot of music i just don't listen to because these phones really let you know when u have a crap recording. Also, are you using a LOD between your ipod and amp?

Yes, a lower-end Qables LOD and it makes a huge difference, as expected.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 13
I think the problem is with your recordings, possibly your amplification. Have you tried plugging them into a receiver, or something with plenty of power?

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the problem is with your recordings, possibly your amplification. Have you tried plugging them into a receiver, or something with plenty of power?

No, but I'll do that right now.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried it through an Onkyo mini-component hp out and I hear the same thing on the same track. It's not as pronounced, but it's there: perhaps better described as a "crackle" on certain treblish frequencies. I do not hear the same thing from either source through the ER4S's and I would think I would if it were a question of the audio files, no?

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 13
I have the same problem both with 580 and 650.
At first I thought it is my phones problem.
But now I feel it is not.
At first I upgrade my audio cable from MAC to AMP (used to be a 5$ 3.5mm audio cable and not it is 50$ one- not high end still) then I found it is better.
But when I update the AMP's tube from org. DV 332's tube to WE 403B The problem just come to minor.
Now I am using the 5654 TUNG-SOL. WOW I do not have that problem at all.
I did the blind test with my GF and she give me clear answer same as me. So I think it is the problem about the AMP or other hardware.
Now I am waitting the DAC and wait to see what is going to happen.

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 13
Well, after much A/B'ing with numerous different sources and different recordings I have tentatively decided that the problem is the behavior of my HD580s with certain recordings. So, this conclusion really solves nothing: "It's both the recordings and the cans" and I'm really not closer to narrowing it down any further. I suppose it could be some of both. Regardless, I would like to publicly proclaim my great satisfaction with the HD580s. They are doing a great job of keeping my ears very happy until I take the upgrade plunge.

Tiger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back