zodiac154

New Head-Fier
So.. after using the mighty search option
I have come to a conclusion - I'm probably going to go
for the 580s because they are better than the 590s
not too much worse than the 600's and there
doesn't seem to be any problems/gripes with them
yes? plz correct me if im wrong

However, now i have this 300 ohms of impedance issue to deal with.
Being the n00b that i am, i have no clue whether i will
need to be getting an amp or not.

I will be using these mostly on my computer where I have
the Creative Audigy Platinum Sound Card with Klipsch Promedia 5.1 audio system

I will probably be plugging into my Promedia headphone jack.
Do you think this will be good ? the Klipsch 5.1 is probably
the most powerful computer audio system available right now

specs here:
http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?pat...id=398&line=&1

I believe the headphone section is listed as 200m@ max into
ohms to 450 mW into 50 ohms...
is this enough to "drive" the 580s? Should i contact Klispch?

If i will prolly need an amp - what do u guys recommend?
Would it be safe if i attempted to build one?

Thanks,

Zodiac

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 15
They will work just fine out of the promedia. Theres plenty of power there. That's exactly what I did when I first receive the HD600. Gaming was awsome.
But for serious music, you'll want to add a separate headamp and source.

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 15
thats a good question! i feel like i'm in the same boat as you.

waiting for hd-600's too come in
have klipsch promedias 4.1
SB live

but i have a feeling they might suggest another headphone for you.

Quote:

Would it be safe if i attempted to build one?

i'm a total noob at that stuff too! i would love to get into that stuff though with all my lurking and reading on the DIY amp stuff i don't really understand it. Just makes me wish i had already gotten into my EE major courses. (still my first year)
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 15
I've listened to a fair few pairs of headphones from the Klipsch headphone jack and it's really not that good. It most definately won't do the headphones justice, unlike a dedicated amp.

I found the promedias headphone-out to be quite noisy (hissy) and not particularly dynamic, it made several pairs of different headphones all sound very much the same, so running the HD580s from it would probably reduce the sound quality to that of much cheaper headphones.

I most definately recommend a "proper" headphone amp, otherwise you're likely to be hearing 1/4 of what the headphones are worth.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 15
Ya, using the klipsch really won't cut it for music, you need a dedicated headphone amp. You might be able to get away with it for games, but even then it won't be as engrosing.

As for whether or not you can build your own amp, I say go for it. The instructions are pretty clear and straitforward so it's not hard. I did it, and I have very little electronics background. So long as you can read a circuit, plus use a soldering iron and multimeter, you'd have no problem. Check some of the projects at headwize.com and pick one that suites your taste. Or ask around, and see what people recommend for your price range.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Curse my n00bnesS!
zbuddah, im a first year EE too. I take one look at those
schematics and I am utterly confused.

OK... Serious music - i'll want to add a separate headamp and source eh? Anyone have any suggestions for me...
What would be a "proper" headphone amp.
Are all headphones amp about the same or
is there a big difference between what u buy.

darkclouds speaks of a separate source?
is this referring to my computer? So even the possibly
best sound card available doesn't cut it?

Snufkins or anyone else: What if i plug in directly to my creative audigy platinum front panel? You think that might be clear?

Also... Is the sound quality between the HD600 and HD580s
that big of a difference? Does the quality difference really
make up for the price difference with or w/o amp

This will be my first time listening at music thru something
decent so I'm sure ill be more than happy either way. But
If im probably gonna want to upgrade later - i suppose
i might as well do it now.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 15
When I first received my Hd600, I thought they sounded fantastic through the Promedias 4.1 v.2. Then I added a Denon 370 thought wow, it can't get any better. But I kept on hanging around here and ended up with an MG HEAD DT. Thats' when I just lost it and went nuts. Now I've got more cans and amps than I really need. I think this holds true for most members here.

But really though, just use the 580 or 600 with the Promedias for the first month at least and see how you like them. In my opinion, they do a pretty decent job of pushing those cans. Then if you start to itch for upgrade, grab yourself something like the Denon 370 cd player and the MG Head (tube amp).

BE WARNED, once you get the itch for upgrades, you may be unable to stop.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 15
Ahhh.. I need to build myself an amp! I don't know a ton about electronics or anything but know quite a few things, enough to where I know I could build the thing. I just have to find the time to do it! Anyway, speaking about the sound quality of the HD580 and HD600's zodiac - there's not a huge difference or anything. The 600's DO sound better, but not that much better. The 580's are about 90-95% of the 600's in my opinion - so the 580's are definitely not a bad start!

I would doubt that plugging in directly to your LiveDrive would be an ideal situation. I have one (well, it's an older one... with the Sound Blaster Platinum series) and it just doesn't do any justice. I will say though that for games, the Sony MDR-V6 is a fine headphone directly out of that jack.

For serious music, separate source/separate amp. You could even build a great sounding portable system for not that much. Just get a hold of a CMoy and a good portable cd player with a line out and your set!

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 15
So basically in serious music you basically mean CDs
Hmm... played in a good CD player i suppose?
So even CD quality mp3s wont cut it? I thought a
computer was a CD player =P

What about the specific headphone jack on the soundcard itself? lol im such a cheapass.

-Zodiac

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 15
You might be better off getting some easier to drive headphones, that way you'll get better performance out of less money.

You really do need to consider an amp if you're going to be running high end headphones, otherwise like I said, you won't be hearing what you should be hearing.

The HD590s may even be a better choice as they're easier to drive and I think it's probably safe to say that unamped HD590s sound better than unamped HD580s.

But why not consider some lower impedance solutions, HD280pro, Beyer 250-80, even Philips HP890 etc?

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 15
Holy shmoleys
that MG head tube amp is 350?

are all the decent tube amps around there?
haha wont be doing that upgrade for a while =P
unless some money falls out of the sky....
er something...

is there any way to hook up a car amp for this stuff?
hahahaha thast prolly too crazy

Apr 19, 2002 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 15
Get the 580's. Your Promedia has enough power to drive them. Not as cleanly as a separate amp.

Computers make lousy CD players because of all the digital "Noise" inside them. For best sound you really need a separate source.

MP3 is NOT and never will be "CD Quality". Close, but no cigar. Best sound will come from a CD Player (CDP) and amp.

The primary thing is, don't get caught up in "I can't enjoy this until I upgrade." You can and will enjoy, and when you are ready, experience and finance, then you can upgrade.

Remember, this whole thing is about MUSIC.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 19, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
But really though, just use the 580 or 600 with the Promedias for the first month at least and see how you like them. In my opinion, they do a pretty decent job of pushing those cans. Then if you start to itch for upgrade...
BE WARNED, once you get the itch for upgrades, you may be unable to stop.

zodiac154,

This is excellent advice for a new user. Before you go spending $$$$ on equipment, just start off with the headphones and your current source. You can at least enjoy the headphones until you decide whether or not a dedicated headphone amp is for you. And when you do step up to a dedicated amp you will have a real appreciation for the much-improved sound quality from whatever headphones you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back