HD580's+Amp=Happiness?
Apr 26, 2002 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm very dissapointed with the performance of my pair of HD580s.

Ok, ive had my HD580's since last July and I still havent heard them with a good amp. Right now im listening to them on a low quality portable and a Denon DCM 370 headphone jack that valume wont even go down beyond -12. Im just about to go nuts from curiousity about its potential. Right now the headphones are just abysmal and Im thinking about selling them to buy a bunch of food from McDonalds.

The question is, how much difference will an amp make in the overall sound quality of the amp?

Thanks

Apr 26, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 10
HI:
I also have the 580s and use a total airhead wich is loud enough to get the 580s going real good. I am getting the supreme amp tomorrow. The 580s realy do need an amp to sound thier best. With an amp the cans have a fuller sound,better bass both mid and lower and softer highs. The midrange is more presant. The cans are still laid back at a nice volume but not at a high volume. At high volume they are in your face kind of sound. The reason I like the 580s is for thier laid back sound. So if you can, get a amp. I find that the amp dont have to be a high end one. Almost any portable amp will do just fine. If you get one please post how you like it and what is now different with the sound. Good luck.

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, umm, my guess would be (in headphone mathematics):

HD-580 + (a) = HAPPY TIME

ONLY when 'a' equals "a good amp."

YOU WILL NOT HAVE HAPPY TIME when 'a' equals "sucky receiver" or "PCDP" or "toilet" or "trash can" or "crazy donkey-horse."
tongue.gif

Well, just a little rudimentary headphone algebra there for you. Yay!
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 10
My advice: Try and find the most high end headphone amp you can have and plug that sucker in. Most likely you'll find a whole new sense of bliss you never knew before......

....and then from that slowly work your way up to that level. Maybe start out on an airhead or creek? Or xcans? Then work up to Corda HA-1 and MG Head........and maybe soon maxed out home? And then Melos?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Either way I think you will be most satisfied w/ the sound. If not - then the Senns aren't for you. Maybe Grados? Don't know what kind of music you listen to.

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Senns sound good out of anything. You can still get happy time, just not nearly as enjoyable with an amp.

I Second the motion.
smily_headphones1.gif
I recently got a pair of 280 PRo's and i love them. ok im off to write the mini review/commentary that I promised.

Apr 26, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 10
Mating the 580's with a suitable amp is a magical thing... assuming your source is at least "pretty good".

When I first bought my 580's, I thought they sounded very nice directly out of my SB Live. My, how things have changed for the better!

Apr 27, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Senns sound good out of anything. You can still get happy time, just not nearly as enjoyable with an amp.

Have to disagree. The HD580 don't sound good at all, IMO, out of a portable CDP or a crappy headphone jack
frown.gif
I'd rather spend my money on a pair of KSC-35 and have $150 left over.

Apr 27, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 10
I guess it's all relative. The 580's sound better than 90% of all the other headphones on the market regardless of what amp you use. They just get better if you give them proper amplification. That being said, I also agree with MacDef that knowing how good they CAN sound with the right amp, I too, would choose to get a pair of KSC-35's and save all that other money if I didn't intend to get a good amplifier for the 580's. They're worth it.

There are other headphones which I feel are even MORE worthy of a good amplifier, but we won't go there now, since we're talking about the 580's
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Apr 27, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
The 580's sound better than 90% of all the other headphones on the market regardless of what amp you use.

Damn skippy! They are superior cans, and also reflect the quality of the rest of your system... Better source/amp, better sound. 'Nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back