HD580 vs. HD650
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
I don't have finely tuned audiophile sensitivities (i.e. I wouldn't know a recessed upper-mid if it bit me in the arse.) - but I have spent a lot of time with these phones. 580s for 12 years with the 650s being my main phones for the last year.

The 580s don't sound as "dark" as the 650s. They have a greater sense of air that can be appealing but I find the top end of the 650s to be liquid smooth and refined. There's actually no relative loss of high frequency response compared to the 580s; I think the "air" of the 580s is more an artifact of their design than an accurate reproduction of what's been recorded - which is better rendererd by the 650s.

There's definitely lower and cleaner bass with 650s. Something a reggae fan should consider.
icon10.gif

The 650s are more detailed; instruments, especially acoustic, sound more true-to-life to me.

That said, both phones are obviously from the same "sound family"; if you're happy with the overally presentation of the 650s you'd probably be OK with the 580s.

So, yeah, I think the 650s are a definite improvement over the 580s and they were a worthwhile investment for me - but I'd already gotten more than 10 years use of my 580s when I upgraded. It's not clear just what you're shooting for - the ability to buy an amp sooner rather than later, maybe? Wondering if 580s with a good amp would be better than 650s without?

Best way for you to make your decision is to listen to some 580s at a local dealer, if possible. Or even order a set from another dealer with a return policy and send one of the phones back after you've decided. It could well be worth a few bucks in shipping costs to feel like you've spent your money wisely.

Good luck!
Beau

you don't have to be an audiphile to notice the difference....just listen to one of them long enough..say a year and then switch to the other and you will know....

how do you know porche is good..cuz you got one and you drove it for 3 years....and when you try to drive a ford 500..you know its a POS
very_evil_smiley.gif

disclaimer: I don't got no porche or ford...LOL

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
This may be too late but don't listen to all the HD650 haters.

I'm am hardly a hater. The 650 may well be the best dynamic headphone in the world. However everything I said has already transpired in this thread.

People above me have said that the 650 is more true to reality and accurate, but also more "colored" than the 580. If this is an acceptable combination then we may as well stop talking about audio because the terminology = nothing.

Mar 18, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
People above me have said that the 650 is more true to reality and accurate, but also more "colored" than the 580. If this is an acceptable combination then we may as well stop talking about audio because the terminology = nothing.

IMO, HD580 is more colored especially in the upper mids/lower treble. There's a definate 'glare' there that makes vocals sound wrong, the graphs back me up on this. Main reason I sold it. HD650 is much more real.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
IMO, HD580 is more colored especially in the upper mids/lower treble. There's a definate 'glare' there that makes vocals sound wrong, the graphs back me up on this. Main reason I sold it. HD650 is much more real.

How so? It trades a top end coloration for a low end one.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #35 of 36
skyline889,
You misunderstood my post or possibly I didn't make it clear.
I said if he was going to use the 650's without an amp as compared to the 580's with an amp, the 580's would be better.
I then stated I wasn't qualified to compare the two when they were both amped the same. I don't have enough listening exp. with the 650's to make that comparison.
I was in no way putting the 650's down.
Sorry for the confusion.
Best....Jim

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
How so? It trades a top end coloration for a low end one.

Depends on to which you're more sensitive. Also the HD 580's bass isn't exactly «uncolored» as well. Finally the HD 650's greater refinement and higher resolution is something to be considered when realism and naturalness is desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back