HD580+Clou Blue + [which amp]?
Nov 21, 2002 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sonicthewebhog

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to the head-fi game, but ever since being sucked in I have upgraded from V6s to HP890s to now 580s with clou blue. I also have the v3 supermini, and when those were paired with the 890s, music was beautiful. However, when using my most recent acquisition with the infamous small wonder I became rather dissatisfied with its sound. I began to get bass distortion at relatively low volumes, which I never heard with the 890s. Perhaps it may be the batteries, since my v3 is now zapped clean, but I do believe that a new amp will have better chemistry with my 580s and clous. Any recommendations? I know many of you will proffer meta 42s as a viable choice, and if you do, can you please list components I should select? I really want these 580s to sing like a bird, currently theyve been broken in for 30 hrs and going on more. The clou blues were bought second hand and are already broken in, and im anxious to hear what a 580 at its full or near full potential can do! Help a newbeezer out and gimme some suggestions!

My current source is a Sony D-121 (i know, i know hold off on the snickers) but I am soon upgrading to a Sony DVP-NS500V. Kimbers are also on my 'go broke' list. Thanks and farewell from southern californnniiiiaaaa.

John

Nov 21, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 8
The HD580 needs a fair amount of voltage at higher listening levels, and you're not going to get that from 3 AAA batteries. Since portability is not an issue, you don't have to worry about batteries and can go with a META42 or something that is set up to run from a much higher voltage supply. I haven't had any issue with a META at 10 volts with the 580's, but why not go with 18v or more and know there won't be a problem.

Nov 22, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Look what I have underneath.
biggrin.gif
Quite seriously, the meta42 > clou blues makes a great system. The detail in the highs is exquisite, and the bass really has punch to it. Try it, you'll like it!

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Go tubes! Pay a little more and get a MG-Head OTL. Its a phenominal little amp.

Nov 22, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 8
...or tube roll a second-hand X-Can
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 8
[evil laugh, evil grin]

[thanks servinginecuador!!!]

Wow, that giddy feeling you get when you have a nice fat new toy is simplyyyyy astounding. Needless to say, the Sonic Adventure pounds the supermini into the ground, stands over the supermini's shattered pieces, and emits a gutteral cry of victory. I know its an unfair comparison but the fixup was the only amp I owned previously :-D! My HD580s + clou blue shine like a brand spankin new ferrari! The build quality of the sonic is impeccable. None of those dinky serpac enclosures or other smallish stuff. Heavy duty metal here, seems like you can drop an A bomb on it and itll survive
biggrin.gif
...well maybe not an atom bomb but you get the message! Tuberolling it seems quite simple (once again a thank you to doug) and I cant wait to try it out but until now, I am 2/3 complete, just need to upgrade my source and my wallet hopes I am done!!! Without further ado....back to the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards from hifi nirvana

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back