HD580 & Cardas vs HD600 & Cardas
Nov 8, 2002 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I was busy looking at HeadRooms website today, when I noticed that the Cardas cable was shown as an accesory for the HD600 but NOT for the HD580... the other Clou Jaspis was in place of the Cardas...

Well, I obviously have the HD580 and Cardas, and I think its pretty damned amazing ~ but obviously the guys at HeadRoom know what they're doing also... don't they?!

So... the question is... the minimal difference between the two headphones... is it amplified / made more apparent, by using the Cardas cable with the HD600... when compared against the HD580 in the same position??

(Basically... is it worth me buying an HD600 now I have the Cardas??)

Nov 8, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 15
I have a HD600 that mostly lives in it's box. I've just haggled a price for an amp for it so it might get more use? Anyhow, you can try it if the connectors are the same I suppose.

Nov 8, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Anyhow, you can try it if the connectors are the same I suppose.

The connectors are identical Bangraman...

I am strongly thinking about going to Ask Electronics early in December, and picking up a pair for £120... But if they sound exactly (or near as) the same as my current HD580s i'll be a little disappointed...

Thanks for the offer of an A/B... but, I think i'd really need to do it at home, with my setup... I've come to realise that nothing else i've ever heard comes up to the synergy of the CD Player / Amp / H'phones...
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 15
Duncan, if you ever do purchase a HD600 or gets to audition and AB the two.. PLEASE post a quick review.. i have the same setup and would be very interested in your opinion.
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 15
I have HD580 and HD600 headphones and the Cardas cable. After doing some pretty thorough tests, I can say that the drivers are indeed the same, but the different housings do make a noticable difference in the sound. The HD600s are a lot less "muddy" sounding and everything sounds a bit cleaner. Not a huge difference, but I'm glad that I made the upgrade.

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 15
Duncan,
I can't say anything about the Cardas upgrade, but the clou red shows that the Senn HD-600 is clearly better than the HD-580 with the stock cable. The bass goes lower, while the high improve a bit. The midrange remains untouched. But, I have to deal with the size and a stiffness of the cable.

Purk

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Duncan,
I can't say anything about the Cardas upgrade, but the clou red shows that the Senn HD-600 is clearly better than the HD-580 with the stock cable. The bass goes lower, while the high improve a bit. The midrange remains untouched. But, I have to deal with the size and a stiffness of the cable.

Purk

hell yeah, no one is going to dispute that!! cept the cable non-believers but than they'd never dare to try.

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 15
Taoster,

I really hope Sennheiser will come out with a better cable in the future. It is really a pain to see both the HD-580 and HD-600 underperform with their stock cable. Too much sound quality is left to be desired. Or just borrow the 6N-OFC cable from Audio-Technica camp!!!

Purk

Nov 9, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 15
Purk,

i know atleast 3 companies who wouldnt like to see that happen.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish sennheiser released a few more phones.. not quite as much as Audio-Technica but atleast a few to keep the head-fier geeks on our toes.

Taoster

Nov 9, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 15
Holy Moly!

I'm so totally tempted to get a second Cardas cable... just plugged mine into my HD565s ~ Wow!!

A different presentation to that of the HD580s... slightly punchier... with a richer midrange... and more forward... totally contrasting
wink.gif

Must not spend any more money.............
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Oddly, I haven't tried the HD600 with the standard cables. I bought them with the Cardas, plugged them in straight away and since they sounded pretty astounding I haven't been tempted to switch for the regular cable.

It's that bad is it? Seems like pretty cheapskate of Sennheiser to cripple a perfectly good phone with inferior cables! Noone else does that to my knowledge...?

Nov 10, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
It's that bad is it? Seems like pretty cheapskate of Sennheiser to cripple a perfectly good phone with inferior cables! Noone else does that to my knowledge...?

I actually think it is pretty swee that they spent the extra money to make a pair of headphones that has an interchangable cord. If they had something like the Cardas as their stock cable they'd be $600 MSRP.

Nov 10, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Duncan -

The Sennheiser 535/545/565 line have the same cable connectors as the 580/600's?

Hmmmmmm (thinking, thinking, thinking....)

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Duncan -

The Sennheiser 535/545/565 line have the same cable connectors as the 580/600's?

Hmmmmmm (thinking, thinking, thinking....)

smily_headphones1.gif

They sure do jpelg
smily_headphones1.gif

What are you thinking?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back