HD580 + amp for under $200?
Jun 23, 2005 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people,

I've asked about headphones several times but have always changed my mind. I've got a pair of Xd200s and I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm wondering is it possible to get the above mentioned pair for under $200? I was considering a HD600 at one stage, but I don't have an amp, so I'm wondering maybe a HD580 combo with an amp would do me better?

This will be a gift to myself if I do well in exams, so does anybody think this is possible and what type of amp should I get?

Thanks people

And my listening preferences are sort of diverse, with some pop, some instrumental, but what strikes me most are female vocals.

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 22
I bought HD 580's on e-bay three months ago for about $160 shipped to the US and got the PA2V2 shipped to the US for $60 so that is pretty close to $200 and I have since seen the HD 580's even cheaper.

Pocket Amp 2

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

I like this combo. It sounds good though I should say that these are my first high end phones and first headphone amplifier so I have nothing else to compare them to.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 22
Last time I checked the HD580s refurbished were about $110-120, if you don't mind.
icon10.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 22
Yea I was considering getting a pair of HD580's in the next few weeks depending on how I go in school (if I do well it's easier for my parents to digest the money I'll be spending). But because I'm in Australia buying refurbs will be out of the question and most likely it will be through the FS forum. But I'm not sure about the amp, I'm not sure about which amp to choose since each amp has its own ups and downs, and price being a key decider for me.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
I bought HD 580's on e-bay three months ago for about $160 shipped to the US and got the PA2V2 shipped to the US for $60 so that is pretty close to $200 and I have since seen the HD 580's even cheaper.

Yes, I believe the above can be accomplished for USD 200 with a little searching.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 22
Well, in an idea world lets say you find a set of used 580's in the $120 range. That leaves $80 for an amp which doens't leave you with a ton of chioces, but nonetheless some good ones. Unfortunately my experience is limited to only the DIY amps (cmoy, mint, pimeta, etc.) but there is this thread in the amplification forum that lists most (if not all) the portable amps that you could choose from. Pick a few from that list that fit your budget and then use the search feature to find reviews, opinions and so on. In the end your ears are your own and what sounds great to me might sound like poop to you so reading can get you only so far. At some point you've just got to bite the bullet and buy something and see if you like it. You might also try to stretch your dollar a bit further by going with a used amp as well.

Best of luck with exams, I don't miss tests one bit!

Nate

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 22
If you're worried about not spending too much, I'd say to just get the HD-580s, and worry about an amp later. As long as the sound signature of them is for you, and you don't mind the openness, they are an awesome deal, and you can't go wrong.
600smile.gif

I'd reccomend trying them on various sources/ amps, if possible, to see what kind of sound improvement you can expect by adding an amp.

For me, my HD600s were a huge (awesome!) change from what I had listened to before (grados sr-80s, which were still good, and cheaper worse headphones), however I find amps pretty subtle, ie, I can forget what sort of source or amp I am listening to. However, many here find amps to give quite a drastic improvement.

If you could try the 580s say on a vintage reciever, if you know someone with one, or even one connected to a vinyl system, it might give you an idea what sort of differences the source / amp can give to the sound.

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 22
Yea that seems like a wise decision, see how I go with the HD580 first, or I can splurge and pick up a used HD600, hahah.....my wallet is going to feel very light soon....not that it was heavy in the first place.

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 22
Fair enough.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back