HD580/600 -proper amplification
Jul 26, 2002 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

johanneswolfgang

New Head-Fier
I own a Denon Cassette Deck (model DR-M10), and I don't have a dedicated amplifier for the HD580s that I've ordered. I have heard that some home systems power the HD580s well, but I was wondering if I would be missing a lot without a dedicated amp, like the JMT Cmoy that I have been interested in. Would it be worth buying a dedicated amp with the HD580s or will a Denon Deck like mine do the job well enough?

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Would it be worth buying a dedicated amp with the HD580s or will a Denon Deck like mine do the job well enough?

There is no hard and fast rule regarding a dedicated amp, but chances are that there will be an audible improvement over the Denon. Although the Denon may be able to drive the Senns to satisfactorily loud levels, it's the quality of the amplification that is in question.
If you are considering getting an amp from JMT, you may want to speak to him about a META42. It's a bit more money than a straight cmoy, but, to my ears at least, it's money well spent.
Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 6
HI: When I plug my 580s into my stereo system headphone jack it sounds great. It a sony 500 watt 5.1 with a good headphone jack. I also have a supreme amp and when I use my cd deck with ics to amp and ics from stereo tape out to my supreme amp it sounds great but this set up cost about 600.00 and I would sell this set up and just use my stereo amp headphone jack and be very happy.

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 6
johanneswolfgang,

I have a Denon DRM-540 cassette deck, and... if yours is anything like mine you'll NEED an external amp of some description, the sound of the Denons headphone out (in my case) is pretty good BUT, it does NOT have a volume control, so unless you don't record anywhere near the red... you'll find it unbearably loud (and this coming from Head-Fi's most prominent volume abuser
wink.gif
)!!

I personally second Joelongwoods suggestion of a META42, its the first amp that i've had that has made the HD580s truly (long-term) listenable to my ears... although the CHA47 / CMoy are also pretty darned good amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 6
I have the HD600's that I listen too at home through a TAH. This combination is by far better than any headphone setup I had listened to before. I then got a Little loaner and was pleasantly surprised at how the 600s had even more to give. A short time later I listened to them at the Headroom show with a variety of cable mods and high end amps. They were even better.

What I am trying to say is that they are listenable right out of the source's jack in most cases but it is like using a throughbred horse to pull a wagon. It works but you never see what the horse can do. In the end it depends on your ears and budget. The headphones have great capacity if you can afford to unleash it.

Jul 27, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 6
As a general rule, I've found that the headphone outputs on source componenets (e.g. CD players, tape players, dvd players) as a whole are worse than those on receivers and integrated amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back