HD570's w/ X-Can V2
May 13, 2003 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought an X-Can V2 on Ebay. I am still waiting for it to arrive. I also went ahead and ordered a matched pair of Sovtek 6922's since there seems to be a bad vibe surrounding the stock valves. I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD570's. I bought them a year ago without any research. They sound rather dull. I recently discovered the headphone amp world and decided to buy one. Here's my setup:

Carver CT-7 PreAmp/Tuner
Carver SD/A 360 CD player
Carver C-500 Amp
Chicago Speakerworks Prototypes (all Dynaudio drivers)

I listen to all sorts of music (favorites are Steely Dan, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Tool, Marillion, Rickie Lee Jones, King Crimson)

The amp is on its way so I haven't yet heard the X-Can / 570 combo. I realize sound can be a very personal but I'm interested to hear anyone's comments/advice.

May 13, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Unfortunately I don't think Sennheiser HD 570 sounds that good with a Musical Fidelity X-can V2. The reason for that is that HD 570 has very limited bass response, and X-can is a bit lean/bright/thin sounding as well. Of course you can tweak the X-can sound by replacing the tubes, but the basic sound characteristics is pretty much the same.

I have tried Ruby Tubes E88CC (matched Sovtek E88CC in Germany by Ruby Tubes), Mullard E88CC and a pair of NOS Philips E188CC SQ. They all sound much better than the stock tubes, but the basic X-can sound is still the same. The soundstage opens up and bass response is better. Sennheiser HD 580 or HD 600 would certainly sound a lot better with X-can V2, since they have a more full-bodied sound with a slightly exaggerated bass response.

May 13, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 6
yep, I agree too. I used to own a pair of HD570s and so did a friend with a X-Cans V2.

With the tubes replaced for Mullard E88CC in the X-can the Hd-570s could not handle the detail brought by the new tubes and were very bright. I could not really listen to them for lengthy periods.

I have since then sold my HD570s and now have Grado sr-125s.

May 14, 2003 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 6
You'll definitely appreciate it.. ive a hd580 with my x-can v2 and jazz recordings sound immaculate with it, its also amazing with most ambient electronica and well-produced rock and hip-hop (brings new life to pearl jam and floyd)... neither the 580 or the x-can take kindly to poor recordings or productions tho, and you may find that some recordings can sound rather lifeless and dull.

[edit] thats with stock tubes btw.. also I haven't re-listened since I upgraded my interconnects from next to bog-standard cable.

May 15, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 6
My HD600's and Sovteks should be in tomorrow. Unfortunately the person I bought the X-Can from is in Canada (no offense to Canada). If I'm lucky the money order will reach him tomorrow. I have no idea how long it will take to ship. It will be interesting to hear how the 600's will sound without an amp. Also, I just realized I ordered a British amp from Canada with Russian valves to be used with German headphones made in Ireland! What a small world.

p.s. I can't believe I left out Pink Floyd! The Wall is on my top 10, maybe even 5!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back