HD555s versus others in price range?
Oct 31, 2004 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

The Baron

New Head-Fier
So, my pair of HD570s (I got them for free, so HD570 bashing is unnecessary
tongue.gif
) died after several years (right channel went kaput, and they're definitely out of warranty). I was thinking about replacing them with HD555s, as they seem to be pretty highly regarded for a ~$125 pair of headphones, but I'm not exactly familiar with the headphone market.

Considering I listen to just about anything (mainly rock, old school rap, and some classical), would the HD555s be the best value for my money, or is there some alternate that is clearly of higher quality?

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 17
I like and own HD555 myself. I think It is a great pair of headphones all around at that price range regardless of whatever other people said. I haven't use it that much lately though.

I said that because I make a prediction that someone will come in and say get alessandro MS1 instead.
600smile.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 17
Although I have never personally listened to them, the HD555s are fairly nice headphones for $110-$120. (Be sure to burn them in before passing judgment! According to these forums, they are initially very lifeless without burn in).

However, I would also consider the Alessandro MS-1s for $99 as an alternative. They won't project the same soundstage as the HD555s, but they will offer a more impactful performance comparable to the Grado SR125, a $150 headphone.

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

is there some alternate that is clearly of higher quality?

No. And if you've lived with the HD570 for several years, you should slip into the Senn sound again just fine. I say get those HD555. They're good all-rounders, though they don't stand out much.

The MS-1s are not all-rounders.

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
They are good headphones, no?
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not saying that it's a bad phone. If it's anything like SR125 (or better like people claimed), it's an excellent/no brainer buy. I said that because a lot of replies seem to recommend MS1 lately. It seems like a trend.

Not everyone appreciate Grado/alessandro headphones though. i let couple friends tried SR125, end up like HD555 better. Maybe because of the
basshead.gif
factor.

Oct 31, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 17
2 things i liked about my HD570's were the lighter weight and the larger size of the ear cups.

other than that, the HD555's are a great upgrade (made the same upgrade).

-vasu

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Baron
So, my pair of HD570s (I got them for free, so HD570 bashing is unnecessary
tongue.gif
) died after several years (right channel went kaput, and they're definitely out of warranty). I was thinking about replacing them with HD555s, as they seem to be pretty highly regarded for a ~$125 pair of headphones, but I'm not exactly familiar with the headphone market.

Considering I listen to just about anything (mainly rock, old school rap, and some classical), would the HD555s be the best value for my money, or is there some alternate that is clearly of higher quality?

Excuse me for off-topic...
Are you The Baron at b3d?

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplelife
I like and own HD555 myself. I think It is a great pair of headphones all around at that price range regardless of whatever other people said. I haven't use it that much lately though.

I said that because I make a prediction that someone will come in and say get alessandro MS1 instead.
600smile.gif

Definitely the alessandro ms1
icon10.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 17
The 555s are very comfortable, another good thing to mention.

They run fine out of a regular cd player or computer source, they sound good all across the sound spectrum (there is no particular type of music it really suffers in - accept for classical music possibly because of its slightly-forward presentation), and their soundstage is great.

Some people get bored with this, however, and want variety. If you for some reason get bored with the headphones (I did with my HD595s) try getting a nice tube amp for it first like a Wooaudio1 or an MG Head - it brings the listening experience very high, and in a different direction.

Hope this helps!
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back