HD555 vs. ATH-AD700... Any opinions? AD700 users?
Mar 25, 2006 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

scubadiver329

New Head-Fier
I posted yesterday asking for opinions for choosing between the HD555 and HD595. Since I'm on a bit of a budget and I'm going unamped, I decided to go with the HD555's. However, the ATH-AD700 came up in the discussion (lucky me
rolleyes.gif
). Now, since there is limited info on the ATH-AD700's out there, I can't make a good, informed decision between the HD555 and ATH-AD700.

So, whadya think? I mainly use an iPod, unamped at my desk at home. I don't really feel for the Grado sound (was able to test out a friend's), and comfort is very important to me. Also (as a side question), how is the build quality between the two? Plastic vs. magnesium, I guess the ATH-AD700's would win that one.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 8
the hd555's are the more "all-round" headphones, they are capable of producing most types of music fairly well for its price. The AD700's in comparison can "wow" you for certain types of music, as it places a greater emphasis on treble. After listening to the AD700's, the HD555 will sound extremely warm and have less treble detail. HOWEVER, it's really easy to find music that will just suck for the AD700's. The AD700's have a much weaker bass and pop music sounds extremely awful with them. Even classical or some jazz can sound very weird at times as it has a special balance. Since you plan to use them without an amp, I'd suggest the HD555's as they sound much more controlled without an amp. An amp can fix the deficiencies of AD700, then again, they are only good for certain types of music. Comfort wise, I think the AD700's are more comfotable since they have the proprietary 3D wings design by AT. However, the circular earcups may feel a bit smaller if you have huge ears.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 8
I sold my 555's a year ago, didn't think it was possible to have less bass than the HD-555.
Mid bass - ok; but low bass - nothing at all, notta, even with an eq set +12db. I'm a classical/jazz/acoustic guy, not a basshead at all.

I recently ordered the AD700 for a 2nd set of cans. Will post findings in a few days. My comparisons with the 555's will be from memory.

There is a review of the AD700's that says that they beat both the 555's and the 595's. I sense some bias on the part of the reviewer, but he does make a strong case for the AD700. http://www.headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10

We'll see.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Oops, double post.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
I recently ordered the AD700 for a 2nd set of cans. Will post findings in a few days. My comparisons with the 555's will be from memory.

There is a review of the AD700's that says that they beat both the 555's and the 595's. I sense some bias on the part of the reviewer, but he does make a strong case for the AD700. http://www.headphones.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10

Great! I look forward to your comparison (would you link your comparison within this thread so I'd be able to see it? I'm gonna be away for about a week soon, and I don't want to miss it!
biggrin.gif
)

Also, I've seen only a few true reviews of the AD700's, one from that site and one from Good Gear Guide. Herdphonic seems very biased to me (and to many others here). So, naturally, I'm searching for other reviews/comparisons.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! And and any others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back