HD555 vs AD700 at Current Prices
Jul 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

crazzyeddie

New Head-Fier
I know there are multiple other threads debating these two headphones, but the current Sennheiser rebate is making things difficult for me.

I'm primarily interested in using these headphones for gaming and music. Mainly important to me is the ability to determine where people are in games relying simply on sound.

The HD555's are about $70 after the current rebate, while the AD700's are about $105. If both were priced around $100, I think I would pick the AD700's based on experiences I've read here, but given these prices, which pair do you think are the best for the money?

I have also heard the HD555's have an opening on the rear of the headphones, is this a large opening or not? Does it bother most people, or does it give a better sound experience (in a quiet room)? What about the HD700's?

Lastly, these are replacing my (almost) 3 year old Bose Triports. Do you think these headphones will give better sound and have roughly the same fit?

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 10
With the rebate, I'd go for the Sennheiser pair. In fact, that's exactly how much I paid for my HD-555! (used, of course)

The HD-555 has a huge opening on the back, as it's meant to be totally open-aire. If anybody's in the same room as you, it's going to bother them. They're private listening indoor headphones, no buts about it. On the Audio-Technica side, A indicates a closed headphone, while AD indicates an open model, I think. Not totally sure.

After 3 years with Triports, you're used to the Bose sound, but you'll get accustomed to your new sound, be it AT or Sennheiser, and after you do, I believe that you'll consider the new sound to be much better.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 10
depends what you want out of the headphones.

The AD700 has better SQ but lacks bass and has fantastic soundstage and incredibly comfortable. The Audio Technica AD series = some, if not, the most comfortable headphone series out there.
The 555 got more bass but is is less comfortable, less soundstage and lower SQ.

Get the AD700 unless you want bass.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 10
When's your next upgrade? If soon go for senn. If not ad700 is the way to go.

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Hello,

I saw in your signature that you've both heard the Sennheiser HD 595 and the Audio-Technica AD700.
Which do you like best for electronic music?
My current HD 435 has too much bass, but I'm a bit concerned the AD700 will have too little.

Kind regards,
Stijn

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 10
The AD700 is pretty bass-less when driven by a low-powered source such as a portable player or a computer sound card. There is a noticeable increase in low-end response when driven by a dedicated headamp. I don't know if that's enough of an increase for some, though. The difference is noticeable but subtle.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 10
So after alot of consideration, I think I've decided on the A700s. This is mainly because I've decided I need closed headphones for the added bass response and noise cancelation.

The biggest turnoff of the HD555s is the fact that you need an adapter to use a standard 1/4" headphone plug, which rules out practical use on my iPod, although most said they have good bass response and the price is definitely reasonable ($70 after MIR).

I ended up choosing the A700's because of the rave reviews for both the AD700 and A700 on multiple sites. The A700 will end up costing me about $130, but hopefully it will be worth it.

I'm not buying for a few more days, so if anyone would like to try to comment on some things I may have missed, please contribute!

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 10
even the a900 is not better than the senns sonically so a700 might be a step down from the hd555. of course, its all about personal taste

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Just an update, I received my A700's today.

They are quite a bit different than the Bose "Around Ear" headphones (previously called Bose Triports) I'm used to. I was actually ready to return my A700's at first, but after listening closely, I'm able to really understand what people are talking about around these forums...

First, the Bose have a much tighter fit and filter out noise much better than the A700's. I much prefer that fit, but nothing I can do about that...

Secondly, the Bose have much better mid- and low-range reproduction. Everything sounds more intense, etc... probably the goal of Bose, since thats how many people define "good" sound.

Despite that, the A700's are outrageously better sounding! I now finally understand what people mean when they say "soundstage." These headphones make you feel like stuff is happening around you, not just being fed into your ears. Far and away better than the Bose.

My only complaint is that even with the Bass Booster on, the A700's don't have the "kick" I'm used to, and I would prefer the tighter "airtight" fit that my Bose had, but otherwise I'm very happy with my purchase.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back