HD555 Stress Cracks
Jul 29, 2010 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vikaman

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I bought my HD555s almost 5 months ago, and I am worried to notice cracks on the bridge of the phones (the place that connects the headband to the speakers).

Where the red ring is:

Though the stress cracks are fairly small, I plan to keep these headphones for a while (atleast a year), and I am worried they will literally split wide open.

What is the best course of action of this? Epoxy resin?

Cheers,
Worried Newbie.

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 14
You can generally get Sennheiser to replace them I believe, don't quote me on that though. Though this is a common issue with this model and FWIR only affects the cosmetics of the can and not its functionality.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 14
I've had those cracks for months on mine.  I wouldn't be too concerned about them.  Like NapalmK said, it's just cosmetic damage that--I want to believe--comes from regular wear and tear.  I was freaked out for awhile when I first saw the cracks on mine because I handle my audio gear very carefully.  There was a short time in which I tried to kill everyone who had touched them who wasn't me.  True story.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
...and these are the 'phones I was planning on getting. screw!

I would still get them.  You can get them for a fantastic price--sometimes less than $100.  After doing the adhesive foam mod (seriously takes only five minutes and totally reversible) and having owned them for almost two years, I love these things.  The crack means nothing and if it bothers you, buy through a certified dealer so you can get warranty work if you so desire.  Personally, I'm not worried.

@ Vikaman - You might want to start by contacting Amazon...?  I don't know if Sennheiser will honor a warranty through Amazon, though, so you may want to contact Sennheiser first.  I have no experience with calling their support lines, so I really can't predict any more than this.  Sorry.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Hmm, the foam mod that make them sound like the HD595? Oh, BTW would a DAC be beneficial for these?

Yes, that specific foam mod.  I think there's one other one that isn't reversible.  You'd have to look it up, though.  It changes the sound signature in a different way than the mod I did (the "555 to 595" mod).

I used my 555's for two-thirds of my time with them simply connected to my X-Fi Professional and enjoyed their sound.  However, last month I purchased a Nuforce uDAC and I've found that I enjoy these phones even more.  I don't have the most discerning ear, but the biggest change I noticed in my 555's paired with the uDAC is a wider soundstage and perhaps, on a minor level, increased detail and separation.  But like I said, I listened to them for over a year straight off my X-Fi and enjoyed them.  I have no idea how they would sound plugged right into an MP3 player or laptop headphone out port.

Edit:

Yikes, this has became hugely derailed.  Sorry to take your original topic off on a tangent, OP.  I'll shut up now.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 14

No problem guys, actually I want to encourage this discussion, because I am really new to the headphone thing I would love to know more.I might contact Sennheiser when I get back.. I was planning on getting an iBasso D2 to boost myHD555's sound for both my iPod and my laptop. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #12 of 14
Hmm interesting. I don't know, I gave up on my HD 555 recently and opted for an upgrade to the HD 6xx series. I think the HD 555 are the perfect example of limits. I don't feel that they are going to get any better than what they sound through a decent 200 - 300 dollar amp. Any more investing on amps and dacs will only result in a subtle change in sound quality imo. It's a great set of headphones, but... there is always something better.

Anyways.

+1 for the iBasso D2! I'm sure it'll sound great. Let me know what you think of them with the HD 555s.
dt880smile.png

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 14
I got a crack on one side after a month and they were never stretched or dropped. If the crack gets too big Ill probably just paint the phones black, which I want to do anyhow...

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 14
My HD-595's had a similar problem (small cracks in the side plastic). Unless you abuse your cans, they should last a while. IMHO, it has to do with the stress from the 'average' construction of the cans. It's almost unavoidable unless you never use them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back