HD555 or Sony7506?
Aug 24, 2007 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Marione1

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I extensively use my IBM notebook (integrated audio card) to watch movies and I want to spend around 100$ for a new headphone. I’ve read several reviews and now I’ve to choose between the hd555 and Sony7506. What do you suggest?
The first seems to be more comfortable but it has higher impedance; consequently I’m dubious about its performance on a notebook.

Thanks for the help
Davide

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and the v6 is no match in sound quality against the 555

Yes -- it's better!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 16
I had a pair of HD555s and they are some great cans for using without a dedicated headphone amp. Also, very comfortable!

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the V6 and 7506 are pretty much identical, but the V6 tends to run $30 cheaper.

What! WHAT!! Pretty Much Identical!? Waddaya call about 3 microns of gold flashing on the plug and a much nicer looking gray sticker that says "Professional" on it!! That's easily worth another thirty bucks. Dont'cha think?

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually; I'm really laughing at myself!
tongue.gif

I've seen both the V6 and the 7506, and hey; all my phones have gold plated plugs, and the gray sticker IS a lot nicer looking in my estimation than the red one, so darn it anyway, I'd probably spring for the extra thirty bucks for that silly little gray and gold sticker!

...oh yeah; and about three microns of gold flashing.
frown.gif

icon10.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marione1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
I extensively use my IBM notebook (integrated audio card) to watch movies and I want to spend around 100$ for a new headphone. I’ve read several reviews and now I’ve to choose between the hd555 and Sony7506. What do you suggest?
The first seems to be more comfortable but it has higher impedance; consequently I’m dubious about its performance on a notebook.

Thanks for the help
Davide

I have not heard the Sony but if you need closed cans, choose the 7506 or V6. However, if not needing isolation, I would choose the open HD555 and not give the Sonys a second thought. I'm sure the 7506 or V6 would perform better for pro monitoring since that's what they're designed to do. However, IMO the HD555 is a great choice for watching movies and was easy to drive with my onboard sound card. What struck me most about the HD555 when I had it was its balanced, natural presentation, and how well it handled dialogue in movies as compared to my other cans. Although the HD555 won't be everyone's preferred type of sound, it just sounded "right" to me.

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 16
The 7506 IIRC, also has a better driver matching as ti s intended fro professional studio use, the V6 is considered by many like the commercial version, but this has never been admited by any Sony rep, nor had been fully proved by anybody, see Ultrasone and how different they sound from each other...and all uses the same drivers...and some of them the same enclosures...

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 16
I'll gladly buy into that description of the 7506! The main draw for me is to get an extremely tough set of cans that sounds remotely similar to my MS-1 and MS2i so my kids can have something that they will enjoy, and keep their grubby paws offa my cans, and also give me something closed that I can stick my ears between when the kids get too noisy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back