HD555 or MS-1
Mar 10, 2006 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

aud1ophile

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm kinda having a mind block right now. I'm going to get the PA2v2 simply because of the support that Gary provides, plus I want an amp ^_^ However, when it comes down to the headphones, this is where i'm lost. I have a gaming headset called the Icemat Siberia. I'm thinking about either getting the HD555(all around-gaming/music/portable with amp) for $112, the Alessandro MS-1s(heard it's the best for rock) for $99, the Audio Technica A500(amazing soundstage which makes it great for gaming) for $107, or any other cans you can suggest. However, since I already have a gaming headset, I really doubt that i'm going to need headphones that do more than decent with gaming. So that leaves headphones to suit my musical taste. As far as open and closed goes, my Siberias are open ear, and it doesn't bother me one bit except for it leaks the sound of my computer fans in and when my family yells. However, I don't want to feel like that music is trapped in and it creates sort of a dizzying effect, for lack of better terms. I'm not looking for a cheap pair of headphones, and i really look for audiophile cans right now. As far as music goes, I like rock/rap/hip-hop/trance/metal, but I do want a comfortable pair of headphones. I've heard that the MS-1's brightness and lack of comfort "scare" people away. Thanks in advance guys.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aud1ophile
Hey, I'm kinda having a mind block right now. I'm going to get the PA2v2 simply because of the support that Gary provides, plus I want an amp ^_^ However, when it comes down to the headphones, this is where i'm lost. I have a gaming headset called the Icemat Siberia. I'm thinking about either getting the HD555(all around-gaming/music/portable with amp) for $112, the Alessandro MS-1s(heard it's the best for rock) for $99, the Audio Technica A500(amazing soundstage which makes it great for gaming) for $107, or any other cans you can suggest. However, since I already have a gaming headset, I really doubt that i'm going to need headphones that do more than decent with gaming. So that leaves headphones to suit my musical taste. As far as open and closed goes, my Siberias are open ear, and it doesn't bother me one bit except for it leaks the sound of my computer fans in and when my family yells. However, I don't want to feel like that music is trapped in and it creates sort of a dizzying effect, for lack of better terms. I'm not looking for a cheap pair of headphones, and i really look for audiophile cans right now. As far as music goes, I like rock/rap/hip-hop/trance/metal, but I do want a comfortable pair of headphones. I've heard that the MS-1's brightness and lack of comfort "scare" people away. Thanks in advance guys.

I think I know what you mean by a dizzying effect -- it usually happens to me when I listen to music while I'm tired, so I can't really concentrate to the entire music itself, rather I'm concentrating on a specific sound in the music that is beating really hard and when you do so, that sound just feels loud and deafening. I've owned the MS-1s before, and I think they are great starter cans -- can't comment on the Senns.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 21
Yeah, that's the feeling. I mean, I know the Alessandro/Grado's are amazing for rock, but I also want headphones that I can use with trance/hip-hop/rap.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aud1ophile
Yeah, that's the feeling. I mean, I know the Alessandro/Grado's are amazing for rock, but I also want headphones that I can use with trance/hip-hop/rap.

I used to use them for trance (that's the only music I listen to on a daily basis) and they were good, although I think my DT880s now are better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 21
The MS-1's aren't full-blown Grado's and don't share that same level of agressiveness. They are a smoother balanced 'phone better suited to a wider range of music so I tend to disagree with the notion that the MS-1 is a rock 'phone. It's definitly more than that.

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
The MS-1's aren't full-blown Grado's and don't share that same level of agressiveness. They are a smoother balanced 'phone better suited to a wider range of music so I tend to disagree with the notion that the MS-1 is a rock 'phone. It's definitly more than that.

Well, it is true that they are much more neutral than the typical Grado, but they still have the same punch that Grados have. I have to agree that they are more than just rock phones. IMO, the HD555 and MS-1 compliment each other very well. If you ask me, I'd get both. If you can't do that, then get either of them first (you can't lose), then after awhile get the other.

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Well, it is true that they are much more neutral than the typical Grado, but they still have the same punch that Grados have. I have to agree that they are more than just rock phones. IMO, the HD555 and MS-1 compliment each other very well. If you ask me, I'd get both. If you can't do that, then get either of them first (you can't lose), then after awhile get the other.

That kinda makes me want to turn to comfortability which decides what I get first... and I think the 555s win with that hands down...

However, do you think I should go with a different approach, kinda toward the IEMs? I'm alittle hesitant toward them though, because the only earbuds i've ever had were sony. Does anyone think I should go with Ultimate Ears super.fi 3($89) or the Shure E2Cs ($100)? or should I just keep the battle between the MS-1s and the 555s? Either way, I won't take any of them with me and my mp3 player on the public bus.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 21
Forget about the IEM's if you are going to use the cans at home. Ok what I would do is the following:

1. Forget about the AMP you want.

2. Buy the Audio Technica's A900 with all your money.

3. Toss the siberia's in the garbage can, and use the A900 for everything.

4. If you do a lot of listening and that "dizzyness" issue really bothers you, I would spend $15 on a pair of Koss KSC-75's to compliment the A900s.

Mar 10, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 21
My first three sets of phones were the e2c, 555 and Grado SR-60, in that order. I sold the e2c and still have the 555 and SR-60, but primarily listen to my HD600 and SR-325i.)

My thoughts:

I would stay away from the e2c for home use. They are ok for portable (not great), and you can do MUCH better with a full-sized headphone in the same price range. (Your $100 price seems high for the e2c, though.)

The Senns are much more comfortable than Grado. The Grados are not UNcomfortable (to me), just not as comfortable as the Senns. I can go about an hour or so with the Grados, but I can listen for half a work day with the Senns.

Most everything you read about the Grados is true. They are bright. They are forward. They can be fatiguing. They rock. Hard.

The Senns are darker. After listening to my Grados for a while and then going to the Senns, the Senns do seem to lack treble in comparison. It's there, just not as pronounced. Most everything you read about the Senns is true. Wider soundstage. Laid back sound signature. As far as a "veil", well, to me it's more a factor of what you are used to or prefer. Certainly the treble of the Senns seems a bit rolled off compared to the Grados, but after sticking with the Senns for a while, they perform very well, especially for stuff that's a bit more laid back. My favorite music with the Senns would have to be anything by Steely Dan. Not that the Senns can't do rock, just that I prefer the Grados.

Anyway, FWIW, if you can swing it, consider getting a Grado/Alessandro AND a Sennheiser. It's a great combination, IMO. And the nice part is you can listen to them for a while and still get a pretty good resale in the forums here, if you decide you like one better or want to upgrade.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 21
well, if I do get a pair of headphones, I really want them to be all rounded. and I'm just kinda thinking back and forth between the 555s and the MS-1s. Don't ask why though.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 21
I personally would not go with the HD-555. I am getting the MS-1 soon after owning the HD-555 and disliking it. The sound is just very dull, droning and boring. It sounded good at first until I compared it to more exciting headphones and realized they were pretty bad for me.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 21
well, considering I already have headphones specialized in gaming, and they're good for movies too, I might as well go with the MS-1s, which can handle all music genres easily, but surpasses in rock/metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back