HD495 mods
Jul 26, 2002 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

daviduk

New Head-Fier
Hi,
My HD495's seem to sound much better with the foam earpads removed but they are rather uncomfortable to use like this for long - has anyone else tried this and found the same?
Any way to make them more comfortable or any other mods worth doing with these phones?

David

Jul 27, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 7
um... 495's are good cans

dont' remove the pads
get a good amp like a total airhead

and you'll see the difference, it's huge

those cans are good but power hungry

(impedance does't directly mean effeciency)

Jul 27, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 7
HI: I know of a good mode for the 495s. Power,power,power,power,power,power,power, and more power.

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies.
I bought these phones about 5 weeks ago based on reviews on this board but was initially very disappointed with them,mainly because they seemed to distort badly when used at high volume.
After 40 hours use they are a lot better but still don't like to be
pushes hard. The foam earpads are very thick and this keeps the drivers quite far from your ears- I think part of the reason they sound better without the earpads is that the drivers are much closer to your ears and so the amp volume can be reduced -I'm using an old sugden A48 amp which is quite powerful.

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the replies.
I bought these phones about 5 weeks ago based on reviews on this board but was initially very disappointed with them,mainly because they seemed to distort badly when used at high volume.
After 40 hours use they are a lot better but still don't like to be
pushes hard. The foam earpads are very thick and this keeps the drivers quite far from your ears- I think part of the reason they sound better without the earpads is that the drivers are much closer to your ears and so the amp volume can be reduced -I'm using an old sugden A48 amp which is quite powerful.

Jul 30, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
The only mod worth doing...

1. Open the lid of your trash can.
2. Throw the 495's in.
3. Close the lid.

Caution, this mod is permanent !
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back