1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HD414 SL, to mod or not to mod?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by qui audit, Oct 28, 2011.
  1. Qui audit
    I'm a bit of a new guy round here and my first forage into Head-Fi resulted in me purchasing my HD598s which I love, however I do still have a burning desire to start down the DIY route. I've never really done anything like it so I'm considering learning a few tricks on my Dad's old HD 414 SL. Does anybody know any decent mods, re-cables or general improvements I can make to them fairly simply. I'm not too worried if I mess them up but it would be nice to have them as a portable pair until I get something new (possibly SR80i or HD-25 ii).

2. Uncle Erik Contributor
    I have an old pair of HD-414s. I like them the way they are - they're nice headphones.

If you're interested in DIY, try building a CMoy. That will give you the skills you need to build more amps.

3. Qui audit
    I might have a go first just to make sure my soldering is solid. I don't want to have to spend a lot on one though, how much do you think the parts would cost? Or should I be heading on over to one of the many CMoy threads right now. Aside from improving my DIY ability, I at least want to recable the 414s, I thought it might just be me but everywhere else people agree that the cable is unbelievably microphonic!