HD280's and JMT next, but then what?
Apr 14, 2002 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

violeta88

500+ Head-Fier
I need a pair of good, cheap headphones for broadcasting school, so I've decided to make my next headphone purchase a HD280 and a JMT instead of the Stax SR-001 in-ear electrostatics that I was going to get. But, since I am going to have a job after I get out of school, I've decided that I can save up for some REAL headphones in the $500 range. My first idea was a Stax Classic from EIFL. I don't care about the lack of tactile bass, and the smallish while at the same time large soundstage that characterizes the Stax sound seems very intriguing. As does the hyper-detail afforded by electrostatics. But, are there better headphones out there for around the same amount of money that I should also be considering, if so, could you give me a comparison between them and the Stax? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 14, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 34
Have you considered Etymotics in place of those Staxs? You'd probably get very close to those Staxs (some say better), and you'd save a good $100+. You apparently have used Koss Plugs so canalphones apparently don't bother you. You now have an amp so you can easily run a 4S or 4P/4S, whatever suits your fancy. And there's just no substitute for 27db of isolation.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 34
I HATE canalphones. First, they don't stay in my ears, second they HURT. ICK. Plus, I just can't see myself spending $300 for little pieces of plastic. I'd be afraid to put them in my ear. I'm talking about something more, CIRCUMAURAL and sturdy. Build quality is one thing the Staxes are lacking on I've heard, but if they are built well enough in the right places, connections and such, and sound great, it'll make up for that. But, if there are some headphones that will sound better than a Stax classic when they are coupled with a JMT, let me know. Because if I'm shelling out that type of money, I want to get the best I can. And remember I can't exactly demo any of these anywhere, so I'm going purely on what is being told to me and what my preferences are. And luck.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 34
I hate the idea of ramming down your ear as well, but I'm still going to try the Etys. If you ever want to find true headphone heaven, you really have to open up your mind. Ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to trying to find out what works best for you. If you deny everything, how the hell are you going to find out what you like???

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 34
I'm not sure, but has anybody else on Headfi ever complained about the Etymotics hurting? I know some people can't get a good seal. Etymotics shouldn't hurt, at least with the foams, because the foams adapt to the shape of your ear canal.

My point being, if I had $500 to spend, the first thing I would look at are the Etymotics BEFORE going over the Etymotic's pricepoint of $260, regardless of how you feel about canalphones. I would at LEAST try them out, and hell if you don't like em, send em back to Headroom, and then blow the full $500 on whatever you want. It is just very, very, very hard to beat the Etymotic's pricepoint for what you get. Etymotics are very good at stopping you from considering more expensive headphones.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 34
They just seem too high maintenance for me. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to open up the little headphone up every two months to change a filter. I'd rather have a pair of headphones I just slap on my head and zone out into the music, not have to fiddle with fit every time I put the things in my ear. What I'm wondering is if the CD3000's would be better or worse than the Stax Classic II. That's what I've really got it down to.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 34
Hey, you know, Violeta, you really don't need to spend friggin' $500 on a headphone! Many people, who have heard more expensive 'phones, still prefer the ATH-W100, my 'phone of choice. For instance, 88Sound heard the $4000 Sony R10 and compared it to the W100, and he said when driven by an EMP that in some cases he enjoyed the sound of W100 more! Headphone bliss comes not in amount spent (remember the law of diminishing returns) but in the amount researched. If you research and find a headphone that fits your needs or wants, go for it! It odesn't have to be a $500 Stax Basic System II, but it can be! If I had to to guess, I would say that an EMP/W100 combo is better sounding than the Stax Basic or Classic System II! Just a guess/prediction, though, from what I've heard from others.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 34
How much would an EMP/W100 combo cost? I'm not saying I wanted to spend $500 on headphones, I wanted to spend $500 on the total system. All $500 really meant was I want something better than a HD600.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 34
I know the price of the ATH-W100's. $330 from Vincent Chan (plus wire transfer, which can vary in cost). But I have not the slightest clue as to how much an EMP costs. Shoot 88Sound a PM and he'll tell you!
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I hate the idea of ramming down your ear as well, but I'm still going to try the Etys. If you ever want to find true headphone heaven, you really have to open up your mind. Ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to trying to find out what works best for you. If you deny everything, how the hell are you going to find out what you like???

Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
All $500 really meant was I want something better than a HD600.

Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
No such thing.

Ahhh! For once you give a little good advice and then you go and ruin it by contradicting yourself
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back