HD280pro--most uncomfortable headphone ever?
Jun 14, 2002 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kubernetes

100+ Head-Fier
Holy cow! I just got these for my brother and I'm burning them in for him. The sound is good already (lowest bass I've ever heard), but the comfort!
mad.gif
Who designed these things? I mean, adjusting the headband expands the headphones horizontally, not vertically! So there are three points of contact--two super-clamping earpieces (which is fine) and then the top of the headband which digs into your skull. OWWW!

Jun 14, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

and then the top of the headband which digs into your skull. OWWW!

Yeah, especially if you are folically-challenged like me
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
!

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 16
If you adjust the headband out far enough, it will start to move vertically, but then you've got the entire weight of the headphones on your ears, and they're pretty heavy. I'm not sure what you can do about it... maybe a small pillow between the headband and your head?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 16
I had a pair of 580s and they were very comfortable. It's just amazing to me that they can't build a pair of collapsable headphones that actually fit well and are comfortable. People talk about Grados being uncomfortable, but they're so much better than these torture phones. I'm seriously considering returning these.
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 16
actually, I didn't find my 580s to be uncomfortable. It just that, on occasion, it would seem that they were clamping on to my head. Like I said, I fixed that.

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 16
I don't really notice the pressure on top of my head that much, but the head clamping did bother me at first. I've pretty much gotten used to the feeling though. Still waaaayy more comfortable to me than my SR 80s.

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 16
the clamping of the 280's is making me get rid of them and pick up a pair of beyer 250-80's. the top of the head doesnt bother me at all, but the earpieces get annoying. if taking off a pair of headphones is a big relief after using them for 30mins or less, then i dont care how good the sound is.

Jun 14, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 16
I have to admit one thing: the bass is deeper and more visceral in these things than any other phones I've ever heard.

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 16
I found the 280s mostly horizontal adjustment annoying too. So, I bent them together at the flexible middle section. Not too much of course. I'd push the sides together and rock them back and forth a bit. Now the headband has a more natural looking curve to it and the adjusters move more down than out. Before I bent them I used to have mine out to max or a notch less on each side. Now they're at about three or four in from max extension and they fit so much better.

(HBZ)

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by pitstain
the clamping of the 280's is making me get rid of them and pick up a pair of beyer 250-80's. the top of the head doesnt bother me at all, but the earpieces get annoying.

Not to be a killjoy, but while I love the sound of my DT250-80, I'm one of the few people who finds them uncomfortable -- the headband really digs into the crown of my head
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back