HD280 vs Beats by Dre
Mar 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #16 of 48
Beats are definitely more comfortable than HD280 I'll tell you that.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you seriously suggesting the K271s after talking about wanting more bass??

I'd look at the DT770 (though the version I heard wasn't that bassy either, very balanced actually) or the D2000 (FWIR, never tried them)

yeah my point was that anything has more bass than the HD280.
And yeah IMO the K271s has more and better bass than the HD280.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #18 of 48
really? I know the K271s have good bass (what's there anyway
tongue.gif
) but the HD280 must be really low on bass then.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #19 of 48
The characteristics that appealed to me the most about the beats were there comfort, style, and noise cancellation. And, as far as I can tell, the headphones suggested like the D2000 or K271s are laking in several of those areas. I'm willing to spend $300, but I want to make sure they're as comfortable as the beats, have good noise cancellation, aren't ugly, and having better sound quality that my current HD280s. Is there such a headphone? Also, I was wondering if noise canceling headphones like the beats can have a good soundstage, like an open headphone but with noise cancellation.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 48
Also, I read the Beats have a built in amplifier. I mostly list to music from my computer (iMac) or iPod in Apple lossless (300-900 kbps) quality. Should this be a deciding factor to get the beats over other headphones that require an additional amplifier?

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 48
Listening to the Best Buy booth, I believe that my DT770s sounded much better (buyers bias). However, because of the HUGE difference in volume I could not accurately tell differences. Nevertheless, the Dres felt like they were EQed to a loudness curve and it appeared to fart bass. Moreover, I assume it was because of harsh use, but the NC circuit made a swishy noise on top of the music.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 48
Objectively from what I've read, The Beats are the best ANC headphones out there.
Best of a overpriced, almost useless sub category of headphones. The only real use for ANC headphones are flights as IEM's can be uncomfortable. And yes, many standard headphones beat it sound quality and for cheaper.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REMEMBER, Dr. Dre Beats speaks quality and awesomeness because it was created by Monster! And we know Monster makes quality cables with no influence of marketing on their prices, logically deduce their only headphones, Dr. Dre Beats at $300 means its quality. And that $300 has nothing to do with marketing, its solid research and development behind that price. And of course, when I want a headphone designed, I turn to Dr. Dre cause he's so smart.

Hey, thanks for the advice! I just picked a pair up at Fry's and listening to them now. Eww, so much bass!

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #24 of 48
I tried listening to the Beats at a demo pod in Ultimate Electronics. The volume was set so high that it was intolerable even for a couple of seconds, and I could not find a volume control! I therefore still do not know what they sound like.

(By the way, I noticed that these were self-powered. Does this imply that they are meant to be connected directly to a source, without an amp?)

Mar 17, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by egarren7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to buy a new headphone. I currently hve the Senn HD280, but I am considering getting the Beats by Dre for their comfort and style. I have a had a chance to try them on, but I am not good at determing audio quality. I am wondering if anyone knows how the Beats compare to the HD280 in terms of audio quality, comfort and any other characteristics. If it is better, what other headphones would you suggest for around the same price range? Thanks!

I've listened to the Beats by Dr. Dre and I thought they were total crap. Stylistically I guess the looked ok.

Instead, I picked up a pair of Grado SR325is headphones (the same price) but only 1000% better. If you want comfortable noise canceling headphones, take a look at the Bose QC2/QC3 or Audio Technica headphones first.

After hearing these, Dr. Dre should have his medical license revoked!

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #26 of 48
if u r willing to spend that level of money then Dr. Dre and HD280 are not the best option out there.

i think many will agree with me.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if u r willing to spend that level of money then Dr. Dre and HD280 are not the best option out there.

i think many will agree with me.

So far one of the best post in this thread. As opposed to useless bashing and stand up wanna bees Anyhoo I have pair of HD280's (gave them to my daughter) and I've heard the Beats. For the money there are MANY more closed cans that will sound better or give more comfort. and in some cases BOTH. As suggested check out the Denon D2000's. There are a pair for sale on this site in the sale forum.

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #28 of 48
Have a good look at the build quality before buying the Beats. The right ear cup seems to be prone to breaking. I checked them out myself at Future Shop. There definitely seems to be a weakness where the cup pivots. If you read the customer reviews on the future shop website (I looked at futureshop.ca) a number of them mention the right cup breaking off. Also, I've heard it rattles if your'e walking. Something to consider...

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a good look at the build quality before buying the Beats. The right ear cup seems to be prone to breaking. I checked them out myself at Future Shop. There definitely seems to be a weakness where the cup pivots. If you read the customer reviews on the future shop website (I looked at futureshop.ca) a number of them mention the right cup breaking off. Also, I've heard it rattles if your'e walking. Something to consider...

Ahhh...ear cup falling off...reminds me of D2000.
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REMEMBER, Dr. Dre Beats speaks quality and awesomeness because it was created by Monster! And we know Monster makes quality cables with no influence of marketing on their prices, logically deduce their only headphones, Dr. Dre Beats at $300 means its quality. And that $300 has nothing to do with marketing, its solid research and development behind that price. And of course, when I want a headphone designed, I turn to Dr. Dre cause he's so smart.

Dre doesn't seem to dumb to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back