HD280 Pro + Tack Mod = ?
Feb 20, 2007 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
I had been considering the "blu-tack" mod for my HD280 Pro cans for a while now. Last week I bought a pack of "HandiTak" at a 99 cent store, which appears to be the same as "Blu-Tack", but it's yellow.

So tonight I decided to give this a try. The bass is so much more powerful; it is shocking. These cans actually compete with the bass of my Ultrasone Proline 650, but have a much more visceral, pounding quality to it (for all you bass heads out there). Everything else still seems in order. I had to adjust my EQ a little to compensate for the increased bass (from where I had it set for my Ultrasone Proline 650). This mod improves these cans so much I'd estimate if it sounded like this new it would retail from $130 to $150. And it sounds good with the genres I tried: classical, jazz, rock, and techno/trance... what a difference! To me though it's most noticeable improvement is with techno/trance since its bass is SO improved and since I had used my HD280 for listening to techno/trance at work. Good thing I don't use these anymore at work; with this much of a difference I'd never get any work done. I can't believe these are my HD280!
basshead.gif

It took me about an hour in all to do the mod. If doing it again I could easily do it under 30 minutes. I'll be glad to help anyone interested in this mod.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 41
i did the blue tak mod w/mine too. They sounded much better...the bass was heavy AND punchy...just the way i like it.

Right now they are getting repaired at sennheiser. right now i'm using my sr60's and let me tell you I CAN NOT WAIT to get my 280's back.

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did the blue tak mod w/mine too. They sounded much better...the bass was heavy AND punchy...just the way i like it.

Right now they are getting repaired at sennheiser. right now i'm using my sr60's and let me tell you I CAN NOT WAIT to get my 280's back.

I hear you. Those SR60's don't stand a chance. This mod really transforms the HD280. I'm now listening to the Bee Gee's "Staying Alive". Sounds very good. The bass with this mod really is something.

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 41
help me, please.. please post pictures if you can
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 41
thanks a lot 1time! will be waiting for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 41
Everything seemed to go fine with the re-mod of my HD280, except I didn't have sound from one can. Opened up it back up and sure enough one of the little wires became detached from the solder. Hard to recommend this mod when it's apparently very easy to do damage. I'm pretty sure I can solder it back on, but won't be trying it tonight. Sorry, that's all for now.
frown.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 41
ah, too bad! good luck though, hope you get the piece back together
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 41
I wouldnt mind an explanation on the mod?

And the pics/tutorial when you solder the wire back on if possible!

Cheers

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 41
I justdid this, and the hd280 pro sucks a lot less, but it still isn't good for rock. But when you listen to rap, you can feel your cans vibrating. Pretty cool,
basshead.gif
. Here's the picture that i found and used (just put the cotton-flat pads you would use for removing make-up which my mom has a lot of -in the middle and tak around it just like the picture):

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3126fw6.jpg

Oh. and to open them, take off the pads and unscrew the screws and pull open. Putting the pads back on is somewhat difficult, i recommend using a toothpick or small flathead screwdriver to slide around the pads to get them back on.

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I justdid this, and the hd280 pro sucks a lot less, but it still isn't good for rock. But when you listen to rap, you can feel your cans vibrating. Pretty cool,
basshead.gif
. Here's the picture that i found and used (just put the cotton-flat pads you would use for removing make-up which my mom has a lot of -in the middle and tak around it just like the picture):

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3126fw6.jpg

Oh. and to open them, take off the pads and unscrew the screws and pull open. Putting the pads back on is somewhat difficult, i recommend using a toothpick or small flathead screwdriver to slide around the pads to get them back on.

Yay! That's my picture.
tongue.gif

I blue-tack modded a while ago and am still rockin' the tack. There's a slight discontinuity in the bass FR but I don't notice it when I'm using them portably.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay! That's my picture.
tongue.gif

I blue-tack modded a while ago and am still rockin' the tack. There's a slight discontinuity in the bass FR but I don't notice it when I'm using them portably.

I tried to find the thread with your post so I could give you credit, but the search button has not been my friend lately. Thanks, your picture has done me good.
280smile.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 41
After listening to my HD280 for a while and being awed by its complete transformation, I decided I had way too much bass for its own good and so I needed to re-work my mod. I had used the entire 1 ounce of "HandiTak" that I bought from a 99 cent store, 1/2 ounce in each HP.

Here's my HD280 ready to be opened up again.

HD2801.jpg

Here's the earpad coming off. Just pull on it near the seam and it comes right off, no problem.

HD2802.jpg

Here's the earpad off and the 2 screws loosened.

HD2803.jpg

And here's 1/2 ounce of HandiTak that I was about to take out.

HD2804.jpg

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 41
Here's my HD280 after I removed the HandiTak. It sticks together for the most part and is easy to remove.

HD2805.jpg

Here's the 1/2 ounce of HandiTak after I had rolled it into a ball and cut in two with a knife. I estimate I cut the two pieces at 60 / 40, with the larger piece on the left. I used the larger piece since I guessed 1/4 ounce might not be enough.

HD2806.jpg

Here's the larger piece after I rolled and stretched it to be long enough to fit.

HD2807.jpg

And then here it is finished. I found a combination of mashing it down and smearing it around with my thumb tip worked best. It takes a little while, maybe 10 or 15 minutes. I ended up with a very thin covering, probably less than 1 millimeter thick.

HD2808.jpg

I can't say how soon I will get around to fixing the broken wire connection, but I will post back after doing so. Just thought for now I'd post some pics for those interested.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say how soon I will get around to fixing the broken wire connection, but I will post back after doing so. Just thought for now I'd post some pics for those interested.

How did they break?

Maybe there is a head-fier that lives near you that could repair your phones. In fact, anyone with a soldering iron could do it; just find some one who has one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back