HD280 Pro + Tack Mod = ?
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess this should be a warning to prospective blue-tack modders: Don't overfill or at least avoid the area near the driver solder posts!

I agree. 1/2 ounce of tack definitely seems like too much to me and 1/4 ounce likely would prove to be too little.

Quote:

How did they break?

Being aware these wires can detach, I was fairly careful doing this mod. And I was not aware of having done something to cause it to detach. I suspect the wire detached simply by having been moved too much, kind of like when you bend a wire back and forth enough times it then breaks in two; the wires are very thin and seem very susceptible to breaking at the solder joint. I probably would not have had this problem had I done this mod right the first time.

Quote:

Maybe there is a head-fier that lives near you that could repair your phones. In fact, anyone with a soldering iron could do it; just find some one who has one.

I have a soldering iron, but I likely will take it to a local shop for repair. I'm just not in a hurry about it since I now use my Ultrasone Proline 650 to listen to techno / trance instead of my HD280. And with now owning my 2 other new Senns, my HD280 is practically out use now. I enjoyed it very much for a couple years even before trying this mod.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soymilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would you say the modded hd280 compares to a hd580?

nice question. i would probably be upgrading to an hd 580 when i get the money
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #20 of 41
I just did my tack mod for my HD280 and now the bass is much deeper and has more impact without affecting the mid and highs. I am pretty happy with the result but the driver i have is different from that of 1Time. My driver is white

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Millsie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the tack mod easy enough to do?

It's easy to open the headphone but it took me 3 attempts to get the correct sound.

Dec 23, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did my tack mod for my HD280 and now the bass is much deeper and has more impact without affecting the mid and highs. I am pretty happy with the result but the driver i have is different from that of 1Time. My driver is white

For the benefit of readers interested in this mod, about how much tack was the right amount for you? I no longer own my HD280, and never got it modded right with the tack to where I could enjoy it.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 41
I just got a pair of HD280s and the bass is sorta weak, i want to attempt to try this soon, but i really dont want to ruin the cans. What can you guys suggest that i be careful of when i open them or how can i properly place the tack? Thanks!

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by serialtoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of HD280s and the bass is sorta weak, i want to attempt to try this soon, but i really dont want to ruin the cans. What can you guys suggest that i be careful of when i open them or how can i properly place the tack? Thanks!

Welcome to Head-Fi.

What sound card or other equipment are you plugging your HD280 into?

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi.

What sound card or other equipment are you plugging your HD280 into?

Thanks for the welcome 1Time. I wanna give a bit of a background here. Ive always heard and read about high end equipment but i never had the know how in what to buy and most importantly, what do i even like. So with that i went with something to start out with, i bought a Creative XF-i Platinum and Sennheiser HD280Pro. I will be using the headset mainly for rock and electronica. It might also be plugging into a Zune or some kind of MP3 player. Most of my music is in 320kbps and im considering re-ripping my cds into a higher quality flavor, maybe even FLAC.
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Try using an EQ to dip the mids a bit first, then if the bass isn't up to scratch give this mod a try. The 280s love to be EQed, unlike, say, Grados.

EDIT: Also, sorry about your wallet. HD280s are how I started into this addictive hobby.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Thanks for the welcome 1Time. I wanna give a bit of a background here. Ive always heard and read about high end equipment but i never had the know how in what to buy and most importantly, what do i even like. So with that i went with something to start out with, i bought a Creative XF-i Platinum and Sennheiser HD280Pro. I will be using the headset mainly for rock and electronica. It might also be plugging into a Zune or some kind of MP3 player. Most of my music is in 320kbps and im considering re-ripping my cds into a higher quality flavor, maybe even FLAC.
L3000.gif

OK, the x-fi > HD280 should be a good start. Adding an amp should help the bass. But even without an amp, the first thing to do is burn in the HD280 for a couple weeks. Continuously play it at a loud volume with some bass heavy electronica / rock. If the HD280 clamps too tight, you also may want to fully extend the headband and stretch it over about a 9 inch stack of books while it burns in. Then listen and consider the tack mod after burn in. A generic version of blu-tack can be bought at Office Depot for $2 or for $1 if found at a dollar store.

As mentioned earlier, EQing the HD280 should help, but I wouldn't bother doing so until after burn in.

If you're not careless, the HD280 can be opened and closed with little risk of damage. However, what caused a connection to sever in mine was repeatedly opening and closing it, and I didn't do this very many times before it broke, maybe about 5+ times. The wires are tiny in it, much like in my JBL410 Reference. Oddly enough, I've opened and closed my JBL dozens of times (modding) and no longer sense any chance of damaging it.

And so if modding the HD280, I suggest the key to minimizing the risk of damage is to open it, mod it, and leave it alone. The problems you may have with this are you may find you have put too much tack in it (as I did) or you may find you prefer its sound without the mod. And then you'll have to open it back up. If modding it, I suggest using very little tack.

If owning the HD280 again, I would probably rely first on amping it and second EQing it for better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back