hd25 or TMA-1 for portable use??
Dec 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Hughkk

100+ Head-Fier
I don't listen to classical music.
I mostly listen to the top40 UK music, which is mostly club electro music

which HP will suit me best??
i want one which i can use for travel and in coach etc.

driving it with no amp just a ipod.
and mostly 320kbs mp3, some 256 ones, and a few WAV

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
but apparently tma-1's driver have higher resolution? and bigger soundstage??

hd25 is also quite old, and i wonder if there are updated version of it by senn soon

TMA-1 is one of the most over rated headphones, the drivers are garbage. Grainy, mids disappear, poor
articulation and little separation.

If it were not for the Beats Studios they would get my vote as worst headphone for the money.

Total trash.

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
TMA-1 is one of the most over rated headphones, the drivers are garbage. Grainy, mids disappear, poor
articulation and little separation.

If it were not for the Beats Studios they would get my vote as worst headphone for the money.

Total trash.

thanks for ur input.

so do u think that senn will update their driver in hd25 soon?
apparently they have been using that driver for over a decade.

i am really tempted to get teh HD25-I for portable use.

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
also, want to ask if HD25 is good for club/dance music??

i rarely listen to rock btw

It's a DJ headphone primarily so it excels with all those genres, very forward sounding as in front or
 second row sound presentation.

Most commonly used headphone for pro DJ's in my opinion.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
but apparently its soundstage is very very small? is that true??

and there are a few version of hd25 like II/-i 
is there any difference between them??

HD25-II is the one you'd want, I believe only the SP sounds different, true that sound stage is pretty small.

Anything forward sounding for top40 is going to have tiny sound stage, otherwise it would sound distant.

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 16
A lot of TMA hate up in here..!

I for one love them.  Very portable, very durable, stylish, and most importantly, GOOD SOUND.

Dunno how much of a chance the others have given it, but I understand where they're coming from if they only auditioned it for no more than a day.  After burn-in/adjustment (which for me took about a whole day), the sound is actually quite impressive.  Tight, detailed bass, solid mids, recessed treble BUT high resolution.  These cans respond to EQ-ing quite well, and you can tweak the mids and trebs to your liking without distortion.  After the initial adjustment period I tweaked my EQ settings to basically look like an increasing piece-wise function starting from the mids, ending up with about a +3dbs peak at the highest frequency.  However, after more listening, I have un-EQ'ed them to my satisfaction.

However, it must be said that these cans are quite dark, and is not for everyone.  I think it's a love or hate thing ^^

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
A lot of TMA hate up in here..!

I for one love them.  Very portable, very durable, stylish, and most importantly, GOOD SOUND.

Dunno how much of a chance the others have given it, but I understand where they're coming from if they only auditioned it for no more than a day.  After burn-in/adjustment (which for me took about a whole day), the sound is actually quite impressive.  Tight, detailed bass, solid mids, recessed treble BUT high resolution.  These cans respond to EQ-ing quite well, and you can tweak the mids and trebs to your liking without distortion.  After the initial adjustment period I tweaked my EQ settings to basically look like an increasing piece-wise function starting from the mids, ending up with about a +3dbs peak at the highest frequency.  However, after more listening, I have un-EQ'ed them to my satisfaction.

However, it must be said that these cans are quite dark, and is not for everyone.  I think it's a love or hate thing ^^

what actually 'dark' means??

one of the reason i consider this is because it look decent, and i also prefer HD25 adidas original version, both look good

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 16
I listen to mostly club music, and while the clamp of the HD 25-1 II's isn't comfortable for some, for portables I haven't heard a better headphone.  If you like less treble, more sound stage, deeper sub bass extension, then the HD 25-1 II's aren't for you.  If you do want a portable, great punchy upper/mid bass, slightly bright treble with decent mids, and great isolation, then the HD 25-1 II's are nearly unbeatable at their price point.  There's a pretty good reason why Sennheiser hasn't really updated this headphone for so long.  It just works great for what it was designed for. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I listen to mostly club music, and while the clamp of the HD 25-1 II's isn't comfortable for some, for portables I haven't heard a better headphone.  If you like less treble, more sound stage, deeper sub bass extension, then the HD 25-1 II's aren't for you.  If you do want a portable, great punchy upper/mid bass, slightly bright treble with decent mids, and great isolation, then the HD 25-1 II's are nearly unbeatable at their price point.  There's a pretty good reason why Sennheiser hasn't really updated this headphone for so long.  It just works great for what it was designed for. 

thank you very much

think i will get the adidas version of hd25

any advice on which hd25 to get?? u know there's lots of version of it....

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 16
The HD 25-1 II's really only come in 3 flavors that I know of.

HD 25-1 II : 70ohm original 1.5m cable w/ right angled plug
HD 25-13  : 600ohm version 3m cable w/ straight plug  (Usually hard to find)
HD 25 Originals Adidas :  Same as HD 25-1 II but with Adidas markings and colors

One note, the HD 25-SP is not the same as the HD 25-1 II.  They have some similar looks and the cups look nearly identical but it is a different headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back