HD25 choice. old/beat up or brand new?
Mar 21, 2006 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thekid22

100+ Head-Fier
So I accidentally bought my way into 2 pairs of HD25-1s. it happens to the best of us.

1 pair is virtually brand new. (made in Ireland)
the other is old and beat up, with peeling top foam on its 2nd set of earpads. (made in Germany)

Here's the problem, the old beat up pair sounds much better.
I assume it is just burn in, as the HD25s have a notoriously long burn in.
BUT, The old ones sound much better. should I keep the old ones?
I should probably burn in the new ones for a few days and decide then... but in the meantime: thoughts? preference? conspiracy theories about production country of origin or changes in construction over time?

thanks

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 4
keep both pairs. Yes, it takes aprox 130 hrs to burn them in...........and one of the "joys" of the HD25 series is the interchangability of parts. First step for both pairs is to get HD25-13 copper-cored cable which will definitely improve the sound of both pairs (#74532 [16.4€]). Country of origin, age........no difference, forgeddaboutit. I also (like some Grado-ites) find the best comfort is to snap on a Beyer dt770 headband cover (eg. after first removing those deteriorated headband pads you mentioned...or even the pads on the new ones if you don't tend to spread the "separated" headband)..........lots of us also prefer using the Velour earpads.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Measure the DC resistance of both. Who knows, maybe the old HD25 has a different driver (300/600 ohm).

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 4
Keep the old ones until the new ones are burned in, then sell the old ones. There is no doubt the burn in time is long, I experienced this myself with thr 25-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back