hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 17, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #811 of 3,348
I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair or these. Got the email saying they are in the mail today and im quite excited. $211.00 CAD shipped to Canada, not the best but hey, what can you do. The local music store wants $264.00 for them out the door so im happy with the deal I got. Now we play the waiting game. What would be a good inexpensive amp that would drive these headphones good enough for their full potential? I was thinking an Ibasso D2+ boa, can anyone speak for this amp with their HD25's? if not which portable amp do you use to drive them?

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #812 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The pleather pads my special edition HD 25 came with, to my ears, sound much better then the 3rd party velour pads I purchased seperately.

That's good to read...I still haven't bothered to order velour pads for my special edition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a good inexpensive amp that would drive these headphones good enough for their full potential? I was thinking an Ibasso D2+ boa, can anyone speak for this amp with their HD25's? if not which portable amp do you use to drive them?

Any decent amp should bring the 25 up a slight notch. Amping is not a must unless your DAP truly sucks.

I haven't had my 25 long enough to have tried too many portable amps from my past collection...just XM5, SR-71A & Micro Amp. I can easily hear improved bass slam when amped listening to my electronic music.

OH! congrats. I hope you like them.
beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #813 of 3,348
Quote:

What would be a good inexpensive amp that would drive these headphones good enough for their full potential? I was thinking an Ibasso D2+ boa, can anyone speak for this amp with their HD25's? if not which portable amp do you use to drive them?

I typically use my RSA Predator, but the FiiO E5 I have drives them quite nicely. Much better sounding than out of the headphone jack of my 5G IPod.

-Pony

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #814 of 3,348
I have a Fiio E5 too. Due to upgrade very shortly!

Undriven Senns HD25 Mark IIs - just great!!

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #815 of 3,348
Quote:

I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair or these. Got the email saying they are in the mail today and im quite excited. $211.00 CAD shipped to Canada, not the best but hey, what can you do. The local music store wants $264.00 for them out the door so im happy with the deal I got. Now we play the waiting game. What would be a good inexpensive amp that would drive these headphones good enough for their full potential? I was thinking an Ibasso D2+ boa, can anyone speak for this amp with their HD25's? if not which portable amp do you use to drive them?

I drive them with D4, don't know about D2.

The music is so much clearer, with a wider soundstage a real pleasure listening.

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #817 of 3,348
I've been all through the headphone world and few cans have ever done it for me the way the HD25 does...

I've had 2 really expensive cables at different times and didn't like either one of them, especially considering the price. But the HD 650 cable is definitely a worthy upgrade IMO...

Here are my two pair. One cable is 36" and reaches exactly to the bottom of my jeans pocket. The other is only 16" and lets my Shuffle hang like a weightless pendant. The other 6' of that cable got a 1/8" female on it to serve as plugin extension to my GS-1 + MAC, a great setup. I occasionally use my portable amp but really, it's not necessary.

And with the velour pads you're looking at the greatest set of cold-weather dog walkers ever...

Just great headphones and IMO these should be part of any serious canhead's kit.

hd25x2.jpg

-Jim aka 251

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #818 of 3,348
Sweet pics! I really want a pair with the HD650 cable upgrade....

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #819 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiveOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been all through the headphone world and few cans have ever done it for me the way the HD25 does...

I've had 2 really expensive cables at different times and didn't like either one of them, especially considering the price. But the HD 650 cable is definitely a worthy upgrade IMO...

And with the velour pads you're looking at the greatest set of cold-weather dog walkers ever...

Just great headphones and IMO these should be part of any serious canhead's kit.

hd25x2.jpg

-Jim aka 251

Have you tried the Cardas cable upgrade at all? I can't find much info on the net about this. I don't know if these hi-end mods end up racking up the impedance making the HD25s harder to drive.

What did you not like about the hi-end cable modification?

I like the shortened cord idea. The Fiio5 is just the sweetest little porty amp!

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #822 of 3,348
Dec 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #823 of 3,348
I just received mine, upon getting the box in my hands I had mixed reactions, such a light box, nothing im used to. Opened the box saw the headphones, put them on my head and quite the clamp these guys have, by no means good at all. Im listening to them now and im wondering how much longer im going to be able to deal with this clamping force, I guess I have a big head but this is the exact opposite of being comfortable. I just took them off and my ears are pulsing. Does this clamping force let up at all? I was also quite disappointed looking at myself in the mirror with these, these most likely wont leave the house on my head. After reading what everyone has said im kinda underwhelmed with the sound quality out of the box unamped straight into the computer. Did anyone else have feelings like this when the first got them but them later grew to love them?

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #824 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the Cardas cable upgrade at all? I can't find much info on the net about this. I don't know if these hi-end mods end up racking up the impedance making the HD25s harder to drive.

What did you not like about the hi-end cable modification?

I like the shortened cord idea. The Fiio5 is just the sweetest little porty amp!

I've heard the extra cable mod gives them a darker signature, with slightly less emphasis on treble.
HD 650 cable is said to not have any significant change in sound.
I haven't tried a cable mod, but seemed pretty happy with the stock,also Sennheiser recommends the steel cable for a more clear and less warmer sound as these headphones are more of monitors, and the steel cable helps in producing every cling in th the recorded sound.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #825 of 3,348
Quote:

im wondering how much longer im going to be able to deal with this clamping force, I guess I have a big head but this is the exact opposite of being comfortable. I just took them off and my ears are pulsing. Does this clamping force let up at all? I was also quite disappointed looking at myself in the mirror with these, these most likely wont leave the house on my head.

Pics! Or it never happened!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back