hd25-1 impressions thread
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #3,076 of 3,348
Less fluffy earpdas, these ones are perfect, other ones a bit too much.

Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 20.31.44.jpg

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #3,079 of 3,348
Wait a minute, are you guys telling me they moved HD 25 production also? I though it was only 600/650...

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #3,081 of 3,348
yes indeed.
The new HD25 limited edition I got this June is marked "made in Romania".

Holy crap, batman...

Ok I have a pair of these waiting for me when I get home. I am shocked, I guess I will have to leave them in their box as collectors items :p

My Irish buddy will be offended...

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #3,082 of 3,348
Holy crap, batman...

Ok I have a pair of these waiting for me when I get home. I am shocked, I guess I will have to leave them in their box as collectors items :p

My Irish buddy will be offended...
The packaging is resealable, so you can just try them.
My impressions on them is up above. Slightly different from i-II, but I'll definitely recommend them to anyone interested in a portable on ear.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3,083 of 3,348
In Romania they can produce either cheaper, or way better for the same cost. Lot of production of european companies that do not want to move to asia completely is made in Romania, lot of italian companies and all over europe producing there. they have an engineering background, from the comunist era, german influence too, russian influences. they can do crap there better than in ireland, for sure.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #3,084 of 3,348
No, they do not look or feel or age like real leather, because, guess what, they are not leather. No company use leather for such cheap headphones. Also, no fake leather works like real leather, not even similar, so please stop writing crap, all you write is fake crap.
Think you may need to learn to read before engaging your brain to reply. I said categorically that I know they are NOT real leather. Never claimed they are, only that they feel and age like the real thing. Where have I spoke l, as you so charmingly put it, cr*p?!?!

I seriously wonder if you have actually seen, nevermind had the pleasure of owning the aluminium pads for many years. Maybe you are just speculating and enjoying insulting people. Take you time and read my posts again😊

EDIT I understand that maybe English isn't your first language but that means you have to be damn sure you understand and get your facts straight before attacking people

Anyway back to the world of adults. On the subject of Chord; the Mojo is a wonderful, if expensive, partner to the HD25. A superb combination and better than my old GS Voyager. They really do have amazing scalability

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #3,085 of 3,348
Anyway back to the world of adults. On the subject of Chord; the Mojo is a wonderful, if expensive, partner to the HD25. A superb combination and better than my old GS Voyager. They really do have amazing scalability

I think we may have discovered something here. Out of my Mojo I haven’t heard anything (portable) which sounds better. There just seems to be an inherent synergy. Use an external amplifier after the Mojo (I’ve tried a few), and it all falls apart...

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #3,086 of 3,348
600 Ohm vs 70 Ohm

I just did a comparison of made in Romania 70 Ohm capsules vs made in Germany 600 Ohm capsules. Equipment used was a PC with Tidal Master, Oppo UDP-205 as a DAC and Lehmann Linear headphone amp. The 70 ohm capsules were used with stock cables and YAXI red "leather" pads while the 600 Ohm capsules used Oyaide cables and YAXI TypeB pads.

A meter was used to level match the cans. The 600 Ohm capsules were quite well matched while the 70 Ohm capsules were about 1 dB different from each other, 78.0 vs 76.9 dB. The 600 Ohm capsules were measured as 77.4 and 77.2 dB using a 1 kHz sine wave at 1000 Hz, 0 dB. The output of the DAC was maxed out at 100 for the 600 Ohm capsules while it has to be set at 83 for the 70 ohm capsules to match.

Did the 70 Ohm capsules sound better in any way? Yes, they may have been slightly more punchy and they can certainly play louder. Apart from that I found the 600 Ohm capsules preferable, the sound was smoother, more organized and spacious. Listening to the same piece it seemed like there was less going on and it was easier to understand and enjoy the music with 600 Ohm while 70 sounded busy and sometimes confused. There is also a sharpness, treble peak, in the 70 Ohm capsules that is much less pronounced in the 600 Ohm capsules. The peak is a little annoying to me in the 70 version while it is not annoying in the 600s.

Conclusion. If you need it super loud, go with the 70 Ohm version. If you want musical insight, a comfortable long term listening experience and you have equipment that can drive them to your liking, then the 600 Ohm version is preferable. Also, based on the samples I have, quality control for the German made 600 Ohm version may be better. (The German capsules are better matched.)

You can not buy a new 600 Ohm HD 25 but you can get the capsules and make your own. I would recommend it since the capsules are not very expensive and the benefits are quite worthwhile.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,087 of 3,348
Yes it's otherworldly what the Mojo can do to certain headphoned. In my limited experience it seems to excel with relatively low impedence closed back headphones such as the HD25 and also, in my case, Focal Spirit Classic. Transforms the sounstage and feeling of airy openness, and separation. Detailed but unfatiguing natural sound. Less so higher impedence headphones. Beyers at the time for me, and fairly lacklustre

Forget pads and other 'mods' The ultimate upgrade for HD25 users is a Chord Mojo ... Maybe !!? ?!!

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,088 of 3,348
Same experience here. HD25-II and Focal Spirit Pro (and Beyerdynamic DT-48e 25 Ohm)...

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,089 of 3,348
Try the HD 25s out of the RME DAC on high power. Difficult to believe what they're capable of.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #3,090 of 3,348
I've had tried many earphones and IEMs but I keep coming back to my HD25. I recently had my headphone recabled by a local DIYer since the stock steel cable broke. There's a slight difference in the sound signature as the higher frequencies slightly became smooth, mids became a bit more forward, and lows remained impactful with slightly better depth. I don't know if it's nostalgia (first major purchase of my adult life) but I really haven't found a closed headphone that sounds as fun as the HD25. The headphone is 10 years old now and still going strong!

IMG_20200731_101323.jpg

I only use PA2V2 as my amp and I must say it makes the sound more fun. Now, I wonder if I should buy the Mojo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back